On Thursday the US Air Force dropped a M.O.A.B on an underground ISIS facility in a remote part of Afghanistan at the request of US Special Forces attempting to root the troglodytes out. The cost to our brave soldiers would have been horrific via conventional combat. To that end, a M.O.A.B was requested and the request was granted and the bomb was deployed. What resulted was a 2 mile wide crater. Initially 36 jihadis were reported dead. Now the death toll is 94 and climbing including 4 head ISIS commanders. It will never be possible to know the full extent of the damage wrought on the troglodytes since the underground mountainside complex is collapsed plus anyone on the ground would have been evaporated.
Here’s the story from Stars & Stripes:
Afghan official: Death toll from massive US bomb rises to 94, including 4 ISIS commanders
KABUL, Afghanistan — At least 94 Islamic State militants were killed by the largest non-nuclear bomb ever used in combat, an Afghan army spokesman said Saturday.
Maj. Sherin Aqa, head of public affairs for the 201st Corps in eastern Nangarhar province, where the GBU-43B was detonated, said ISIS commanders are among the dead.
“Our latest reports indicate that four main commanders are among the 94 people killed,” Aqa told Stars and Stripes.
He said there are still no signs of civilian casualties. An initial assessment said 36 militants had been killed.
The GBU-43B Massive Ordnance Air Blast bomb, referred to as the “mother of all bombs,” targeted an ISIS tunnel complex in Nangarhar’s Achin district, where the group has been operating for about two years.
Gen. John Nicholson, commander of U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan, speaks at a news conference in Kabul on Friday, April 14, 2017. Nicholson said the GBU-43B bomb was the “right weapon” to use against Islamic State militants.
“This was the right weapon against the right target,” Gen. John Nicholson, commander of U.S. Forces-Afghanistan, told a news conference Friday.
For four weeks prior to the bombing, Afghan special forces tried to penetrate the area, but they were unsuccessful due to the difficult terrain and a belt of improvised explosive devises planted by ISIS fighters, Gen. Dawlat Waziri, spokesman for Afghanistan’s Defense Ministry said.
Afghans have since resumed offensive operations against ISIS, Waziri said.
The United States, as part of its counterterrorism mission in Afghanistan, has been helping Afghan forces battle the local ISIS branch known as Islamic State-Khorasan Province since last year.
Since then, the number of ISIS fighters has dropped to between 600 and 700 from up to 3,000, according to U.S. officials.
The militants have claimed responsibility for a number of high-profile attacks across Afghanistan, including the storming of a military hospital in Kabul last month that killed 50 people. The latest attack claimed by the group occurred on Wednesday when a suicide bomber blew himself up near the Afghan Defense Ministry killing five people.
On April 8, U.S. Special Forces soldier Staff Sgt. Mark R. De Alencar was killed in Nangarhar as part of American efforts to combat the group.