The Purpose of the Senate – Two Excellent Speeches on the Senate Floor

In case anyone missed both of these speeches and has the interest, I recommend viewing both of these as they come from men not only passionate about our constitution but with an up close and intimate knowledge of why America needs to stay true to the words written in the constitution.

They gained that understanding not from words written in a book nor views of others but by questioning and learning for themselves as well as from a less privileged childhood and family backgrounds where freedoms were limited.

Theses two speeches are both worthy of study in schools for their real understanding of what patriotism, our founding purpose, congress, and in particular the Senate should be about.

CSpan Published on Feb 8, 2017
Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) on U.S. Senate: “If this body isn’t capable of having those debates there will be no place in this country where those debates can occur.”

An excellent speech by Rubio.  Kudos.

–#–

A second equally important commentary from the view of the Afro-American prospective is this one by Senator Tim Scott.

Posted February 8, 2017.

–Uriel–

About Uriel

Retired educator and constitutionalist
Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to The Purpose of the Senate – Two Excellent Speeches on the Senate Floor

1. clyde says:

Scott is excellent. Rubio had a lucid moment. He best be careful or Juan McAmnesty will take him out behind the woodshed.

• Uriel says:

Lol Clyde. I was wondering on Rubio also but he drilled it here. It’s the first time I have heard Scott but wow! Instead of castigating the Blacks should be encouraging him.

2. SafeSpace says:

Uriel: If I may ask, could you write a piece on a retired educator’s view of Betsy DeVos? And maybe include some observations about this 2009 statement of an NEA official as to the NEA’s priorities:

National Education Association’s retiring top lawyer, Bob Chanin, speaking at the NEA’s annual meeting in July, 2009:

“Despite what some among us would like to believe it is not because of our creative ideas. It is not because of the merit of our positions. It is not because we care about children and it is not because we have a vision of a great public school for every child. NEA and its affiliates are effective advocates because we have power.”

“And we have power because there are more than 3.2 million people who are willing to pay us hundreds of millions of dollars in dues each year, because they believe that we are the unions that can most effectively represent them, the unions that can protect their rights and advance their interests as education employees.”

“This is not to say that the concern of NEA and its affiliates with closing achievement gaps, reducing dropout rates, improving teacher quality and the like are unimportant or inappropriate. To the contrary. These are the goals that guide the work we do. But they need not and must not be achieved at the expense of due process, employee rights and collective bargaining. That simply is too high a price to pay.”

quotation courtesy Fox Nation 2/23/2011

• Uriel says:

Hmmm okay SafeSpace. As an educator retired myself I would love to get other retired educator’s opinions as well.

• SafeSpace says:

Thank you for considering this! Hard-line conservative commentators and writers have been hollering for years for an end to the federal Dept of Education. Yrs Truly would love to see sensible overview of curricula in public schools, starting with the removal of biased texts by leftists like Howard Zinn. But I never taught in public schools; my experience is limited to part-time stints as an adjunct in for-profit business colleges. Your perspective would be enlightening, I believe.

3. I.R. Wayright says:

How about an opinion from a retired taxpayer?
    I never had kids because I decided to wait until I could afford them.
    My county property taxes, two thirds of which go to support the school district now account to $200 a month. I bought my home in 1975 for $31,000.00. So now, every 16 years I buy that property back.

I started tracking cost on a per child, per year basis. A few years ago it was $11K per student. Then it was $13K, $15K and the next year budget will make it $17k.
    My question is, when is enough, enough?

Back when I was in school it was common for every class to have 30 to 35 students.
    We got a better education than what they are getting today, by far.

Just watch Jesse Watters walking around asking people simple questions that certainly everyone should know the answers to.
    Who bombed us at Pearl Harbor? They didn’t know.
    Is this Maxine Waters world? Did Russia invade Korea?
    I hope Betsy DeVos gets rid of the NEA and teachers once again will be hired and fired based on merit and they all better get ready to handle larger class sizes.

The school district where I live recently sold an elementary school building they were not using. It was sold with a proviso that it could not be used as a school building.
    Why? That restricted the possible price they otherwise could have gotten for it.
    They did not want a charter school opening there that would have been competition for the union teachers. That SUCKs.

Uriel, send SafeSpace that book I sent you.