In all of this hoopla of politics, we tend to forget about those military personnel who are in harms way overseas. I came across this today as usual by researching something else. To those who are far and near in the military, I salute you and thank you for the service you sacrifice for every day.
October 5: Military airstrikes continue against ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq
Release No: 16-095
Oct. 5, 2016
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA – On Oct. 4, coalition military forces conducted 28 strikes against ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq. In Syria, coalition military forces conducted 14 strikes using attack, fighter, and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL targets. Additionally in Iraq, coalition military forces conducted 14 strikes coordinated with and in support of the Government of Iraq using attack, bomber, fighter, and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL targets.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted against ISIL since the last press release:
* Near Abu Kamal, four strikes destroyed three ISIL oil well heads, six supply routes, and an oil pump jack.
* Near Al Shadaddi, two strikes destroyed two ISIL front-end loaders.
* Near Ayn Isa, one strike engaged an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed a vehicle.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, two strikes destroyed four ISIL oil collection pools, three oil well heads, and two vehicles.
* Near Mar’a, five strikes engaged three ISIL tactical units; destroyed three fighting positions and a mortar system; and suppressed a heavy machine gun firing position.
* Near Hit, one strike engaged an ISIL tactical unit.
* Near Kisik, two strikes engaged an ISIL tactical unit; destroyed a vehicle, a tunnel, and a weapons cache; and suppressed a mortar firing position.
* Near Mosul, six strikes engaged an ISIL tactical unit; destroyed three fighting positions, an oil tanker truck, an ISIL-held building, an explosives cache, a weapons cache, a command and control node, and a vehicle; and damaged an oil tanker truck.
* Near Qayyarah, two strikes engaged an ISIL tactial unit, destroyed an ISIL-held building, and damaged a repeater tower power generator.
* Near Ramadi, three strikes engaged an ISIL tactical unit; destroyed a tractor, a vehicle, a VBIED, a supply cache, a tunnel, and an ISIL-held building; and damaged a second ISIL-held building.
Strike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
A strike, as defined in the CJTF releases, means one or more kinetic events that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect for that location. So having a single aircraft deliver a single weapon against a lone ISIL vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of buildings and vehicles and weapon systems in a compound, for example, having the cumulative effect of making that facility (or facilities) harder or impossible to use. Accordingly, CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target.
Ground-based artillery fired in counter-fire or in fire support to maneuver roles are not classified as a strike as defined by CJTF-OIR.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations which have conducted strikes in Iraq include Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Coalition nations which have conducted strikes in Syria include Australia, Bahrain, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
It isn’t nearly often enough we recognize those in service to our country and our partners around the world. This is proof that you guys are actively engaged and under fire. Stay safe and speedy return to your loved ones.