Quote of the Day

For some time now I have missed Grouchy and his QOTD. After some discussion, I am going to try and step into his (very large) shoes. Any assistance with good ones is gratefully appreciated.

This one has been attributed to a number of people. The earliest version I can find is from Otto Leupold Fürst vonBismarck:

“Der Mann, der kein Sozialist bei 20 ist, ohne Herz , aber, wenn noch ein Sozialist bei 30 er hat kein Gehirn”

(He who is not a socialist at 20 has no heart, but if he remains a socialist after 30 he has no brain)

vonM

About vonMesser

Retired from the US Navy (21 years) and state (20 years). Recently remarried after being widowed for 5 years. 2 daughters, and a step-daughter, all functioning adults). Graduated from college after the Navy with BA in Education, psychology, Economics, History and Political Science. Teach Hunter Safety for Washington (since 1991) and do historical reenactments for Civil War, WW-1and WW-2.

22 Responses to Quote of the Day

1. upaces88 says:

Grouchy is watching over us.
    You ARE excellent. IF you need any help at all (which I doubt you will need).

However, If you do need anything, you have many friends you to contact to step in.

2. Uriel says:

Nicely done and an excellent quote.

3. Hadenoughalready says:

Good Luck, vM! Those are truly big shoes but I know you can do it.

4. Pingback: HN&F | Quote of the Day |

5. captbogus2 says:

First time I heard it I think it was attributed to Winston Churchill.

Good show, vM…

Well done vM. Grouchy would be pleased that YOU stepped in.

I too thought it was Churchill except his was 40. No matter, it’s true.

7. Just Gene says:

“Owning a handgun does not make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper
    luvya

8. Blessed B. says:

vM…… You did that beautifully! Grouchy would be proud! 🙂

Miss that friend everyday….. I still have his email addy in my contact list, I just can’t bring myself to delete it.

9. Blessed B. says:

“I fear the day when the technology overlaps with our humanity. The world will only have a generation of idiots.” ~ Einstein (?)

All great movements, every vigorous impulse that a community may feel, become perverted and distorted as time passes, and the atmosphere of the earth seems fatal to the noble aspirations of its peoples. A wide humanitarian sympathy in a nation easily degenerates into hysteria. A military spirit tends towards brutality. Liberty leads to licence, restraint to tyranny. The pride of race is distended to blustering arrogance. The fear of God produces bigotry and superstition. There appears no exception to the mournful rule, and the best efforts of men, however glorious their early results, have dismal endings, like plants which shoot and bud and put forth beautiful flowers, and then grow rank and coarse and are withered by the winter. It is only when we reflect that the decay gives birth to fresh life, and that new enthusiasms spring up to take the places of those that die, as the acorn is nourished by the dead leaves of the oak, the hope strengthens that the rise and fall of men and their movements are only the changing foliage of the ever-growing tree of life, while underneath a greater evolution goes on continually.
    -Winston Churchill, “The River War”

10. Just Gene says:

Arrogance is always a cover-up for ignorance.
    Just Gene
    luvya

11. Just Gene says:

A woman works from sun to sun, but a man’s work is never done.
    Joe Brady – RIP
    luvya

12. I.R. Wayright says:

“The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those that watch them and do nothing.” ~ Albert Einstein. ~
    Saw it on Lou Dobbs last week.
    And it may apply to us soon if we allow this next election to be fraudulent.

13. Pingback: The Weekly Headlines – My Daily Musing | franciscansonthemountains

14. Pardon the shameless blog pimping, but I’ve been collecting great quotes for years; feel free to browse and borrow at will.

15. I tried to leave a comment but it got rejected. Email me if you get a chance.

• Blessed B. says:

BOB….

Both of your comments are up now…..must be those darn gremlins at work once again! They are causing problems for me posting comments today also!

• Hadenoughalready says:

You’re not alone, BB. Mine’s been acting stupid when I try to send emails and BNI is DOWN and has been since yesterday. Her crew is working on it now.
        We’re on the verge of being totally shut down by the libnazis.

• Blessed B. says:

Yep…even when trying to send emails also for me! I keep getting a pop up also that asks if I want to stay on this page or leave it! WTF? I’m reading an email….why would I want to leave the page I just opened?

I can’t say that I feel for BNI….I unsubscribed a couple of weeks ago due to the hate-fest and stupidity she has going on there! Bet the haters are just salivating right now to get back on and do their thing….

I don’t know if the weather has anything to do with it…we didn’t have internet connection this morning though. Maybe…. I’m being monitored once again by the powers that be in the USA….probably afraid I’m going to start an insurrection or something if the clot wins!

16. Just Gene says:

Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous. – Caesar
    Yond Donald has a lean and hungry look. He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous. Hillary
    luvya

17. Just Gene says:

“I think, therefore I am” – René Descartes
    Do you know what happened to him? He was at the pub when the barkeep called out, “Last round – Rene, one more for the road?” Rene answered, “I think not” !
    luvya