After the Republicans took the majority in the Senate, Americans had high hopes for big changes. Those hopes have been consistently dashed since the majority of those senators repeatedly cave to the wants of our president and the democratic senators.
Besides the upcoming presidential election this year, there are 24 Republican senators who are up for re-election. In each state it is important to replace those ‘cavers’ with stand-up conservatives who have America’s best interests at heart. Let’s identify the ‘cavers’ and the ‘keepers.’
Kelly Ayotte (New Hampshire) 66
Roy Blunt (Missouri) 37
John Boozman (Arkansas) 63
Richard Burr (North Carolina) 59
Dan Coats (Indiana) retiring in 2016
Mike Crapo (Idaho) 91
Chuck Grassley (Iowa) 84
John Hoeven (North Dakota) 36
Johnny Isakson (Georgia) 39
Ron Johnson (Wisconsin) 84
Mark Kirk (Illinois) 55
James Lankford (Oklahoma) 41
Mike Lee (Utah) 99
John McCain (Arizona) 40
Jerry Moran (Kansas) 74
Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) 30
Rand Paul (Kentucky) 96
Rob Portman (Ohio) 55
Marco Rubio (Florida) retiring in 2016 89
Tim Scott (South Carolina) 89
Richard Shelby (Alabama) 63
John Thune (South Dakota) 57
Pat Toomey (Pennsylvania) 80
David Vitter (Louisiana) 87
The number after each of their names signifies their ‘liberty score’ as calculated by the website Liberty for All. Their statement: By combining votes on civil liberties, non-intervention, personal freedom, government spending, and monetary policy we are able to provide a more accurate measure of who supports the liberty agenda. We can also prevent legislators from claiming support when convenient but voting the other way when they think no one is watching. We are watching and with your help – we will ensure Congress knows it.
Scores are calculated using Congressional votes as well as sponsorship of pro-liberty bills. Voting with the pro-liberty position earns either 1, 2, or 3 points depending on the weight of the vote. Voting against liberty earns nothing and missing a vote does not affect the score but is still displayed on each legislator’s profile page. Sponsoring a pro-liberty bill earns either 1, 2, or 3 points depending on the weight of the bill and failure to sponsor a bill earns nothing.
Votes are 95% of each legislator’s total score and co-sponsorships are the remaining 5%. A legislator’s vote score and sponsorship score are calculated as the number of points earned divided by the number of points possible for each category. Those two scores are added together for the final score. (Click on the link above to learn more about their scoring process.)
There are only nine senators who scored 80 or better, six who failed at a score below 50 and several others that just squeaked by. Those are the guys – the cavers – that need replacing in order to round out a conservative GOP in the Senate.
Alaska, Georgia and Arizona need to get to work replacing their deadbeat senators with people who are more concerned about their state and country than they are a career in politics. If Arizonans are paying attention this year, they finally have a very good chance of replacing McCain, with Kelli Ward, a doctor, military wife and former State Senator, who’s campaigning for his seat.
In Alaska, there is a group campaigning against Lisa Murkowski, but it appears to be a half-hearted effort to draft Joe Miller. A search revealed no serious contenders for Isakson’s Georgia seat, who announced he will seek re-election even though he’s been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. Despite his low score, they say he’s well liked and will probably go unchallenged.
After watching the utter failure in the Senate, it’s easy to see that these races are just as important as the presidential one, if not more so.