Donald Trump: Champion of Foreign Workers in America

From: pjmedia.com,  by Rick Moran,  on Feb 25, 2016,  see the article HERE.

MAR-A-LAGO Trump

To the legions of Trumpbots, nothing he says or does will change their mind about him, so running an article that shows once again what a bald-faced hypocrite he is won’t matter a whit.

Still, it’s amusing when Trump is caught with his pants down — especially on the issue of immigration. According to the New York Times, Trump chose to staff his private club in Florida with foreign workers he arranged to come to the U.S. using the “H” visa program despite 300 Americans applying for those jobs.

Donald J. Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Club in Palm Beach describes itself as “one of the most highly regarded private clubs in the world,” and it is not just the very-well-to-do who want to get in.Since 2010, nearly 300 United States residents have applied or been referred for jobs as waiters, waitresses, cooks and housekeepers there. But according to federal records, only 17 have been hired.

In all but a handful of cases, Mar-a-Lago sought to fill the jobs with hundreds of foreign guest workers from Romania and other countries.

In his quest for the Republican presidential nomination, Mr. Trump has stoked his crowds by promising to bring back jobs that have been snatched by illegal immigrants or outsourced by corporations, and voters worried about immigration have been his strongest backers.

But he has also pursued more than 500 visas for foreign workers at Mar-a-Lago since 2010, according to the United States Department of Labor, while hundreds of domestic applicants failed to get the same jobs.

The visas are issued through one of a handful of legal and often-debated programs through which employers can temporarily hire foreign workers when American labor is not available. As part of its applications for the visas submitted to the Labor Department, Mr. Trump’s Mar-a-Lago attested that in the vast majority of cases it was unable to fill the positions with American workers, or, as he told MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” in September, “getting help in Palm Beach during the season is almost impossible.”

Except in this case, 300 Americans were ready and willing to work, but Trump chose to hire cheaper, foreign labor.

Charles Cooke of NRO:

So what’s Trump’s excuse? That’s he’s a businessman and that these are the realities on the ground? That, I’m afraid, won’t wash. When Disney behaved like this, there was a loud and sustained outcry from . . . well, no less than Donald Trump himself.In an interview with Breitbart, Trump argued that Disney should be forced to rehire any Americans it had overlooked or replaced. Trump also said this:

If I am President, I will not issue any H-1B visas to companies that replace American workers and my Department of Justice will pursue action against them.

And he offered this critique of expanding the “H” program:

It would allow any company in America to replace any worker with cheaper foreign labor. It legalizes job theft. It gives companies the legal right to pass over Americans, displace Americans, or directly replace Americans for good-paying middle class jobs.

This attitude is is a popular one among Trump’s supporters. Indeed, Breitbart’s emissary to the Trump campaign, Matthew Boyle, has argued that “what Disney did — with the help of the U.S. government’s lax H1B immigration and visa policies — was awful.” Moreover, he has praised Trump for supposedly standing against it:

This is perhaps one of the most under-discussed issues in the 2016 GOP presidential primary election. Frontrunner Donald Trump’s immigration reform plan details exactly how he would fix this problem if he’s elected president.

He wants to “increase” the “prevailing wage for H-1Bs,” one subsection of his plan lays out.

Trump also wants a “requirement to hire American workers first.”

And yet, by Trump’s own logic, the H-2B program that he so heavily used is even more egregious than the H-1Bs system that Disney took advantage of. Why? Well, because unlike H-1Bs — which can in theory be used to recruit skilled workers — H-2Bs are aimed directly at the bottom of the economic ladder.

Last month, Trump made the observation that he “could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody, and I wouldn’t lose any voters.” He reiterated that sentiment yesterday. So a revelation like this is hardly the silver bullet that would take him down.

~~~~~~~~~~

Get that? Three hundred U.S. citizens applied and only 17 were hired. 300 Americans were ready and willing to work, but Trump chose to hire cheaper, foreign labor. And I especially liked the final sentence of the article: “But it’s interesting that his most rabid supporters are so oblivious to the reality that is Donald Trump that they would probably thank him if he replaced them with a foreign worker.”

Garnet92.

Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Donald Trump: Champion of Foreign Workers in America

1. This appears to be a DUMP TRUMP day.
    Garnet 92: Since you appear to be the ring leader du jour I offer you a challenge.
    Tell me who has awakened the GOP about genuine problems threatening our COUNTRY: Who has caused the GOP to address real issues and not be intimidated by political correctness:
    After watching last nights “debate?” debacle,it is obvious that a hierarchy of the GOP has selected to return to the circus of fools.
    It is an ill gotten scheme that will bring the curtain down on the last chance to rid this country of the likes of obama & clinton , & kerry.
    I do not overlook or take lightly the things that you wish to spotlight.
    I weigh, in comparison, what Trump is & has been doing to change the direction of this COUNTRY

• I.R. Wayright says:

Fine. As long as it is in the RIGHT direction.

• Garnet92 says:

Thanks for your comment, deacon. No, it’s not a “dump Trump” day, it’s just coincidental that I ran across both articles yesterday and thought that our readers would like to know. I read countless articles each day and pick those that I think our readers would enjoy reading – not necessarily ones that we all agree with – sometimes they’re meant to challenge us to think “outside the box.” And our contributors are given the freedom (by Hardnox) to add those posts that encourage respectful discourse. For example, yesterday I posted two articles and both were related to the 2nd Amendment (guns), not politics.

As far as awakening the GOP, I am in complete agreement and, in fact, have given Mr. Trump kudos for raising the issues. He did us all a service when he was able to break through the establishment clouds and awaken the public. He deserves (and has received here on H&F) our thanks for bringing those issues to the forefront of the presidential discourse.

I watched last night’s debate too and apparently came away with a different conclusion. What do you mean by “it is obvious that a hierarchy of the GOP has selected to return to the circus of fools?”

I too want the country to be rid of Obama, Clinton, & Kerry, et al. But at what cost?

I give Trump accolades for what he’s done to highlight the collusion and dirty tricks by the GOP establishment to select our candidate for us, but if last night’s performance by Mr. Trump was an example of how he’ll act as president, I’m not very pleased with that. Personally, I do have concerns about his ego and temperament getting in the way of making sound decisions as president.

This kind of discussion is good and we appreciate your polite and thoughtful comment – your comments are always welcome here and I encourage you to say what’s on your mind and we can engage in a respectful discussion.

• Terry says:

Thanks for weighing in, Deacon John. But I must correct you on one thing.
      Garnet is NOT the “ring leader du jour”.
      Garnet is the ring leader trous les jours, with an obsessive number of postings, sometimes more than 1 a day, trashing Trump.

And don’t let him kid you about it being “a coincidence” that he “happened to run across both articles yesterday”. It’s how he spends his days, searching out dirt on Trump, while totally ignoring the facts of the misdeeds of his ineligible, lying, cheating, and underhanded messiah, Cruz.

If one were to look into all of the posts by Garnet over the last few weeks, they would find a staggering amount of smarmy, belligerent, anti-Trump articles. He has an addiction.to it, while wearing blinders to ANYTHING anti-Cruz.

And every one of the comments made on this stream to this point, are made by other glaze- eyed sheep, most of them from Texas, who can’t see the forest for the trees.
      It’s all pretty pathetic.

And I agree with you on the recent “debate”. I think Trump handled the childish attacks on him beautifully. It showed who the real juveniles were.

• Garnet92 says:

Terry, I’m going to pay you what you’ll perceive as a compliment: your actions are just like Donald Trump’s.

There, didn’t you like that?

Of course, when you consider that I think that Trump is a boorish, petulant, immature, ignorant blowhard, maybe you’ll get the message.

You overreact and lie; you project your own inadequacies onto me and apparently get some sort of pleasure out of it. You seem to have missed (or prefer to ignore) that Trump is the most talked about individual on the Internet, and most of the articles (written by others, not me) are not complementary about him. I can understand why you’d think that Cruz isn’t adequately covered by my posts and Trump is overdone, but look through the Internet and see what the ratio of Cruz articles are to Trump ones, it might surprise you – but then you’ll just blame that on Garnet92 – that I’ve somehow influenced all of those other sites to bash Trump.

Actually, as of this moment, I’ve got three articles on Trump that I’m considering for publishing and I wasn’t even trying. They jump out at me as containing information that our readers might want to know, like:

“Trump Wants to ‘Open Up’ Libel Laws to Easily Sue Media.”
        “Trump’s Curious Loss of Memory about His Support for War in Libya.”
        “21 Questions for Donald Trump.”

Or, would you prefer that we HIDE those exposés from our readers?

The boss (Hardnox) has asked that we (you and I) tone down the rhetoric and I’ll comply. What you do is your choice.

I won’t respond to any more of your comments – unless you attack me personally.

At this point, we will have to “agree to disagree.”

Trump addresses the H-1Bs and avoids the H-2Bs, because he used that path to secure employees to whom he could pay the lowest possible wages. Voters are expected to overlook that and believe instead what he’s saying today. He’s evolving. Yeah, well, so did Hillary.

It is a huge mistake to consider a presidential candidate without examining his past actions, and when those actions don’t align with current statements, that candidate is unacceptable. That goes for Rubio as well as Trump. People say all candidates have warts. That’s true, but with some there are more warts than there is person.

Deacon, I beg to differ with your comment on what ‘Trump has been doing to change the direction…’ Sorry sir, but he’s done nothing but talk, and the other candidates were already doing that. They just weren’t talking in a braggadocios manner and playing off people’s anger. They were appealing to their common sense.

His performance at the debate last night was atrocious and packed full of lies. At probably the most critical point in this country’s history, Trump has taken the election process for the highest job in the US and turned it into a mud-wrestling match.

• Garnet92 says:

Oh, I’m sure that those H-2B’s just slipped his mind Kathy.

I just read another article that estimated that so far our Republican candidates had shied away from using information gained through opposition research to attack Trump. I can’t imagine why? The article said that so far only 20% has shown up and that the democrats have already identified another 80% that’s just waiting for him to win the nomination. I wonder what our guys have missed?

And I agree with your characterization of the debate. Trump spent his entire time reiterating how great he is, how great his companies are, how he’ll do everything better than anyone else – all bluster with nary a detail and never really answered a question, just empty rhetoric. That’s all he’s ever offered.

Mud-wrestling is right.

It would be very interesting to know if the foreign workers brought over by Trump receive any type of assistance from the U.S. government. If not it’s hard to understand how they are able to survive with low-paying jobs in an expensive area like Palm Beach when American workers are apparently unable to do so.

Deacon John,

Like the others so far I have to challenge the claim that Trump will change the direction of this country. If you listen carefully to what Trump says and doesn’t say it’s clear that he’s a big-government guy. Just the fact that he wants government-run healthcare demonstrates that he doesn’t share the Founder’s vision for this country or the respect for the concept of individual liberty. He never talks about the Constitution. It’s great that he wants to secure the border and build a wall and kick out the squatters but he says, “They’re going to come back but they’re going to do it legally.” He doesn’t talk about tackling the freebies that draw illegals to this nation in the first place, and personally I’d rather secure the border and have some kind of guest worker program than bring back and give legal citizenship (i.e. voting rights) to Hispanics who overwhelmingly support democrats. I’m especially worried about what kind of Supreme Court justice a man without reverence for the Constitution would nominate, and the next POTUS is likely to pick more than one.

Trump deserves credit for saying things that needed to be said without couching them in political correctness. For that he’s been given his due here over and over. But just because a child alerts the adults that the house is on fire doesn’t mean you should put the child in charge.

• Garnet92 says:

Excellent point CW. Though I read several articles on this subject, none offered any info regarding government assistance, but as you say, the palm Beach area is one of the most expensive areas of the country – how do they survive?

Like you, I am very uncomfortable with a candidate who depends on “believe me” or “trust me” to answer HOW he intends to do all of the wonderful things he’s promised – bluster and rhetoric is all he’s ever offered and that’s not enough. And, the naming of 3-4 Supreme Court justices is the cherry on top. I have no confidence that Trump would name conservative justices – that is taking a chance with the future of our United States that I’m not willing to take.

Good analogy too!

Since you guys mentioned the SCOTUS picks, I’m going to put this here rather than make a new post with it. Here’s a snippet from last night’s debate that gives us an idea of what Trump knows (and doesn’t know) about the judges.

To be fair, he did say later that he would seek the advice from others he respects on their recommendations, and that’s a good thing. “I’m very much into the world of legal and legality. But, that is not my world, so I would go to people that I have great respect for and say, “Who do you recommend?”

But if we’re going by someone else’s choices, why don’t we just elect them instead?

• Garnet92 says:

Of course he would say that. He’s hired people to run his businesses and I’m sure that he listens to their recommendations, but in the end, HE’s going to make the decision and it’s HIS wisdom that I question. Can you imagine any of those advisers arguing with him and telling him that he was wrong? They”d get an immediate “you’re fired” back.

5. I.R. Wayright says:

Since this article mentions “foreign workers” may I offer a solution to our illegal immigration problems?
    Those who are already in jail leave the country when they are released, with the proviso never to return. Those who are decent people who are currently supporting themselves can stay, with some restrictions. They will pay in to social security but will never be allowed to collect retirement benefits when they retire. That will be their ongoing penalty for breaking our laws. Those that employed them, in spite of their status, will continue pay ss taxes for them, just like any legal employee. Those who are not employed and living off society will be cut off from any government assistance other than given a ride to the border.
    If an illegal has “anchor children” the same deal applies to them as soon as they come of age, except any ss monies they contribute will be reduced by 50% until our borders are secured and illegal immigration stops. Excess funds go to Border Control.