Blame Liberals for the Rise of Trump

From: townhall.com,  by S.E. Cupp,  on Aug 27, 2015,  see the article HERE.

Donald Trump 07

If we could read lips, can’t you just imagine that Trump is responding to Jeb Bush by saying [bleep] YOU!

There are a few existential questions which man has struggled but failed to answer conclusively, despite Sisyphean efforts, such as: Why are we here? What happens when we die? And why do kids go ape for “Frozen”?

To these we may add another, which will go down as one of the great enigmas of modern American history: Why Trump?

His rise — and, more inexplicably, his durability — has baffled even the most open-minded of us. But when man can’t explain something, he settles for the next best thing: deciding who’s to blame for it.

To me, it’s obvious. Trump is the result of liberal political correctness run amok.

Sound crazy? Stick around a minute.

Conventional wisdom — and by that I of course mean Twitter — will tell you that Trump is the logical conclusion of 21st century conservatism.

This line of thinking actually has two strains, both of which absolve the left of any responsibility for the advent of Trump.

The first strain posits that Republicans are awful people, and Trump merely embodies this quality in its purest form. This idea is articulated largely by the far left, in representative tweets like:

@enigmaxtreme: “Fox News, you created this monster called Trump, you have only yourself to blame for the GOP crumbling…”

According to the other strain, the Republican establishment has so disappointed the conservative base that it created an opening for Trump to fill. This comes primarily from the far right, exhibited in tweets like:

@KurtSchlichter: “This condescending, hyperbolic establishment bullish (sic) is why Trump exists. Thanks, GOP squishes.”

As Adam Brandon at the Washington Examiner put it, after betrayals by Republican leadership, “Enter Trump, a straight talking, political outsider billionaire who’s not afraid of being politically incorrect.”

There’s probably more truth to the latter line of thought than the former. The conservative base, infamous for its dogmatic purity tests, probably isn’t behind the success of a guy who used to be a Democrat, once favored assault weapons bans and single-payer health care, and recently questioned the heroism of war prisoners.

I have a different explanation for ascendant Trumpism. It isn’t the result of conservatism but of liberalism. Thanks to unrelenting demands by the left for increasingly preposterous levels of political correctness over the past decade, people are simply fed up. Trump survives — nay, thrives! — because he is seen as the antidote, bravely and unimpeachably standing athwart political correctness.

The new era of liberal political correctness — in which colleges designate “free speech zones,” words like “American” and “mother” are considered discriminatory, and children are suspended from school for firing make-believe weapons — has reached critical mass. If not for the loony sensitivities foisted upon us by the left, someone like Trump would be immediately dismissed as unprofessional and unserious, an incoherent blurter. Instead, he’s the equally extreme response to extreme correctness — if everything is offensive in Liberalville, then nothing will be offensive in Trumpland.

It’s all absurd, of course. Trump says things that are unequivocally offensive, and regularly. But conservatives (and even comedians) have reached their limit on political correctness. And so Trump supporters will justify nearly everything he says, no matter how bizarre or unbecoming.

Remember, too, liberals taught us a valuable lesson about political correctness that many conservatives haven’t forgotten: It’s only offensive if you don’t like the person saying it. When conservatives tried to accept the liberal rules of political correctness, pointing out Vice President Joe Biden’s too-numerous-to-count slurs and gaffes, there was a collective shrug from the left.

So, if the rules are demonstrably stupid, and they only exist for the right, why play by them?

This is how Trump supporters came to be. They have taken the governor off the racecar.

It’s a shame because, as lamentable as political correctness is, voters can do better than Trump. Political ignorance isn’t the same as being politically incorrect. Calling journalists names isn’t the same as being politically incorrect. These aren’t acts of courage; they’re acts of kindergarteners.

But in a world in which nearly everything could be considered a microaggression, a macroaggressor like Trump is inevitable.

So, thanks, political correctness.

~~~~~~~~~~

The viral support for Trump reminds me of a battered woman who has finally had enough of being dismissed, demeaned, and assaulted and explodes with righteous anger and takes down her attacker violently and forcefully – he mistreated her long enough and finally … she fought back.

We conservatives have been dismissed, demeaned, and assaulted by the RNC/GOPe for long enough. We’re fed up and we’re not going to take it anymore. And if Donald Trump is to be the vehicle of our retaliation, so be it.

I still don’t think that The Donald is emotionally suited to be POTUS and I’d rather that it was Ted Cruz, but better Donald Trump than Jeb Bush or Lindsey Graham, or others, all of whom are paid subcontractors of the RNC/GOPe, ready and willing to do their bidding.

Garnet92.

Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Blame Liberals for the Rise of Trump

1. Buck says:

I agree with your assessment, Garnet. But if I might differ in thinking about Trump’s meteoric rise and the root causes. I don’t think the loony, liberal left had as much to do with it as did the GOPel, the Sell-Out Rino’s and the general GOP policy of promising the people whatever they want to hear to get elected then, once in DC, ignoring your promises and falling in with the establishment GOP and the Democrats. Not only the nutless leaders, Boehner and McConnel but the rank and file who were too afraid of losing their cushy chairmanship or coveted assignment if they voted to remove either one of them from leadership.
    This, I believe, has fired up the people to the point of a, “Screw the entire GOP,” attitude and are going with Trump.
    Nor do I believe you would find Trump lacking in political skills. After all you can’t amass a multi billion dollar fortune without some political skills.

• Garnet92 says:

Actually, the idea that liberals “caused” Donald Trump is the author’s, not mine. I agree with you that we the people are fired up and fed up and that’s what has catapulted Trump to leading the pack.

2. BrianR says:

I think my views are pretty well known, so I want to take a look at this from a different perspective.

Hmmmm………… It just occurred to me that my comment was going to be a bit long, and in fact would make a topic for an essay of my own. I think I’ll do that, since I don’t have much on tap today. I’ll let you know when it’s up.

Good topic!

Great analogy Garnet, about the battered woman. Now that she’s fighting back it has everyone else gasping in shock.

The liberals have been true to form, unlike the GOP who used to be the ‘stand up guy’ but have turned into play-doh.

I agree with Buck on this one, he just described exactly how I feel. Screw the entire GOP, especially since they skulked in after the 2014 elections instead of marching in and taking charge. Screw the whole lot of them.

Trump’s not the ideal candidate, none of them are, but at least he’s not mamby-pamby and you know where he stands. He make no bones about that.

• Garnet92 says:

Right Kathy, I think that the 2014 elections were the straw that broke the camel’s back. After the people’s votes gave the Senate to Republicans and we already had the House, and they did NOTHING that they promised – just went on with “business as usual,” that just showed us that BIG changes need to be made. Trump is a BIG change.

4. Uriel says:

Often cancer is treated with harsh chemicals and disastrous methods. The cancer in this case could be terminal due to many factors like determined assault on constitution and apathetically conditioned citizens. I view Trump as chemotherapy for our country. On his own in a normal election year under say Reagan, he would have been ostracized for his words and bad behavior. However, teamed with a country of citizens angry and not being listened to, he is creating and saying what others who have nearly lost hope are not able or willing to say. This does not make him right for the position but at least opens and emboldens others to get off their padded duffs and work harder. Our long time government members have been selling us a cancer-ridden bill of communistic goods for years. Trump is drawing them out and putting the light of truth on their cells. It is however up to each citizen to decide if the cancer will take over or be gotten rid of by exercising their vote. Many miracles in cancer treatment have occurred not from treatment but from attitude of patients.

• Garnet92 says:

Great analogy Uriel. Trump is indeed like a blast of chemotherapy – a slap upside the head – a wake-up call. Like chemotherapy, he may not be the only answer, but his attention-getting activity has exposed the GOPe for the cancerous growth they are on the body of this country and we need treatment.

I disagree with your post heading. It is the fault of the traitorous GOP. Those douches have screwed us repeatedly for decades and we are done with it.

I do agree with the battered wife syndrome analogy though. This country just needed a mouthpiece to get it going.

• Garnet92 says:

Well Nox, you’re disagreeing with the author of the article, not me. I agree with your assessment – Trump is riding high based on the anger of the conservative masses. We’ve been lied to consistently by the RND/GOPe for years and we’ve finally had enough.

6. Bullright says:

I like the points of SE and partly agree….that there is something of a cause and political correctness is a big part of it. (I’m wondering how Bill Maher is feeling about this) But I like your comments, I agree that’s a good way of putting it. That works.

I see it as the screw you all, we aren’t playing by your corrupt self-serving political rules anymore. (damn the torpedoes) But that he started his campaign off with what has become the politically correct poster child, illegal immigration, has a lot to do with the way it panned out.

But isn’t it funny now how you see all these slobbery admissions of how fed up the people are, from people who really resisted the notion before. So people are seeing just how pissed off and disenfranchised they have become. Who can really deny anymore they really are that pissed off?

7. Garnet92 says:

Thanks Bull, I agree that political correctness has pissed off millions of us and the liberals are the primary source of political correctness, but I think that Trump’s meteoric rise (and staying power, so far) is due more to conservatives and even ordinary folks who consider themselves Republican but wonder how we keep getting screwed even though we control both parties of Congress. We were promised better than corruption and inactivity when we voted in 2014, and we’ve only seen “business as usual.” Our federal government needs to be shaken up and like him or hate him, Trump is doing that.

8. I.R. Wayright says:

I don’t know who is going to come out on top at the end but I do LOVE watching the liberals squirm.

9. Bullright says:

Garnet, righto, that’s the spirit: Shake it up … and even break it if necessary.