Trump the Teenage Bully?

From: nationalreview.com,  by John Fund,  on Aug 9, 2015,  see the article HERE.  Emphasis is Garnet92’s

Donald Trump announces his candidacy for  president during a rally at his Trump Tower on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, New York, on Tuesday June 16, 2015. Mr. Trump also announced the release of a financial statement that he says denotes a personal net worth of over 8 billion dollars.

Donald Trump announces his candidacy for president during a rally at his Trump Tower on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, New York, on Tuesday June 16, 2015. Mr. Trump also announced the release of a financial statement that he says denotes a personal net worth of over 8 billion dollars.

He’s no P. T. Barnum, he’s Neidermeyer from Animal House. As much as I’ve slammed The Donald for his inconsistent and incoherent policy views, I’ve always praised Trump’s intelligence: “He is the P. T. Barnum of American politics, a brilliant self-promoter who knows exactly what he’s doing and who changes his opinions constantly to match what he thinks audiences want to hear, much as Barnum used to switch out circus acts between towns on his tour.” A liberal defender of Trump, former CNN host Piers Morgan, agrees: “He’s a smart, cunning, alert showman who knows what it takes to win.”

In the wake of last Thursday’s debate and his infamous “blood feud” with Fox News moderator Megyn Kelly, I have to say I was wrong. His swift, heady rise in the polls has brought out the inner Donald Trump, someone who could have stepped out of Animal House. When Roger Stone, one of the master practitioners of the Dark Side of the Political Force, resigns as Donald Trump’s strategist after 30 years of loyal service, you know something is up. Stone, who still calls Trump a friend, is circumspect about his reasons for leaving. Publicly, he tweeted: “@realDonaldTrump didn’t fire me — I fired Trump. Diasgree [sic] with diversion to food fight with @megynkelly away core issue messages.” But Stone told friends on Saturday that Trump is “losing his grip on reality” and that “he has these yes-men around him,” according to Politico. “And now he’s living in a parallel world.”

Others close to The Donald agree. Kate Bohner, who, with Trump, co-authored Trump: The Art of the Comeback, told CNN “This is a Trump I haven’t seen before.” She went on to say: “I don’t want to hear about blood coming out of people’s eyes and certainly not what it morphed into on [CNN anchor Don] Lemon’s show.” In explaining how different Trump is now from the person with whom she worked, Bohner said: “Sometimes he seizes on one detail and won’t let it go. If I were his campaign adviser, I would have said, okay, you said it on the debate, stop, no more talking about this. Let’s just leave it in the green room and certainly no tweeting it at 3:49 a.m.”

But Trump is like a rampaging high-school student with no adult chaperone around who can take away his Twitter keys. His campaign staff has complained that he refuses to read briefing books and said that he took pride in not preparing for last Thursday’s debate. A Trump business associate told me that his long-time secretary once confessed that she couldn’t possibly bring him a piece of bad news. “I’ve kept my job this long by knowing I must never bring him bad news,” she reportedly said. That’s a clue to extreme narcissism. So let’s recap. Someone who is so thin-skinned that he can’t move on from a slight. Someone who refuses to accept reality and then act accordingly. Someone who has a form of attention-deficit disorder, in which he constantly craves attention. Someone who is constantly boasting about past glories, like an ROTC officer describing his last weekend-warrior experience. Someone who can’t control his language and constantly belittles and bullies everyone he doesn’t like by flinging insults such as “loser,” “stupid,”  “worthless,” “fat,” and “slob.”

P. T. Barnum never made it big acting like that. He knew when to turn down the temperature — and he left business to become a successful legislator and mayor. Still, as a clever crony capitalist who claims to buy politicians, Trump knows when to focus and not be immature. The closest model for him I can think of is Douglas C. Neidermeyer, the bullying ROTC student leader in the 1978 classic college film Animal House.  We might learn a lesson from how the Delta Tau Chi fraternity dealt with Neidermeyer in Animal House. They never granted him the aura of authority he claimed, they constantly ridiculed his pomposity, and they provided him with opportunities to self-destruct. No matter how isolated in his own reality Donald Trump is, the outside world will eventually bring him down to earth.

~~~~~~~~~~

I’m not going to launch into a lengthy tirade about Trump, Mr. Fund’s assessment parallels my own. There’s no doubt that the man is smart, there’s no doubt that he is chock full of confidence, but my problem is that his (apparent) temperament could be troublesome when dealing with any person or group that doesn’t agree with him. I’m afraid that troublesome could morph into disaster when he’s confronted with a head of state who doesn’t agree with him. Is he likely to call Putin or Xi Jinping or Khamenei “stupid” or “worthless” or a “fat slob” in a Tweet or in a diplomatic email? I doubt that other world leaders would take kindly to being called names or described in unflattering terms. That kind of thing could lead to serious consequences for the country. So far, he hasn’t given me any reason to believe that he can temper his temper.

I’m also concerned about any leader who doesn’t want to hear bad news (like B. Hussein Obama). No mortal human is perfect (not even Obama, not even Trump) and when bad things happen, they need to be addressed and fixed, and sometimes it requires a decision by the top dog to implement corrections. When subordinates are afraid to bring troublesome information to a leader, there’s something wrong with the organization – and it’s at the top.

His bombastic ego-driven tirades may rouse the masses who are tired of milquetoast politicians who are too politically correct to state anything that might be considered against-the-grain. I like that about him – up to a point. But Donald goes too far. I don’t trust him to be more diplomatic when circumstances call for it.

Garnet92.

Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Trump the Teenage Bully?

Trump and O have more similarities than either would admit. O said all the right things and woke up the masses much like Trump has been doing. He turned out to be a horrible president who gets caught up in the petty disagreements and has no real plan of action, but is very good at campaigning and fund raising.

I like that Trump woke up those in a coma and got the other candidates to stirring, but he’s not really presidential material. We certainly don’t need another narcissist.

• Garnet92 says:

So true Kathy. There are a lot of similarities between those two and one of them is that they appeal to those who don’t look below the surface – the ones who only see/hear the superficial rhetoric spouted by the egotistic narcissist and see that as truth.

I don’t believe that Trump wants to diminish the U.S. as Obama does and Trump doesn’t have a racial chip on his shoulder either, but like Obama, if Trump is elected, everything will always be about Trump, not about the country.

I think the main difference is that Obama never achieved anything without race playing a part and Donald achieved his successes due to his bullying and bluster.

2. vonmesser says:

I like what Trump is saying (most of it) but he is an unmitigated, pompous @$$, for whom I have no respect.

3. Buck says:

I like Trump I haven’t really pictured him as a POTUS but I have applauded his ability to show the GOP candidates the path to the Oval Office. But trying to get a politician to realize someone else has a better idea is close akin to herding a bunch of alleycats.

• Garnet92 says:

He has shown them the path Buck, but I think that they discount his message along with his personna – it’s the old “not invented here” syndrome. The establishment is so bent outta shape that he’s getting all of the attention that they aren’t considering WHY he’s getting the attention.

4. BrianR says:

I agree with most of what’s been written here. The idea of Trump actually being President is just plain scary. Who wants a raving lunatic running around and breaking all the china?

He’s real big on sloganeering, but hasn’t produced one syllable about how he’d actually IMPLEMENT his “policies”.

I also have little doubt that once he’s out of the running in the GOP his massive ego will lead him to declare himself an independent candidate. And once he does THAT, he wouldn’t have to get many votes at all to assure a Dem/socialist victory, pretty much regardless of whoever their candidate is. I doubt he’d even actually campaign all that much; just enough to keep his mug on TV. Because that’s all he really wants: endless publicity.

For Trump, it’s all about Trump, country be damned.

• Garnet92 says:

He scares me too, Brian. With his massive ego, we’d soon see TRUMP emblazoned all over Air Force One, superimposed over the stars and stripes on the flag and see “In Trump We Trust” on our money.

Seriously, I hope that the country begins to see him as an especially noisy alarm clock that is waking us from a complacent slumber and shut him off before he does any real harm. I think that our hope must be that he begins to drop in the polls so that he comes to believe that he might not win and rather than suffer an ignominious defeat will voluntarily retire from the race to spend his time on his empire.

I recognize that his ego would have a hard time accepting that he might not win, but I think that that same ego wouldn’t want to be seen as a guy who LOST either. As long as he’s doing well in the polls, we’re stuck with him, but if his numbers drop gradually over a few months, he’ll have to take stock. His “out” will always be that he just wanted to shake things up and was never seriously considering actually BEING president.

Good post Garnet. Trump is showing his true self in his childish behavior.

One thing about Trump as Newt Gingrich noted is that Trump is a phenomenon in the political arena unseen before insomuch that he remains on “constant offense”.

This constant offense is resonating with Americans that are angry at government and at politicians in general. Americans like a fighter. His approval ratings continue to rise. The professional political class is tone-deaf and can’t figure out why. It’s pretty simple really. Washington is broken and Americans have had enough. Trump has tapped into that anger as has Cruz.

Hopefully Trump will set the stage for an adult like Cruz to step in.

• Garnet92 says:

Thanks ‘Nox, and I agree that the political class is rebelling at both at the man himself and his message – they’re so pissed at Trump, they refuse to see WHY he is doing so well in the polls.

I also agree with your last statement, I wish Cruz would get a little more vocal now that Trump has shown him the way.

Sistas are pissed at Megyn Kelly and love Donald.

• Garnet92 says:

Yeah, I saw these two brain surgeons, they represent the DLAO (dumbass, loud and obnoxious) wing of the party. Unfortunately, their votes count just like yours and mine.

7. tannngl says:

Your summary of Trump is correct, Garnet.

But he sure has woke up the sleeping conservs.
    Hopefully he will bow out soon but I have a feeling that’s going to be to hard for him to do…

8. Uriel says:

I have always believed people that have accumulated vast wealth hAve done it at the expense of the masses. Trump has proven the theory not once but several times like certain freeloaders he Uses the system to his advantage (out of his mouth). He is brash and bold in stating what general public wants to hear BUT again uses like O the people’s emotions for his profit. That he still today will not address the Clintons as the corporate fraud and criminals they are should speak volumes. He is in all his past dealings a Liberal and I doubt it will change. He just does it brazenly by challenging all comers while hiding intent.