A President who shed tears over our troops (hint: NOT Barack Obama)

From: conservativetribune.com,  by: editorial,  on: May 23, 2015,  see the article HERE.

I know that this is an old piece, but on this Memorial Day 2015, I thought that is was appropriate to remind our readers that there was a time when we had a president who genuinely cared for and respected our military. Say what you will about George W. Bush, the troops always knew that he loved them and suffered personally when they were killed or injured. This is a story of one of those occasions when how much he cared was graphically displayed. It was only one of many times that President Bush demonstrated his feelings for the men and women of our military and I’ll never forget that he wasn’t afraid of showing his emotions when faced with a flag-draped coffin or an injured soldier. I will always respect the man for that. Garnet92.

President G W Bush visiting Marine in hospital

President Bush visits Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington. Pictured is Sgt. David Gardner.

The liberal media has often covered up the respect and love former President George W. Bush showed for the troops under his command. Thankfully, we have former Bush administration members to set the record straight.

For Memorial Day, former press secretary Dana Perino shared a piece from her new book about her experiences with the former president and how he shed tears when visiting a VA hospital.

“News of America’s military men and women (who) were wounded and killed in Iraq and Afghanistan almost overwhelmed me on some days,” Perino wrote in the section, which was posted on Fox News’ website.

“I may have sounded strong when I was talking to the press, but sometimes I had to push my feelings way down in order to get any words out of my mouth to make statements and answer questions.”

She then talked about how the former president dealt with the troops.

“The hardest days were when President Bush went to visit the wounded or families of the fallen,” she wrote. “If it was tough for me, you can only imagine what it was like for the families and for a president who knew that his decisions led his troops into battles where they fought valiantly but were severely injured or lost their lives.”

She talked of the time that President Bush presented a Purple Heart to a comatose Marine, according to Fox News.

“After he visited with them for a bit, the president turned to the military aide and said, ‘Okay, let’s do the presentation.’ The wounded warrior was being awarded the Purple Heart, given to troops who suffer wounds in combat.

“Everyone stood silently while the military aide in a low and steady voice presented the award. At the end of it, the Marine’s young child tugged on the president’s jacket and asked, ‘What’s a Purple Heart?’

“The president got down on one knee and pulled the little boy closer to him. He said, ‘It’s an award for your dad, because he is very brave and courageous, and because he loves his country so much. And I hope you know how much he loves you and your mom, too.’”

Then, something amazing happened.

“As they hugged, there was a commotion from the medical staff as they moved toward the bed,” Perino wrote. “The Marine had just opened his eyes. I could see him from where I stood. The CNO held the medical team back and said, ‘Hold on, guys. I think he wants the president.’

“The president jumped up and rushed over to the side of the bed. He cupped the Marine’s face in his hands. They locked eyes, and after a couple of moments the president, without breaking eye contact, said to the military aide, ‘Read it again.’

“So we stood silently as the military aide presented the Marine with the award for a second time. The president had tears dripping from his eyes onto the Marine’s face. As the presentation ended, the president rested his forehead on the wounded warrior’s for a moment.”

Tragically, the Marine did not survive. However, it was moments like these that show just what a president George W. Bush was. He was faithful to his troops and treated them with the honor they deserved — much unlike our current president.

~~~~~~~~~~

For all of his other faults, I will personally always revere President George W. Bush for the way he felt about and treated our members of the military. It’s a damn shame that the current occupier of the White House doesn’t have the same respect for our service members. He’s not fit to shine President Bush’s shoes – and that’s not a racist statement, it refers to a lack of class and character. Obama’s not a real man, he’s an empty suit, devoid of anything but personal glorification.

Garnet92

Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to A President who shed tears over our troops (hint: NOT Barack Obama)

1. Uriel says:

Good reminder and makes the point well thanks Garnet

• Garnet92 says:

I think that maybe deep down inside that Dubya was a real “compassionate conservative” and just let some of his D.C. advisors convince him to spend like a drunken sailor (apologies to drunken sailors since I know that we have a few). He got caught up in the politics of D.C. and it beat him down.

• Uriel says:

Not so convinced of that. His dad Pushed and stated one world in his addresses. I think if anything he is a good guy but caught up in pleasing dad and cohorts while doing what he could to be individual. Which is why I would Not vote for Jeb

• Garnet92 says:

You may be right Uriel. But back in 41’s day, the talk about anything “global” wasn’t interpreted as it is today – it seemed like a good idea (without losing our sovereignty) but today with what’s happened since with the UN, etc. the talk of “one world” doesn’t create the same utopian visions that it did back in the day.

I still don’t think that 43 was sold on the “one world” idea unless it was a world subservient to the U.S. I just can’t see Dubya accepting the U.S. becoming one “nation state” under the rule of a UN-style overseer.

2. Just Gene says:

It’s going out to my mob on FUZZIE wenesday.
    luvya

Excellent post Garnet.

There were a number of things that I did not like about GW but I deeply respected him for the love he has for our troops. I remember reading a number of articles about GW’s late night visits to Bethesda Hospital. No press. No fanfare. No photos.

I understand that he and Laura still welcome home troops at the airport on regular occasions… again, no fanfare.

The squatter in Our House has zero reverence for our troops and uses them only as a backdrop for photo-ops. He disgusts me to my core.

Commander-in-Chief” my ass. he doesn’t even know what the phrase means.

• Garnet92 says:

Amen to the disgust of the Squatter-in-Chief Nox. The only reason that Oflimflam ever does anything with a military person is for a photo-op. they say that he “paid his respects” today – bullshit. He has never had any respect for anyone in the service and won’t start today. I’d call him dogshit, but I don’t want to demean dogshit.

GWB has more love, respect and admiration for our troops than can be found in the whole O admin. Whatever tributes O is doing today is done for looks – there is nothing in his heart for our guys, past or present.

• Garnet92 says:

Amen Kathy. And Dubyas was honest and heartfelt. Of course, he’d been in the Air National Guard and that explains part of his respect. I wonder if there shouldn’t be a requirement that a candidate for POTUS must have served in some branch of the service – it’s a shame that it isn’t in the Constitution that way. That would pretty much eliminate any democrat.

I echo your sentiments, Garnet. There are certainly fair criticisms to make of George W.; but he had a conscience with respect to the sacrifices our young people in the military were making to fulfill their duties on his watch. The same cannot be said of Barack Obama.

6. Garnet92 says:

Another AMEN, CW. He felt real empathy for our military members (and their families) whereas Odingbat feels nothing inside except love for himself.

7. upaces88 says:

This is the 2nd time I have tried to post this:

Different Presidents, A Different Corps

• Garnet92 says:

Thanks muchly for posting that video upaces! It was entirely appropriate and no surprise as to the reactions of the troops. Obummer should be glad that the assembled troops didn’t turn their backs and walk out en masse.

• CW says:

Great video, Upaces. The troops know whose got their back and who doesn’t.