Bicycle Power Can Help You Maintain Self-Sufficiency

From Natural News

power

Bicycle Power!

One of the persistent myths about prepping is that it requires spending lots of cash on fancy survival gear. However, much of what may prove to be extremely useful in a big disaster/SHTF scenario might already be lying around the house. Those old bicycles collecting dust in your garage are the perfect example. Not only might a bicycle represent the ultimate stealth bug-out vehicle, pedal power can also be utilized in a number of other useful ways if and when the power grid goes down.

First, let’s consider the use of bicycles in a survival situation in terms of what they were originally designed for: transportation. When you consider that gasoline can only be stored for a few years at the most and that there likely won’t be any gas stations open after a societal collapse, the lowly bicycle becomes more and more attractive as a survival transportation solution.

Add to this the fact that bicycles are virtually indestructible if maintained properly and boast a potential lifespan of several decades, and you’ll begin to see the practical potential of bicycles in a long-term survival scenario. Bicycles are easily repaired and maintained, requiring only a few tools and a bit of technical knowledge along with some spare tires, chains, chain grease and oil to keep them functioning properly.

The stealth aspect is a huge advantage as well. Bicycles produce virtually no noise, which could be a lifesaving advantage if you need to travel undetected. Silence is also crucial if you’re out hunting game, and that brings us to another great advantage of bicycles: they can go many places other vehicles cannot. A solid mountain bike is capable of traversing some of the roughest terrain imaginable at quite respectable speeds.

If you’ve got deep pockets, there are several manufacturers making bikes designed specifically with survival scenarios in mind with lots of cool attachments and features such as camouflage paint, but a decent mountain bike can be customized at home for a lot less money. It is easy enough to add a rack that can carry a fair amount of extra gear or supplies, and if you want camouflage, just grab a couple of cans of the preferred colors of spray paint.

The potential of pedal power in a survival situation goes far beyond mere transportation. Bicycles can be converted to drive all sorts of machinery in situations when there is no electricity available from the grid. In fact, bicycles can be used to generate your own electricity. With the new, longer-term storage capacity battery technology now emerging, it is conceivable that pedal power could could supply all of the electricity you will ever really need when the SHTF.

Many of the devices that require an electric motor can be driven by human pedal power. A water pump, for example, can be relatively easily modified to be powered by a belt connected to a bicycle frame and pedals. The possibilities are quite broad; sewing machines, weaving looms, grain threshers, and wood and metal lathes can all be powered by pedals.

There are plenty of DIY plans available online for these types of uses of pedal power. I have included several links below, and once you understand how to convert a bicycle to drive one machine, you’ll have the basic knowledge to come up with your own ideas for harnessing this marvelous, non-polluting, highly efficient form of power generation.

Perhaps you’d like a pedal-powered ice cream maker, for example? Since you’ll be burning all those calories while making your own delicious post-apocalyptic homemade ice cream, you’ll be able to thoroughly enjoy eating it, free of guilt!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Time to get those old bikes down from the garage rafters and oiled up! No time like the present to get started…. remember if you haven’t been bicycling for a long time…. your muscles are going to protest big time when you start. Start slow but start now cuz you most certainly don’t want to be all stiff and sore if in an emergency situation!

Happy pedalling !

~Blessed B~

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Bicycle Power Can Help You Maintain Self-Sufficiency

Yeah, but when you’re pedaling your ass off, you are emitting the evil, dastardly CO2. Can’t be polluting and contributing to climate change, now can we ? OK OK, sarcasm off !!!

• Blessed B. says:

If we could only get rid of the Politicians who spew more hot air and CO2 than any of us could by riding a bicycle…we wouldn’t have to worry! LOL!

Good info, At the rate the EPA Gestapo is operating we’ll all be on bicycles soon. Better stock up. 🙂

Me? I’m sticking to horses. They will also be the rage pretty soon.

• Blessed B. says:

Horse power is good! The Amish still use them …so they aren’t as crazy as some folks think they are! LOL! If the SHTF…they’ll be more than prepared for it in more ways than one!

3. Garnet92 says:

Great stuff BB! You’re right, bicycles are almost indestructible. The first business I started (many moons ago) was flipping bicycles. Acquiring beat up bicycles, sometimes for free, fixing them up and reselling them for profit. College kids were my prime customers since my “rebuilt” bikes were much cheaper than a new one and were perfectly serviceable (I even repainted them). And, aside from the SHTF functionality, they’re fun and great exercise. KUDOS to the lowly bicycle – everyone should have (at least) one!

• Blessed B. says:

Thanks Garnet! I thought it was a useful bit of info. Something that folks might not think about using a bike for other than riding.

Cool that you had a bike business. They aren’t that difficult to fix up really….just need time to do so.

I have a mountain bike that has been hanging from the rafters in the garage for the past twenty years….. I should probably take it down and clean it up and start riding on short excursions around the area. I’m sure my old body isn’t going to take kindly to it though! I re-dug our flower gardens yesterday and re-planted and am paying the price today for being so out of shape!

4. Uriel says:

Ummm. I need a horse too. My legs not functioning enough to peddle lol.

• Blessed B. says:

In a SHTF scenario…you could always get the neighbourhood kids to peddle for you, if you had the bike hooked-up to do some task like washing clothes or something….pay them in food or whatever. The parents would probably be good with that.

Long hauls though…a horse would definitely be better.

If my survival or escape plans depends on me pedaling a bicycle, I’m a goner for sure. 🙂

• Blessed B. says:

LOL! I’d rather peddle than have to walk. Either way though… I’m not prepared for either way…. my mind is willing but my body sure ain’t!

6. Grouchy says:

Good article, Blessed Be.
    And I would recommend a “fat tire” bike, not a racing bike. The days of the narrow racing tire are sorely numbered, m’thinks.

• Blessed B. says:

Yep….. the slim tire is not much good for peddling over rough terrain. Need one that can withstand the abuse.

The racing bikes though one could use to hook-up to other things to power them…so they would still have a use. Wouldn’t need to worry about the size of tire for that.

7. vonMesser says:

Local doctor here hooked a bicycle up to an electric generator. His kids can watch all the TV they want – all they have to do is pedal for power. Last I heard he was working on storage batteries for their game machines and computers rather than the timers he had on them (about 5 years ago)

• Blessed B. says:

Now that is thinking! Kids get their exercise anyways while watching TV! Smart! Bet his kids don’t watch much, LOL!

My kids would rather be outside or reading instead of watching TV…. so it would be of no use for us….

Let’s not tell my spouse any bright ideas though for the computer!! 😉