Louie Gohmert on Jade Helm

From National Journal:

Jade Helm map

U.S. Special Operations Command is preparing to launch a three-month, multi-state exercise across private and public land to prepare Army special forces for threats anywhere in the world. Or at least that’s what the Pentagon would want you to believe. Officials and citizens in Texas, one of the states involved, see something potentially more nefarious in the exercise, dubbed Jade Helm 15. And now Rep. Louie Gohmert is joining them.

“Over the past few weeks, my office has been inundated with calls referring to the Jade Helm 15 military exercise scheduled to take place between July 15 and September 15, 2015,” Gohmert said in a Tuesday statement. “This military practice has some concerned that the U.S. Army is preparing for modern-day martial law. Certainly, I can understand these concerns.”

“When leaders within the current administration believe that major threats to the country include those who support the Constitution, are military veterans, or even ‘cling to guns or religion,’ patriotic Americans have reason to be concerned,” Gohmert wrote.

The congressman took particular issue with the layout and labels of the Pentagon map for the exercise. “Once I observed the map depicting ‘hostile,’ ‘permissive,’ and ‘uncertain’ states and locations, I was rather appalled that the hostile areas amazingly have a Republican majority, ‘cling to their guns and religion,’ and believe in the sanctity of the United States Constitution.” Gohmert called on the Pentagon to change the map, the names on the map, and said “the tone of the exercise needs to be completely revamped so the federal government is not intentionally practicing war against its own states.”

jade helm us mapThe Pentagon has insisted that claims that Jade Helm is anything other than a military exercise—and one that it says would have in-state economic benefits—are completely bunk. “Jade Helm is a long planned and coordinated exercise,” a Pentagon spokesman told CNN. “We are not taking over anything.”

On Monday, Texas Governor Greg Abbott defended  his open letter to the Texas State Guard, saying that his office is “playing a pivotal role of government and that is to provide information to people who have questions.”

Former Texas governor Rick Perry, though, thinks Abbott has gone too far. “It’s OK to question your government. I do it on a regular basis,” Perry said Tuesday. “But the military is something else.”

On the other hand, Chuck Norris had this to say: “Whether deterrence, display of power, or something more covert or devious, let’s not come with any patronizing nonsense of impotence and simplicity when its origin is in Washington.”

~~~~~~~~~

o nazi arm bandNormally, I might agree with Rick Perry, but considering this is O’s military, I still have my doubts about completely trusting them. Most of them have families of their own and love this country, so I don’t see them firing on Americans. The thing I have a problem with is the overall theme of the exercise. According to the Army’s request, they will be using role players, firing blanks, and tossing mock prisoners into camps, complete with arm bands. (Gee, where have we seen those before?) I see no reason to do this in a civilian settings when they have training facilities all over the US.

I take issue with the Pentagon’s statement that this exercise would have in-state economic benefits. Their request states that the ‘estimated economic impact is approximately $150,000’, but they don’t explain where or how that income will be generated. Regardless, it’s government money (aka our money) doing nothing but going in a circle, via various restaurants & hotels, then right back to the government in taxes, so far as I can tell.

~Kathy

Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Louie Gohmert on Jade Helm

1. Buck says:

I agree. Rick Perry is definitely wrong on this one. There have been exercises in the past and the military played both sides, one unit dressing up as the ‘enemy’ and the other the good guys and they have always been on military reservations like Fort Hood or Camp Pendleton.
    I do not trust the perfumed princes Obama has installed after he purged the real military leaders. I don’t trust ’em any farther than I could throw a tyrannosaurus rex.

• Kathy says:

Exactly, Buck, and that’s one of the reasons they have so much land and even a mock city, is for exercises like this.

Another thing we’re finding out about this is that some county officials approved the plan but failed to tell the residents about it, as is the case in Bastrop County. That could cause huge problems if an unaware land owner sees someone trespassing.

Another thing I’m curious about is why they picked the hottest months of the year to have their drill. I guess they’ve never been to south Texas in July & August where people break out in a sweat just crossing the street.

• Uriel says:

Given all the whining these guys did about budget, I wonder just how much of the just agreed upon funds are going to be used on this!$$$$ You add fancy new presidential plane, new military compound outside DC (actually at least 2 umm I found one by accident when I got lost one day back in 2006.)

• Uriel says:

The military has tons of closed bases with all kinds of terrain and fenced so innocent people aren’t involved this would cut down by a good bit expenses. Absolutely No need for this exercise Especially on this scale.

Great comments, Kathy.

The Pentagon spokesman said, ““Jade Helm is a long planned and coordinated exercise,” a Pentagon spokesman told CNN. “We are not taking over anything.”

How does that in any way address the concerns of the public? What does it matter if it was “long-planned” or “coordinated?”

I agree that it’s a stretch to believe our military would help Obama take over the country, but I don’t understand the purpose of these exercises. What does it prove if American soldiers can blend in with the population in rural America? If you really want to see if they can infiltrate hostile territory, send them to Harlem. They could probably test their battle skills there. Or send them to Hamtramck, Michigan where the city council voted unanimously in April 2004 to allow five-times-per-day Muslim call to prayer to be broadcast over Hamtramck’s loudspeakers, and non-Muslim citizens were given no say in the matter. They could get a good taste of hostile territory there.

• Kathy says:

Thanks, CW. I read somewhere that the purpose of this different type of training is because the enemy is changing – war tactics are different nowadays and our military has to adapt to that. Instead of facing them on a battlefield, we have to be ready to face them on the streets.

Of course, that brings up the argument of our government working harder at getting rid of the enemy, so we don’t have to battle them in the streets. We know their training camps are here, yet we let them stay. Since when are our streets the new battlefield?

Simply because something is long planned and coordinated doesn’t mean it’s the right plan. Or an innocent one.

• Uriel says:

How hard would it be to set up in one of dozens of ghost towns and let them play act. Heck Im sure Hollyboo would send out a few techies free of charge.

• Kathy says:

We did a post last year (?) on a mock town they built somewhere that looked quite real – it even included a church, and no doubt it cost us millions to build it. Also no doubt that if we built one, we likely built more than that, so we got Hollywood beat. We could probably make money renting to them, but our government doesn’t make money. They only spend it.

• I.R. Wayright says:

The real purpose of the exercise is to prepare Americans to accept a military presence on our streets (A.K.A. martial law) so that when the UN comes to help confiscate our weapons, things will go more smoothly.
      (And I do hope I’m wrong on this.)

• Kathy says:

You think this is a warm-up exercise? A lot of people would agree with you, and from all the videos and stories I see circulating, folks are getting very antsy.

• I.R. Wayright says:

They are going to practice snatch and extract so that when it comes time to round up individuals in the middle of the night that are on THE list, all will go smoothly.

• Kathy says:

Yep, and if that weren’t bad enough, we’re funding this snatch & grab. Texans, or anyone else for that matter, isn’t going to take too kindly to that, especially when the government is importing new citizens as fast as they can. Things could be about to get really ugly.

3. Just Gene says:

Remember Kent State!
    luvya

4. Garnet92 says:

If we had a real honest-to-goodness American president in charge, I wouldn’t be concerned, but with the closet muslim, black panther-leaning, un-American, would-be emperor in charge, I AM concerned. No matter what he says (he lies), there is something up his sleeve – and it won’t be good for the country – bet on it.

• Kathy says:

A normal person fitting that description would be in prison, not leading the country. We are in one hell of a mess right now when it’s gotten so bad we feel we can’t even fully trust our own military.