DHS Buying 62 Million Rounds of AR-15 Ammo

From Liberty Eagle:

IMG_4896.JPG

The Department of Homeland Security is set to purchase over 62 million rounds of ammo typically used in AR-15 semi-automatic rifles, just weeks after the ATF was forced to back down on a ban on M855 bullets.

posting on FedBizOpps.gov this week reveals that the DHS is looking to contract with a company to provide 12.6 million rounds of .223 Remington ammunition per year for a period of five years – totaling 62.5 million bullets.

The solicitation explains that the purchase is intended, “to achieve price savings over the current .223 Rem duty ammunition.” The bullets will be used by U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents nationwide for “training” purposes.

The .223 Remington is one of the most common rifle cartridges in use in the United States and is used both in bolt action rifles and semi-automatic rifles such as the AR-15 and the Ruger Mini-14.

In 2013, following concerns about the DHS buying large quantities of several different types of ammunition, weapons manufacturers noted that the feds may have been attempting to control the ammunition market by forcing manufacturers to hold back stock from general sale.

“If they periodically do this in increments, they’re going to control how much ammo is available on the commercial market,” a weapons manufacturer told Michael Savage, adding that the contracts with bullet manufacturers stipulate that everything made goes to the government as the number one priority before it is allowed to enter the commercial market.

In March 2013, Californian Congressman Doug LaMalfa and 14 of his House peers wrote a letter to the Department of Homeland Security demanding to know why the federal agency was buying so many rounds of ammunition and whether the purchases were part of a deliberate attempt to restrict supply to the American people.

“The extraordinary level of ammunition purchases made by Homeland Security seems to have, in states such as my own, created an extreme shortage of ammunition to the point where many gun owners are unable to purchase any,” LaMalfa wrote in the letter.

~~~~~~~~~

Training?? Sure, you say….

Granted that those 62 million rounds will be bought over a 5 year period, or so they say, but if memory serves, I’d swear we just battled the ATF over whether or not to ban this ammo for sale to the public. Remember seeing all the stories about the green tips?

Yep, sure enough, they tried to take it off the shelves because it could threaten police safety. Fortunately, their move to ban it was shut down by the NRA and some 90,000 comments on the proposal. At least for the time being.

So now that the fervor is over and people have resumed their normal lives, instead of using the ATF, our government is using the DHS to buy up the stock.  All in all, it could possibly bring about the same result as banning the ammo. If they buy it all, and evidently they demand top priority from the manufacturer, then isn’t the end result the same? Almost.

Now this ammo isn’t available to the public because they bought it all – the double whammy is they bought it with our money.

~Kathy

Tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to DHS Buying 62 Million Rounds of AR-15 Ammo

1. Uriel says:

since they bought with citizen money then they should have to be made to REDUCE their budgets while having all current purchase requests Cancelled and then have oversight review and approve Every purchase of any materials and equipment

• Kathy says:

Good luck trying to make this out-of-control department do anything. They’re O’s henchmen and oversight committees are a joke nowadays with zero power.

2. upaces88 says:

This realllly ticks me off in more ways than one!
    I’m a Senior Citizen. I know my neighbors. Nothing too much ever happens around here. It is a very quiet community.
    I thought it’d be a good idea though to go ahead and buy a weapon. I did. It is just a little 25 Cal ACP.
    Looks like now, I’ll have to go ahead and buy a MUCH larger Cal weapon.

I live in a quiet area. We have a good police dept. BUT THIS!!! THIS is EVIL.
    I don’t know what else to say now………

• Hardnox says:

Upaces, for the record a .25 ACP is a bit small for home defense unless you are an expert shot. More than likely you will just piss off an intruder. I recommend trading it in for at least a .38 caliber, preferably a .357 magnum in a revolver. There are boatloads of them around that are used. Most state cops had them before they went to autos. It’s a great gun and you can practice with .38’s. Load it with .357 hollow points for home defense. Stay away from auto loaders. Too many buttons in a bad situation. A revolver is the best point & click interface ever designed.

• Kathy says:

Hardnox is right – you need a bigger gun. What I use is real close to what he recommends. My go-to for defense is a .357 revolver loaded with .38. It packs a punch I can handle, whereas loaded with .357 is a bit overpowering, but that’s just me.

This purchase is another tried and true method to limit civilian access and to drive up the price.

• Kathy says:

Right you are, if they can’t stop us one way, they simply shift to a different tactic.

• I.R. Wayright says:

Simple, just open up more production lines. BTW, If I was manufacturing for the US government, I would make some super hot loads to blow up in their faces.
        In Vietnam, certain individuals would sneak into an enemy area and if an arms cache was discovered, they would substitute some seriously altered weapons that would fail in a catastrophic way when fired.

• Kathy says:

I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that the manufacturers are beefing up production. They probably prefer to fill civilian order first, but the govt orders keep the doors open.

4. vonMesser says:

I believe these guys are also responsible for the .22LR shortage as well. That stuff’s hard to get out here, especially the 42gr stuff I need for my rifle because the 40gr stuff is not powerful enough.