(Monica Crowley is a host and political and foreign affairs analyst for the Fox News Channel and host of the nationally syndicated radio program, “The Monica Crowley Show”. She is a graduate of Colgate University with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, Crowley went on to receive two Masters Degrees and a Ph. D. in International Affairs from Columbia University.)
The dirty little (open) secret about the press
The dominant media is outraged only because Rolling Stone got caught
Rolling Stone finally admitted that its recent story about a vicious rape on the University of Virginia campus was a lie. Adding journalistic insult to injury, the magazine announced that the “reporter” who made it up will face no disciplinary action. In fact, she gets to keep her job at the magazine.
Many in the journalistic community are “outraged.” NBC’s Brian Williams lost his gig, at least temporarily, for fabricating details about his own life. But this “reporter” fabricated a violent criminal assault that ruined some young men’s lives and smeared an entire university, and she’s still picking up her Starbucks and heading to the office every day? Unacceptable.
Before we think that these “journalists” have finally discovered standards, a reality check is in order.
The same folks who are expressing outrage that Rolling Stone has blown off its journalistic responsibility have blown off their own. For seven years, they have been supine as President Obama and his policies have ravaged the Constitution and jeopardized the nation’s security. Worse, they have often made excuses for the unconstitutional and dishonest behavior, and have buried or ignored stories when reporters and even an entire network — Fox News — have attempted to uncover the truth.
While they’re whining about Rolling Stone’s journalistic crimes, this same group of “journalists” has been perfectly fine with:
• The Obama administration’s sanctioned and institutionalized targeting of conservatives and religious groups through the Internal Revenue Service. They also bought Mr. Obama’s claim that he learned about the systematic abuse by watching news reports about it on television (even though he has insisted repeatedly that he doesn’t watch the news.)
• Not showing any journalistic curiosity into what really happened during and after the terror attack in Benghazi that killed four Americans, including the U.S. ambassador. They did not feel compelled to look into key questions, such as the whereabouts on the night of the attack of the president and then-Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, who came up with the fiction about an obscure YouTube video as the source of the violence, and why the administration failed to respond to those under fire.
• Not investigating what the United States was really doing in Benghazi, and whether or to what extent Mr. Obama or Mrs. Clinton had authorized an illegal transfer of weapons to Syrian rebels and others who would later become known as the Islamic State.
• Being uninterested in whether Mrs. Clinton was running her own rogue intelligence operation via her old political hitman, Sidney Blumenthal, despite Mr. Obama’s explicit prohibition on his hiring.
• Not examining the impact of Mr. Obama’s selling out of allies such as Israel, Ukraine, Poland and the Czech Republic and the fawning support of dangerous enemies such as Iran and the Muslim Brotherhood while accommodating other adversaries such as Russia and Cuba.
• Leaving unquestioned Mr. Obama’s gutting of the military and his retreat of U.S. power and their connection to the current violent upheaval across the Middle East.
• Not exploring the political reasons why the administration is allowing a porous southern border and the surge of tens of thousands of illegal aliens into the country.
• Refusing to investigate the Department of Justice’s selective prosecutions of politically inconvenient folks such as Sen. Robert Menendez while declining to prosecute allies such as the New Black Panther Party and the Internal Revenue Service’s Lois Lerner.
• Shrugging off the White House’s deliberate targeting of fellow journalists such as Sharyl Attkisson and James Rosen, and spying on news organizations such as The Associated Press.
(Click here to read the full list.)
The only difference between the Rolling Stone “reporter” and these “journalists” is that the magazine writer got caught. The Rolling Stone debacle is one more example of journalists being more interested in creating a narrative that supports their agenda than reporting objectively.
Their faux outrage over Rolling Stone is really about the exposure of their craft as the lie-generating partisan advocacy enterprise it is. And that reality is the greatest true outrage of all.
Monica is saying what we’ve been saying for years and her criticism is clearly warranted. But nowhere in her article or in other criticisms of the mainstream media do you see or hear the one word explanation for this bias. The one word is DEMOCRAT.
With the exception of Fox News, most all the other television networks are run by democrats, aka lefties, as is almost all the print media. Consequently these Democrats do not run ‘news organizations’ staffed with journalists seeking the facts. They are agenda-driven mouthpieces, i.e. echo chambers of the Democrat Party.
As Garnet pointed out in his excellent piece yesterday, they fabricated the truth three times in just one day. The likelihood of them changing their ways is about as possible as O changing his lefty commie ideology.