Region-wide power outage

Power outage

An equipment failure is to blame for a region-wide power outage that impacted the White House, the Capitol, the University of Maryland and other buildings throughout D.C. and Maryland on Tuesday afternoon, according to a power company official.

Officials reported that about 12:30 p.m., a ceramic insulator broke free from its support structure and fell onto a 230 KV transmission line. The falling line caused arcing and a grass fire. Some reported the sound of the high voltage short as sounding like an explosion. The incident occurred at a power switching station in rural Charles County, Md. The station is owned by Pepco and Southern Maryland Electric Co.

The power outages affected the White House, the Capitol and other buildings throughout D.C. and Maryland. While there was no loss of a permanent electric supply, a dip in voltage caused monitoring equipment to transfer to backup systems.

There were the usual reports of people stuck in elevators and escalators not working and the University of Maryland closed their campus early due to the outage.

In all, no injuries or fatalities were reported and officials expected that power would be returned to all customers by Wednesday morning.

So, this was a brief taste of a power outage that only lasted a matter of minutes for most inhabitants. Still, it wasn’t a pleasant experience for those trapped in an elevator or in a darkened building without electricity.

Just imagine if the power was out for several days. I wonder how long it would take for the fire department to rescue all of the people who were trapped in elevators.

And what about those poor panicked democrats who became trapped on non-working escalators – wouldn’t they deserve rescue too?

This was but a taste, a tiny taste of what could become a disaster situation if the outage lasted for just a few days.

Garnet92

Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Region-wide power outage

When I saw this yesterday afternoon, I thought wow, we just talked about this and boom it happened. There was no mention of it, but I assume the White House, etc have some sort of back up generators. I wouldn’t think they’d let a power outage shut them down for any length of time.

Those poor dimwits on the stuck escalators? I say let them figure it out…if they can.

• Garnet92 says:

Yep, they have backup generators at the White House – they HAVE to have them. It just wouldn’t do for Odingleberry to be slowed in his quest to destroy America, now would it?

Here in Virginia, I live less than 100 miles (as the crow flies) from DC and even we lost power for a few minutes. The next county over lost power for over an hour. All caused by a momentary and minor blip in the system. It sure does highlight how sensitive our electrical grid truly is.

Many facilities in DC and the surrounding Virginia – Maryland DC metro area were closed and still are. Many traffic lights are still out due to power surges when the power was restored.

Metro rail stations were closed due to the escalators not working. WTF! Then they would be called stairs!

All in all, IF/WHEN we are hit by bad characters this country’s infrastructure will collapse like a house of cards and the morons running it will be too confused to understand that escalators become stairs. We are screwed.

• Garnet92 says:

Right, I shudder to think of what this country will look like if an outage darkens the entire Northeast for even two weeks. I trust you can last that long yourself – BTW, thanks for the heads up on this.

• Hardnox says:

My pleasure. Glad you ran with it.

Yup, I can hold out a long time. Several years back we lost power for 18 days after a hurricane and we didn’t miss a beat. Living out in BF Egypt forces one to be prepared.

Unfortunately the urban areas will melt down in days.

Here’s what happened yesterday:

• Kathy says:

“Somebody do something!” It’s always up to somebody else with these guys. This is exactly what I had pictured, lol. Let them rot there.

• Garnet92 says:

That’s a perfect depiction of a liberal mindset. Hep us! Someone please hep us! They’ll wait there ’till a conservative comes along and suggests a solution.

• Bullright says:

I have to call BS here, like neither one had a phone?? LOL 🙂

• Garnet92 says:

Yeah, like either one would have left their home “phoneless” ain’t gonna happen. But Bull, you’ve got to have compassion for those poor souls caught on the stopped escalator – ohh the humanity!

• Garnet92 says:

Glad you found that! I was looking for a still image that illustrated that and couldn’t find one.

4. Bullright says:

Garnet, pretty bad, you think someone might be trying to get our attention? Wonder if the NSA lost any power?

5. I.R. Wayright says:

The power outage and associated surge probably wiped out all incriminating emails from the various scandals. Any bets?

• Hardnox says:

I wouldn’t bet against that one. It’s safe to say that the surge went all the way to Hildabeast’s house in Chappaqua, NY.

• Garnet92 says:

Actually I.R., in the coming 4th installment of the Hillary papers I’m working on right now, I suggest that she’s replaced the hard disk in that server with another one and sent the original one to the crusher to be destroyed. I suggested that she will say that she had to replace the drive because it “crashed.” But now, this power outage becomes a better excuse for the drive failing. Let’s stay tuned and see what happens.

• I.R. Wayright says:

A power outage doesn’t destroy a hard drive. It may make for a bad sector or could possibly damage some motor circuitry if there is a large surge. But still, all or nearly all, the data on the disc itself would be recoverable by experts.

• Garnet92 says:

Of course not, I.R., most folks know that but do you think that would prevent Hillary from claiming that it was at fault? I don’t.