My Imaginary Political Cartoon

I’m no artist, nor do I know how to create art for the computer, so you’ll have to bear with me while I draw the image for my political cartoon in your minds.

In the first frame, a massive jet liner flies through the air, set for a collision course with a mountain range not yet visible but looming ahead nonetheless.  Faces of the passengers can be seen through the windows of the plane.  Many are calmly reading their books and magazines or relaxing with their headphones, but others are casting worried looks through the windows, straining to see the doom that they sense is ahead of them.  In the cockpit a lone pilot sits calmly at the controls, playing with this and that button and pausing to take a smiling selfie now and then.  Outside the locked door the more mature and sensible co-pilot is just returning to the cockpit only to discover that he’s been locked out.  Next we see him loudly banging on the door and frantically trying his access code on the keypad with no success.  The pilot has deliberately locked him out to prevent interference with his fun.  A look of dread comes over the co-pilot’s face as he begins to realize the peril for everyone aboard.  With each frame more worried faces can be seen through the passenger windows of the doomed plane.

Now let me fill in the labels for you:

The name on the uniform of the pilot at the controls – ‘Barack Obama, Leftist-in-Chief.’

The name on the uniform of the frantic co-pilot – ‘U.S. Congress.’

The names on the luggage tags of the increasingly frightened passengers – ‘Joe American’

And in big letters on the sides of the plane:  ‘United States of America’

The world is watching as the sickening tragedy of the crashed Germanwings plane unfolds.  No doubt we can look forward to endless hours of hindsight analysis in which people will lament that the warning signs were there but people ignored them.  They will say that the safeguards didn’t work because no amount of safeguarding is foolproof when people are not vigilant.  They are right, and such blind irony is the stuff that makes for great political cartoons.

~CW

13 Responses to My Imaginary Political Cartoon

1. I.R. Wayright says:

I think it would be more fun to see a plane load of the “Democrat Socialists” in congress on the way to their doom.

Brilliant analogy, CW. That is exactly what we’re doing. We gave up vigilance, but when? It probably started long ago, but I think it compounded after 9-11 when people traded it in for so-called safety.

• CW says:

Thanks, Kathy. Unfortunately hindsight is always 20-20.

People seem to expect danger to look something like a masked ISIS terrorist or a street thug. They don’t expect it to come dressed in a nice pilot’s uniform or an expensive suit. This is the mindset that needs to be changed.

3. clyde says:

Take a bow, CW. You would be an excellent play-by-play radio announcer. That was a brilliant portrait you verbally painted.

• CW says:

Thanks, Clyde. Those of us who are artistically challenged have to work with what we’ve got.

Well done CW. The analogy is spot on!

The bad actors of the world are cheering the crash. Ditto the lemmings that don’t know yet the sudden stop at the end. Only those of us paying attention are the ones screaming.

• CW says:

You’re right about that, Hardnox. When then finally realize the end is near they will no doubt blame the co-pilot for failing to rescue them.

5. Uriel says:

Good imagery. Except. The pilot would be jettisoned into volcano on top of the mountain by co-pilot as congress frantically brings plane back on course

6. Garnet92 says:

Nicely done CW and (unfortunately) entirely appropriate. We are plummeting towards a fiery end if we can’t stop what Barack has planned for us. We can only hope that as he’s trying to lay out his prayer rug in the cramped space, he accidentally hits a button that either opens the door or turns off the auto pilot.

7. Pingback: My Article Read (3-27-2015) (3-28-2015) | My Daily Musing