Media freaks out over Ted Cruz buying ObamaCare insurance

Media freakout over Ted Cruz buying ObamaCare insurance reaches day two

From: hotair.com, by: Allahpundit, on: March 25, 2015, see the article HERE.

Ted Cruz - obama applies to everyone or no one

Alternate headline: “Man who wants to abolish IRS continues to pay taxes.”

Lay aside the obvious point that there’s no inconsistency in obeying a law you oppose. Are people really so stupid that they don’t see why Cruz is doing this?

“We will presumably go on the exchange and sign up for health care, and we’re in the process of transitioning over to do that,” Cruz, a Republican candidate for president, told The Des Moines Register on Tuesday.

Cruz’s wife, Heidi, is going on an unpaid leave of absence from her job at Goldman Sachs to join Cruz full time on the campaign trail, Cruz told the Register…

Asked whether it chafes to have to rely on Obamacare, Cruz told the Register: “Well, it is written in the law that members will be on the exchanges without subsidies just like millions of Americans so that’s — I think the same rules should apply to all of us. Members of Congress should not be exempt.”

Cruz currently gets his insurance through his wife’s plan. That insurance is suspended once she takes a leave of absence to campaign with him, leaving him with three options. He can decline to purchase insurance, which no husband and father with the means to get coverage would ever do. His wife could use COBRA to keep her Goldman Sachs insurance intact for another 18 months, which would cost the family a bunch and would leave them uninsured circa October 2016 when the coverage lapses (assuming Mrs. Cruz hasn’t returned to work by then). Or he can follow the Grassley rule and buy an unsubsidized ObamaCare exchange plan, as federal law requires of members of Congress. Why, oh why, might Cruz prefer what’s behind door number three notwithstanding his ferocious opposition to ObamaCare? Anyone want to guess why a guy running for president as a loud-and-proud populist might choose to subject himself to the same unpopular program that millions of Americans are coping with right now?

Dave Weigel offers a remedial lesson on politicking for the pundit class:

Cruz is finding a political advantage in his unhappy journey into Obamacare. In an interview with CNN, Cruz contrasted his sacrifice with the law-dodging ruthlessness of the Obama administration. “I believe we should follow the text of every law, even law I disagree with,” Cruz told CNN’s Dana Bash. “If you look at President Obama and the lawlessness, if he disagrees with a law he simply refuses to follow it or claims the authority to unilaterally change.”

Cruz is deftly using the oddly-enough angle of this news—Obamacare-hating senator forced into Obamacare—for a populist cause. He’s not the first Republican to do so. In his successful 2014 campaign for Senate, Colorado Representative Cory Gardner repeatedly talked about the family plan he’d held onto until it was scrapped for not meeting the ACA’s standards…

Why was Gardner on the endangered plan? Because he declined the coverage available to him as a member of Congress. At personal cost, he took a decision that made him more relatable and vulnerable to the insurance market. And now Cruz has done the same.

And Gardner won. So here’s Cruz with a decision to make: Does he stick with his wife’s Cadillac plan from Goldman Sachs, at great personal expense, while he’s out in Iowa trying to convince farmers that he’s just like them? Or does he suck it up, take the ObamaCare plan, and use it as proof that not only does he play by the same rules average voters are forced to play by, he’s a rule-of-law stickler who won’t try to dodge statutes that discomfit him, like Obama routinely does on war authorizations and immigration?

If this were any other candidate, the media would see right through it. As Chris Hayes said last night, in terms of his educational and professional credentials, Cruz is “the elite of the elite of the elite.” He needs to polish his populist cred at every opportunity to remake that image; buying an ObamaCare plan is one simple way. But because the media hates him, they can’t get past the seeming hypocrisy and see the basic strategy underneath. Ted Cruz, the commander-in-chief of the anti-ObamaCare movement, is buying … ObamaCare! Can ya believe it?

~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, the media is branding Cruz’s move as hypocrisy, what else can they do? They can’t admit that it’s a stroke of genius – a candidate for president actually voluntarily submitting himself and his family to the same conditions that Obamacare imposes on the rest of the country – the unwashed masses. What hath God wrought? A politician actually following the same rules as ordinary citizens?

As I said before, I think that it’s a stroke of genius and, I hope, the first of many intellectual chess moves that will have the media stumbling all over their “Hooray for Hillary” signs, buttons, and prayer rugs.

Garnet92

17 Responses to Media freaks out over Ted Cruz buying ObamaCare insurance

I too think this is genius. He also highlights the mass hypocrisy of all the other politicians.

2. BrianR says:

Not only that, but what would the headline be if he didn’t sign up?

“Cruz Breaks Law, Refuses Insurance”

As predictable as the sun rising in the east.

Gotta say, this just reaffirms my support for Cruz. If the lamestream media and Establishment GOP hacks hate the guy this much, he IS my guy!

• I.R. Wayright says:

You have got to love it when the lefties hyperventilate every time Ted speaks.
      I wish I could vote for him twice, but I guess you have to be a dem to do that and get away with it.

• Garnet92 says:

Even if he doesn’t win, at least he will probably caused some chest pains and palpitations, some gastric upset, and lots of headaches among the lefties. I’m with you, I wish I could vote for him multiple times too!

I don’t get it. If Cruz was required by law to go into the Obamacare exchange, why is he only just now doing it? If he has always been free to have outside insurance, why not switch to another private insurance carrier now?

The idiot-mittens are calling this hypocrisy, which of course it’s not but perception matters. I wouldn’t subject myself to Obamacare if I didn’t have to.

• BrianR says:

Up until now, he and his family were covered under his wife’s company-provided insurance. She’s quitting that job now that he’s on the campaign trail, so they no longer have that coverage.

• CW says:

I understand now. If Cruz opts to receive healthcare insurance through HIS employer (the federal govt), then he has to receive it via the exchange. I misunderstood Grassly’s amendment. It doesn’t prohibit him from having outside insurance but he would have to pay for it himself, if I’m understanding it correctly.

• Garnet92 says:

You got it CW. And while he could have stayed on his wife’s insurance under COBRA, COBRA would expire 18 months later and he’d be back in the same situation.

• upaces88 says:

HE fought long and hard against Obama’s HCB.
      He announced that he and his wife (who works at Goldman Sachs) got the insurance.
      This is very damaging because now, small clinics. Emergency Care Centers and rural hospitals will be shut down.

This is ALL about big $$.

The media will call him whacko, but it’s really a smart move and a challenge to other Senators and Congressmen. Will they follow suit and obey the law?

5. clyde says:

Good for Cruz. No question the media would pillory him no matter WHAT he does, since he isn’t a flaming leftard. Good post.

6. Uriel says:

I saw clips this morning where reportes on main media channels were actually laughing at lefties on this one. And reminding everyone that all should be signed up in order to be legal. I wpnder how many of the lefties charging ahead with this are “legal”?

• Garnet92 says:

The lefties are displaying for all the world to see what REAL hypocrisy is – they would pillory Cruz regardless of what he did – calling him a hypocrite for choosing to enroll in Obamacare and refusing the subsidy shows how shallow they are. They are so tone deaf that they can’t see that he is aligning himself with most Americans.

7. tannngl says:

This was a wonderful move for Cruz. It shows lawfulness and his identification with us, the citizens.

My state senator and my state rep have both declined state pensions. These pensions are not constitutional by PA state constitution and should be abolished. It still hangs around the necks of taxpayers. These 2 people got elected partly due to their lawfulness and identification with us, the tax payers. Both Republicans in Democrat regions of the state.

Hail President Cruz!