Rape Survivor Makes Compelling Case for Gun Rights

From The Blaze and the 2A Guide:

knife

Jacqueline Kahn, a rape survivor made a compelling case in favor of reforming Maryland’s “may issue” concealed carry laws during a Senate committee hearing last week, explaining to lawmakers why women need to be able to defend themselves.

“I need you to know this is so incredibly difficult for me, but I feel like if I don’t humanize this, if I don’t make it clear how this legislation actually affects your daughters, your mothers, the women of this state, then it’s all just a bunch of numbers.”

Lawmakers are currently discussing a bill that would add “self defense” as an acceptable reason to need a concealed handgun permit. It’s ridiculous that self-defense is an afterthought and a reason to change existing legislation. It should have been the primary reason for allowing concealed carry at all and it should have applied to all citizens. It’s good that they’re readdressing this, but they should have gotten it right the first time.

Also addressing the Maryland Senate committee was retired Maryland Police Officer and former commander of the Maryland State Police Licensing Division Jack McCauley.

McCauley openly admitted he was once a strong advocate of Maryland remaining “may issue,” but illustrated how his stance and fear over citizens with permits came from a lack of knowledge on the issue.

“They not only schooled me — they embarrassed me. They humbled me. I was wrong. I was completely wrong.” McCauley stated referencing his experiences speaking to gun rights advocates, notably the AGC Gun Club.

McCauley stated, “These crazy people, these Second Amendment activists, they’re all going to want these, they’re trophies. They’re all going to want these permits, it’s going to be scary. Dangerous people are going to be getting guns. Just any Joe citizen is going to get a gun.”

But after making those remarks, former Officer McCauley began doing some research on the issue for himself. He said, “When I say I studied it, I mean I slept two hours a night studying it. And I found out some staggering information about handgun permits and what was going on. My fears were not justified.”

That he was such staunch advocate for gun control makes his testimony that much more significant. It’s an admirable quality in a person to admit he was wrong and to be able to back it up with facts instead of fears.

Ms Kahn stated her case quite well and her map got their attention, but the best part was her parting comment after the Senator asked her where she lived. “You can come for tea.”

Maybe someday we’ll get it across to lawmakers that the Second Amendment doesn’t give you a right to own a firearm, but rather it was supposed to prevent the federal government from making law to infringe on carrying and owning firearms.

Will Maryland get it right this time?

~Kathy

Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Rape Survivor Makes Compelling Case for Gun Rights

1. captbogus2 says:

Once again. Why does anyone have to obtain permission from the government to exercise their Second Amendment right?
    Does the Second Amendment say, “…shall not be infringed upon..”?

• Kathy says:

I’ve always agreed with your stance on the 2A Cap, but that’s not the world we live in today. I don’t know when it first got contorted and twisted into the pretzel it is today, but it’s been going on for a long time and it seems like it will be a never-ending battle.

Along with Connecticut and New Jersey, Maryland is one of the worst culprits.

2. Uriel says:

The only reason Capt that I know is so that those with criminal, mental, or ideological issues (terrorists) might be kept legally from owning a gun. We all know though in any situation gone wrong if someone wants to do bad things they will find a way. There have been times in my life as a wife, mother, and individual when having a gun and training to use would have been good. It isn’t the gun though that is the issue really but the empowerment to feel that someone can successfully defend oneself from aggression. The same is needed for bullying.

• Kathy says:

Exactly, Uriel and at any time you may have chosen to pursue the purchase of a weapon and the training, you should have been able to do so unrestrained. It is your right and has been since the beginning.

No state or federal legislation should treat self-defense as an add-on.

• captbogus2 says:

Do like they did in the old, sane days. Punish the perpetrator for the crime. Not the gun owner who did nothing wrong.

Great post, Kathy.

There’s something deeply wrong when a government presumes the right to allow some pencil-pusher to almost arbitrarily decide who is ‘allowed’ to own a gun and who is not. This amounts to that same Joe Schmo arbitrarily deciding who should be allowed to defend themselves and who should not. Even more disturbing is the realization that the citizens of Maryland did this to themselves, or to be more accurate a majority has apparently taken a basic human right away from the minority. And worse still is that the majority was probably composed largely of women, the very people who are at the greatest disadvantage without a weapon.

Liberal women need to wise up and stop being their own worst enemies when it comes to self-defense.

• Kathy says:

Thanks, CW. Hopefully the senators heard enough good testimony to push them to seriously consider changing this. Even if it’s one state at a time, we absolutely have to take back our right to self defense.

4. tannngl says:

This was excellent, Kathy.
    The woman in that vid stated quite succinctly what Maryland was doing to the women in their state. Putting them at great harm. And her map! That was a wonderful show and tell!!!!

I have relatives in MD who wouldn’t get a permit if the bill passed. But they have a right to that right! I pray this passes.

Pa just passed the Castle Doctrine in 2008. We have the right the Second Amendment gave us over 200 years ago. We can carry anywhere we have a right to be. And we can defend ourselves anywhere we have a right to be. And we no longer must turn and run if an attacker comes at us. That was the old law.
    Thanks to our voted out governor, Gov Corbett and our GOP House and Senate.
    Thank GOD FOR THEM!

• Kathy says:

It’s crazy that, in 2008, you just got back a right that should have been a foregone conclusion since the day the 2A was written. And even crazier that some states still don’t have it and are still fighting for it.

Thanks, tannngl.