UPDATED: Ferguson Shooter Arrested, Was Firing at Someone Else

From Breitbart:

AP Photo/Jeff Roberson

The 20-year-old man charged in the shooting of two St. Louis-area officers had been at the protest outside of the Ferguson Police Department earlier that night, authorities said Sunday.

St. Louis County Prosecutor Robert McCulloch said 20-year-old Jeffrey Williams told authorities he was firing at someone with whom he was in a dispute, not at the police officers.

Williams is charged with two counts of first-degree assault, one count of firing a weapon from a vehicle and three counts of armed criminal action.

The officers were shot early Thursday as a crowd began to break up after a late-night demonstration that unfolded after Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson resigned in the wake of the scathing federal Justice Department report. It found widespread racial bias in the city’s policing and in a municipal court system driven by profit extracted from mostly black and low-income residents.

“We’re not sure we completely buy that part of it,” McCulloch said, adding that authorities are not ruling out that other people may be charged in connection with the shootings. He said the investigation is ongoing.

A 41-year-old St. Louis County officer was shot in the right shoulder, the bullet exiting through his back. A 32-year-old officer from Webster Groves was wearing a riot helmet with the face shield up. He was shot in the right cheek, just below the eye, and the bullet lodged behind his ear. The officers were released from the hospital later Thursday.

McCulloch said Williams used a 40mm handgun, which matches the shell casings at the scene.

Williams, who St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar said is black, is being held on $300,000 bond.

The north St. Louis County resident was on probation in St. Louis County for receiving stolen property, McCulloch said.

“I think there was a warrant out for him on that because he had neglected to report for the last seven months to his probation officer,” he said.

Belmar said Thursday that the officers could have easily been killed and called the attack “an ambush.” Attorney General Eric Holder said the gunman was “a damn punk” who was “trying to sow discord in an area that was trying to get its act together, trying to bring together a community that had been fractured for too long.”

~~~~~~~~~

Obviously, McCullough or Breitbart erred in the description of the gun because a 40mm gun won’t fit in a car, and certainly not in a person’s hand. I’m pretty sure they meant .40 cal,  as Fox is reporting it as such.

The next thing that sounds lame in this story is that the gunman was supposedly aiming at someone else but managed to hit two cops – a shoulder shot and a face shot. Unless his intended victim was standing next to the cops, he’s either a lousy shot or had other motives and is lying about it. Where were the protestors located in proximity to the cops?

According to Fox, St. Louis County Police Chief Belmar also said “The gunman may have fired from up to 120 yards away, a distance longer than a football field. But with a line of roughly 20 officers standing in front of the building, the shooter did not have to be particularly accurate to hit two of them.”

The shots were believed to come from a handgun across the street from the police department and the prosecutor is looking at the possibility of other people involved. It will be interesting to see where this goes and the slant Holder will put on it next.

Will the kid go from a ‘damn punk’ to a good kid with a bright future in the rap music industry who never caused his mama a moment’s trouble and was unaware the property he received was stolen? Wouldn’t be a bit surprised.

~Kathy

UPDATE:

Here’s a photo that gives the proximities of the shooter, protestors and the cops.

MO OFFICERS SHOT 3

Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to UPDATED: Ferguson Shooter Arrested, Was Firing at Someone Else

1. captbogus2 says:

I don’t think the possibility he was aiming at someone else is so lame. Have you ever seen how black punks hold and aim a handgun?

• Kathy says:

Yes, I have Cap – I may be looking too hard for an alternative plot here and that’s why I want to know the protestors’ location as opposed to the cops lined up in front of the station.

• myfoxmystere says:

He aimed it the wrong way. He meant to shoot himself but thought the barrel was supposed to be aimed away from him.

I’m not buying this bullshit story either. Something stinks here.

• Kathy says:

The prosecutor says Williams was one of the protestors, but naturally all the protestors are denying that he was part of their group. Yet tips from the public is what led them to arrest him.

He’s also saying there could have been more people in the vehicle with him – they’re still investigating that.

• myfoxmystere says:

0bama and Holder farted! They couldn’t hold it.

3. Uriel says:

I am with you Hardnox. Way too much inconsistency.

4. Saltwater says:

I don’t buy that “shooting at someone else” line either. However, I do believe this idiot was probably the most surprised person there when he hit the two officers.

Using this ballistic calculator (http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/), I input data based on the following assumption: He (or the person who bought the ammunition) probably didn’t spend the money on premium ammo, but picked cheap target rounds available at the local Walmart.

I chose Federal American Eagle FMJ (165 gr and 180 gr) for my purposes. I also plugged in a bore offset of .6” as about the average for iron sights on semiautomatic pistols. Everything else was left on default values.

The results show the bullets fired on a “flat” trajectory would drop about 22” over that 125 yard path.

I suspect he was trying to shoot over the LEOs heads in order to scare them, but didn’t understand something as basic as gravity.

• Kathy says:

Your stats make sense for a bullet fired from 125 yards away, but how is that possible without him being in a second or third story window? Buildings would obstruct his view from a street level that far away.

It has to be from a drive-by and a slow one. One freak shot is understandable, but not two. Maybe there’s more than one shooter, but only one confession.

• Saltwater says:

No Texas School Book Depository view needed here. Haven’t you ever seen a father put a child on his shoulders to view a parade?
        Reports indicated the shots came from near a parking lot in an area referred to as the “hill”. This is up Tiffon Ave across from the PD station. Such a location would have given the shooter the slight elevation advantage to see over the crowd, without obstructions like buildings.
        Perhaps this satellite view will help with perspective:

• Saltwater says:

You can also see the “street view” on Tiffin Ave from that page and get a sense of the shooter’s ability to see over any crowd standing along Florissant Rd in front of the station.

• Kathy says:

Salty, I just updated this post and added an aerial photo of the scene. I couldn’t find one yesterday when creating the post, but they’re available today. It looks much like the shot in your link.

Now I can see how his view was unobstructed, but it also tells me he’s lying about aiming at a protestor, since they were across the street from the cops.

What do you think?

• Saltwater says:

I stick with my original thought. He hit the two officers by accident while intentionally firing toward the line of LEOs. He might think it better to deny shooting at the assembled cops, claiming some sort of self-defense effort gone awry.

As I noted before, when you consider the ballistics, and lousy visibility due to poor light conditions at midnight, I sincerely doubt he intended to actually shoot anyone.

Trying to hit a specific target with a handgun involves more optimism than aiming under the best conditions from that distance.

• Garnet92 says:

While I’m hardly in the camp of the shooter, I’ve gotta go with Salty on this one. An investigation will indicate whether the 20 year-old Williams has been frequenting shooting ranges or otherwise practicing extensively. If he hasn’t (and I’m assuming that he wasn’t an expert shot), hitting a target from 120 yds with a handgun isn’t as easy as some reports would suggest, especially when visibility is poor. For any doubters, I suggest that you try it.

Without a spotter and a couple of zeroing shots, or expert knowledge (ballistics) of the handgun and ammunition, I’m not sure that I could score two hits on human-sized targets with 3 or 4 shots and I’m a pretty good shot (at 50 yds and under). 120 yards with no/little practice at that distance, probably little understanding of the ballistics of whatever ammo he was using, it’s extremely unlikely that he hit whatever he was aiming at. I think that hitting two ossifers was purely accidental – let me rephrase that; I do think that he was aiming at the general area of the line of officers, but actually hitting an officer was just bad luck.

My guess is that he was just wanting to get a shooting inserted into the tensions to stoke the racial fire and had no idea of how much the bullets would drop from his “point of aim.”

Of course, he committed enough crimes to go to prison without a premeditated murder charge anyway – as he should.

• Kathy says:

You guys know more about this sort of thing than I do, so I’ll go with y’all’s theory, it’s certainly plausible, although the distance doesn’t look like the 125 yards they’re stating it was. It looks shorter to me, but then the scale of the map or my judgment could be off.

Whatever his intent was or wasn’t, he aimed at the cops, not at a civilian as he stated. I doubt we’ll get all the truth, but I still want to know his real motive.

• Saltwater says:

The photo you have showing the shot origin at point ‘3’ only indicates which side of the street the shooter was on.

The video footage media has been playing was taken by a bystander at that approximate location. Remember, that person turned to look farther up the hill when the shots rang out, indicating he believed the shots came from somewhere behind him.

Moving up Tiffin to near the rear of the parking lot (just above the Fs in Tiffin would place the shooter at the estimated 120+ yards. Using the “street view” and looking back shows this would have been a great vantage point from which to fire on PD station.

There is also an alley of some sort leading away from the area behind that parking lot. If I were so inclined, this would have been my choice for a place from which to fire.

• Kathy says:

I haven’t seen that footage, so I’ll take your word for it and I’m not the greatest at judging distance anyway. It just strikes me as crazy odds for two shots to hit like they did, but then it is a bizarro world we live in.

No matter WHO Thugly was shooting at, WHAT DOES IT MATTER ? He STILL shot in the direction of the cops, intentionally or not. And he should “suffer the consequences”.

After learning more and reading Salty’s info I’m in the “lucky thugly” camp. He was probably as amazed at hitting those two cops as Obama was beating Hillary. 40 cal is fairly high velocity for a pistol round but it still drops like a stone after 50 yards.

Thugly needs to get fried for attempted murder. No parole EVER. The guy is a dumbshit and was probably high while showing his ass for his homies and it went wrong in an attempt to cause a scene.

It’s a protest against cops and TWO (not ONE) cops end up shot. That’s enough said for me to make up my mind.

8. vonMesser says:

No way he shot at anything other than the thin blue line.