Quote Of The Day — March 14, 2015

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”

Ayn Rand,  (February 2, 1905 – March 6, 1982),  Atlas Shrugged, Part 3, Ch. 1

~ ~  Grouchy  ~ ~

Tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Quote Of The Day — March 14, 2015

1. Uriel says:

I find this one sad Grouchy. I am not sure exactly how to express it fully. As a Christian– I believe all life is precious while on earth, giving of self helps me fill the heart to overflowing. Is it asking me to give my life to or for another on earth? No. But then my Lord gave his to save mine, can I do no less? In marriage even though mine fell apart, I believe life should meld together two as one giving meaning and strength to both. If fortunate enough to produce children, natural or blended from others, there is also a deeply special form of asking and giving in this life.. Is this sacrifice or loss of personal self? No. Family can be immediate, extended, or friends through time bonded by love… giving of self to enrich each of us. My brothers and sisters in Christ are worldwide. This to me sounds like one who has greatly lost the true meaning of Living for Christ. We all have experiences to bring us down, but it is How we meet those challenges that forge our strengths and maintain our understanding of now and beyond. How sad and lost must be those who can not see Life is love and giving of self in quiet ways with a smile or hug or look of understanding, validating our life on earth in one way but providing strength of self in that giving in another.

• Grouchy says:

G’Morning, Uriel. There is a difference between enabling, and empowerment.
      There is also a difference between assisting and dependency. It is in those differences that this quote should be viewed.
      Take for example, the government control over our lives, and place that in an individual, interpersonal context.
      This quote has no bearing on working with and assisting others. It DOES have a bearing on one person demanding from another, and feeding off another, as a leech sucking blood.
      I would do everything possible to assist you to the limits of my ability. But I cannot do your “thing” for you, and that also works in reverse.
      I cannot live to your expectations, and still fulfill my own mission and goals in my life. And I cannot expect YOU to live to my expectations, and you still fulfill YOUR goals in Life. We are each very definite individuals, that are expected to live in harmony and in peace, yet not under the CONTROL of our fellow human.

Welfare Queens are the ones I would expect to have the most trouble understanding this, as they have never learned to stand on their own two feet, and assert their pride and prowess as contributing members of the human community.

2. captbogus2 says:

That is one Ayn Rand quote I have trouble with.
    Our men and women in uniform live every day for the sake of us all.

• Grouchy says:

G’Morning, Capt.
      I fully agree with your statement, however I also find it rather incomplete.
      First off, there is the matter of Choice. And every member of the Armed Forces since January 27, 1973, has been a volunteer.
      What means the most to a military person? Freedom of Choice. And they USE that freedom to choose to defend themselves, their family, their country, and overall, their belief in a Supreme Being, however they individually perceive that Being.
      I’ll grant that we are coming into the days of George Orwell’s “1984”. And in a very serious manner, it is in this context that this quote can (and IMHO, Should) be understood.

I will grant, especially, that this comment is difficult to deal with. But I don’t want to run your life. And I sure as the Universe don’t want you to try running mine. Such efforts have been made in my life, and the results were disastrous to all concerned.

When used in the context of what is going on in the world, that is the ONLY way Rand’s peculiar comment make any sense. As a day to day sort of admonition, it DOES fall short. Thanks, GF.

4. Grouchy says:

I agree, Clyde. Thank You for your comment and wisdom.

5. Pingback: My Article Read (3-14-2015) | My Daily Musing