How To Get More People To Own Guns

According to this article on AOL, the decline in gun ownership may be connected to the decline in hunting.

WASHINGTON (AP) – The number of Americans who live in a household with at least one gun is lower than it’s ever been, according to a major American trend survey that finds the decline in gun ownership is paralleled by a reduction in the number of Americans who hunt.

According to the latest General Social Survey, 32 percent of Americans either own a firearm themselves or live with someone who does, which ties a record low set in 2010. That’s a significant decline since the late 1970s and early 1980s, when about half of Americans told researchers there was a gun in their household.

As such, maybe we who hunt should consider mentoring kids who are from non-hunting families.  I think I will get with the local Boy Scout troops and see if there are any kids who are interested in a 3-day weekend hunt.  Preferably kids who don’t have a dad.  I think 2-3 days of personal gun safety and observation after they pass the hunter ed class and then 3-days in the woods might light the hunting fire, and make a future gun owner out of them.

~ vonMesser

About vonMesser

Retired from the US Navy (21 years) and state (20 years). Recently remarried after being widowed for 5 years. 2 daughters, and a step-daughter, all functioning adults). Graduated from college after the Navy with BA in Education, psychology, Economics, History and Political Science. Teach Hunter Safety for Washington (since 1991) and do historical reenactments for Civil War, WW-1and WW-2.

11 Responses to How To Get More People To Own Guns

1. I.R. Wayright says:

Don’t let those numbers fool you. Most of the guns fell out of a canoe or they are buried in the back yard. (Wink, Wink)
    Me? Oh, I sold them when they went up in value and my eyes got so bad I couldn’t shoot proficiently any more. I’m quite certain VM is in the same boat as he is an old goat too.

I like your idea about getting the Boy Scouts involved, VM. I’m not sure what kind of response you’d get but you should check with the Girl Scouts too. They may not want to hunt but learning to handle a gun is a valuable lesson for all genders.

My husband took my two sons with him to take the hunter’s safety class when we moved to California. In fact the instructor said my younger son was the youngest person to complete the course (don’t know if he meant just his course or what) and not having handled guns myself I was initially worried but ultimately quite happy because from then on I always knew that my sons understood that guns were serious business, not playthings, and now I’m confident that they could always defend themselves with a gun if they needed to. That’s a great thing for them and every parent should want that peace of mind.

3. Uriel says:

Agree with CW. I personally don’t have a gun But gun safety is always a good thing. Kids have little understanding of their danger only seeing tv or videos which can’t give an up close understanding. I really think a lot of reported children killing could be prevented.

4. captbogus2 says:

Mentioning guns, hunting and the Second Amendment at the same time always rankles me.
    It reminds me that John Kerry (who served in Viet Nam) goes into a midwestern gun store and tries to effect a midwestern drawl, “Whar can I get me a duck license?”
    Or Hillary believes in the Second Amendment because her daddy, “Used to take me duck hunting.”
    Keeping a gun in the house has nothing to do with hunting.

• Garnet92 says:

LOL! Good for you capt! It’s good to remind our memory-challenged friends that John Kerry “served in Viet Nam.” Thanks for that!

I like your idea of teaching kids to hunt – that’s a timeless skill.

I’m not too sure I buy those percentages though, because O’s been the best gun salesman to come along in decades. I’d bet most of those people in the survey are lying about gun ownership in order to hold onto them.

6. Garnet92 says:

I think that both I.R. and Kathy have a handle on the “reduction” in numbers. I used to have an “arsenal,” but no more, I gave them to some needy, disadvantaged families who lamented, “how can you shoot nobody when you ain’t got no gun.”

• Uriel says:

Lol Garnet. I am thinking there will be donations and river comments aplenty. I did see blurb that ATF has backed off for now.

7. Garnet92 says:

Sorry, forgot to give props to vonMesser for his idea of taking some kids hunting – it’s a great idea and anything that will help the Scouts is a good thing. Teaching kids gun safety and responsible gun ownership would be a great contribution to the community and I’d be willing to make a financial contribution to help defray costs.

8. vonMesser says:

Personal comments here – All 3 of my daughters got real guns (.22LR) before they ever got a toy one. In fact, my youngest was 16 when the first toy gun came into our house – a full sized M16 battery powered water gun. Connie got her gun at 7, Marguerite at 9 and Teresa got a bow, then a gun when she was 10. One of my daughters ended up teaching Hunter Safety for 3 years for Washington Fish and Wildlife.

Can’t fault your thinking here, vM, BUT the “devil is in the details”. Did the General Social Survey just check LEFTIST households ? Sure seems like it to me. Also agree with Cap. For the RECORD, mine were “lost at sea”.