The House voted down a three-week, short term Department of Homeland Security funding bill Friday afternoon. The measure failed on a vote of 203-224 with 52 Republicans voting against the measure.
The three-week measure was intended as a stop-gap to allow the House and Senate time to reconcile their divergent DHS appropriations bills without a DHS shutdown. Funding for DHS expires at midnight.
Last month the House passed a DHS funding bill with provisions to block President Obama’s executive amnesty.
When the bill reached the Senate, Democrats spent much of the month of February refusing to allow debate on it because they opposed the immigration provisions.
After nearly a month of Democrats blocking consideration of the bill, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell acquiesced to Democrat demands this week and moved a so-called “clean” DHS bill, free of the controversial riders. The Senate passed that clean bill Friday morning.
Following the Senate’s passage of the bill, House Republicans passed a motion to go to conference with the Senate to reconcile the chambers’ divergent Department of Homeland Security funding bills Friday on a vote of 228-191.
Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) has already said, however, that Senate Democrats will not entertain a conference committee to blend the bills. “We will not allow a conference to take place. It won’t happen,” Reid told reporters this week.
With the clock ticking on the expiration of DHS funding House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) announced after the three-week funding bill failed that votes later Friday night and into the weekend are possible.
As it became apparent that the three-week measure would fail, House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) exited the House chamber in silence. He did not respond to questions.
Is this is the stand off we’ve been waiting for? The Republicans control the House and the Senate, so the idea they should immediately cave and refuse to even negotiate with the president is not only horrible strategy, but it’s also a rejection of the original purpose of the three branches.
Here are the 52 congressmen and women who have defied both Boehner and Obama by doing their jobs:
1. Rep. Brian Babin (R-Texas)
2. Rep. Lou Barletta (R-Pa.)
3. Rep. Joe Barton (R-Texas)
4. Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.)
5. Rep. Dave Brat (R-Va.)
6. Rep. Jim Bridenstine (R-Okla.)
7. Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.)
8. Rep. Curt Clawson (R-Fla.)
9. Rep. Sean Duffy (R-Wis.)
10. Rep. Blake Farenthold (R-Texas)
11. Rep. Stephen Fincher (R-Tenn.)
12. Rep. John Fleming (R-La.)
13. Rep. Randy Forbes (R-Va.)
14. Rep. Trent Franks (R-Ariz.)
15. Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas)
16. Rep. Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.)
17. Rep. Morgan Griffith (R-Va.)
18. Rep. Jody Hice (R-Ga.)
19. Rep. Richard Hudson (R-N.C.)
20. Rep. Tim Huelskamp (R-Kansas)
21. Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.)
22. Rep. Robert Hurt (R-Va.)
23. Rep. Sam Johnson (R-Texas)
24. Rep. Walter Jones (R-N.C.)
25. Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio)
26. Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa)
27. Rep. Raul Labrador (R-Idaho)
28. Rep. Doug Lamborn (R-Colo.)
29. Rep. Barry Loudermilk (R-Ga.)
30. Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.)
31. Rep. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.)
32. Rep. Mick Mulvaney (R-S.C.)
33. Rep. Randy Neugebauer (R-Texas)
34. Rep. Pete Olson (R-Texas)
35. Rep. Steve Pearce (R-N.M.)
36. Rep. Scott Perry (R-Pa.)
37. Rep. Ted Poe (R-Texas)
38. Rep. John Ratcliffe (R-Texas)
39. Rep. Tom Rice (R-S.C.)
40. Rep. Phil Roe (R-Tenn.)
41. Rep. Thomas Rooney (R-Fla.)
42. Rep. Matt Salmon (R-Ariz.)
43. Rep. Mark Sanford (R-S.C.)
44. Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas)
45. Rep. Mark Walker (R-N.C.)
46. Rep. Ben Wenstrup (R-Ohio)
47. Rep. Roger Williams (R-Teas)
48. Rep. Rob Wittman (R-Va.)
49. Rep. Kevin Yoder (R-Kansas)
50. Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.)
51. Ron DeSantis (R-Fla.)
52. Rep. Scott DesJarlais (R-Tenn.)
Well done, but you can quit talking like the entire department would shut down. As evidenced before, we know it’s only a handful who would be affected, then come back to work with retro-pay.
It’s time for ALL of Congress to grow a spine, for Boehner and McConnell to finally do what we put them there to do and defy Obama’s illegal amnesty. Period.