Quote Of The Day — February 25, 2015

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the most discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!) but ‘That’s funny…”

Isaac Asimov, (January 2, 1920 – April 6, 1992)

~ ~  Grouchy  ~ ~

Tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Quote Of The Day — February 25, 2015

I wonder if that is what the scientific community will be saying 10 years from now about the man-made global warming morons.

The rest of us won’t be laughing.

• Grouchy says:

Looking at it from the perspective of seeing something that isn’t understood, I think he means, “That’s weird – – I wonder what that is?” That is where the advances come from.

But if we’re looking at it as, “That’s funny” hahahahaha~!,,, We’re screwed.

I’ll grant that we cannot abuse the Earth — to me, that’s a ‘given’. BUT~! Earth’s bounty is to be used judiciously and with common sense. And it seems there’s damn little of that~!

Hardnox stole my comment. No question about the quote, though. Good one again, GF.

3. captbogus2 says:

I believe Asimov was referring to the many accidental discoveries down through the years.

4. Grouchy says:

I’m kind of on your side the fence, Capt. And I believe that anyone that tries to develop a new crafts idea, for example, would know PRECISELY how that comment is to be realized.
    And we’re finding it true in the nature of “Dark Energy” and “Dark Matter” as well.
    “We’ve only just begun,,,”

5. Uriel says:

It is certainly safe to say that is true lol. How many beneficial discoveries have been made by students in science fair projects and home grown tinkerers alone back that up!! As it happens MANY. They were neither restricted by scientific pedagoguery nor understanding of laws currently in place YET they pointed out and produced several extremely valuable products which have been snatched up and refined by companies.

• Grouchy says:

In a lot of ways, Uriel, that’s also how we learn after we graduate from school~! We don’t really LEARN, until we abandon what we were taught in the structured setting.
      Thank You for bringing that out.

It sure beats, “Oops……”

• Grouchy says:

AMEN~!
      Reminds me of “independence Day”,,,, when Will Smith and his scientist friend are flying to the alien ship,,, ,,, ,,, L O L !~!

7. Pingback: My Article Read (2-25-2015) | My Daily Musing