Quote Of The Day — February 19, 2015

The government is merely a servant―merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.”

Mark Twain, (Samuel Clemens – Born November 30, 1835, Died April 21, 1910)

~ ~  Grouchy  ~ ~

Tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Quote Of The Day — February 19, 2015

1. upaces88 says:

“When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer ‘Present’ or ‘Not Guilty’.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

2. Uriel says:

Umm not certain I wholly agree with this one Grouchy. On some level even temporary though each elected member is, there are certain rules of society and means to protect and defend an entire body of people within societal dictates of decency that there does have to be a central body to take the best of cultural and behavioral beliefs and represent the entire spectrum within its authority. Otherwise there is chaos, disorder, and constant problems. Samuel Clemens spoke with humor about all of the issues in Mark Twain making a case well even though Mark Twain was himself a rebel.

• Grouchy says:

I agree with you, Uriel. However, what is sauce for the goose must also be sauce for the gander. We have too many special interests today, too many “exemptions.”
      Then again, it would be boring if we all agreed with everything. And I’m a bit of a rebel myself, but WITH a cause!~!

3. captbogus2 says:

Just about the time I start thinking our recent predecessors might have been much wiser than we, I have to remember that they elected Wilson and Roosevelt

The left has forgotten THAT tidbit almost since the time Twain uttered it.

5. Grouchy says:

They totally ignored it, Clyde, as it was a snow white-out, and didn’t fit their agenda.
    W A Y over their head,,,

With all due respect to Mark Twain, I can’t say that I agree with his view of government. We are a representative republic. Government serves us by representing us, and to the extent that the people decide what is right and what is wrong and who is or is not a patriot, it is the government’s job to honor those decisions through its laws.

7. Grouchy says:

By honoring the decisions of the people, and enforcing the laws demanded of the people, then government is, indeed, the SERVANT of the people. However, we no longer have a republican type of government, but it has been taken over by a tyrannical narcissist, and has become a rubber stamp for any executive order that the “Glorious Leader” chooses to issue. NOR have the elected legislators chosen to rein in the abuse of power by the executive OR the Judicial branches of government. This will be especially proven, should Loretta Lynch be confirmed as Attorney General of the United States to replace eric holder.

8. Pingback: My Article Read (2-18-2015) (2-19-2015) | My Daily Musing