Judge Nap Comments on Eddie Routh’s Confession

From Fox News Insider:

Judge Nap on ‘American Sniper’ Trial: Insanity Defense Rarely Works in TX

On Monday, Texas jurors watched Eddie Ray Routh’s chilling confession video in day four of the “American Sniper” trial.

In the video, Routh admits that he knew his actions were wrong and apologizes for killing Chris Kyle and Chad Littlefield, saying, “I guess I need to be doing more thinking in this town than hurting people. I’m sorry for what I’ve done and if I could have done it differently, I would have done it so much differently.”

The defense claims Routh was psychotic at the time, but could his confession hurt his case?

Judge Andrew Napolitano explained on “Fox and Friends” that in the state of Texas it’s the defendant’s obligation to come forward with evidence that he is insane or was insane at the time of the crime. Judge Nap noted that in most other states, the burden is on the government to prove that the defendant is sane.

Judge Nap said that the video could actually help the defense demonstrate that Routh was not behaving normally.

“On the other hand, the evidence of his guilt is overwhelming. Texas is a state that rarely, rarely excludes murder convictions because of insanity, because of the attitudes of Texas laws and Texans,” Judge Nap said.

~~~~~~~~~

As the Judge explains in the video, there are so many factors to consider. I could be wrong, but the way I see it is that Routh’s confession negates the insanity plea, although they could say he was insane then and he’s not now.

This is confusing, but at least for now, they’ve moved away from blaming PTSD for his actions.

Below is a link to a lengthy piece on Eddie Routh that gives some great insight into his mental problems. He had multiple issues and should never have been in the military. There’s quite a bit of background information you may want to skip over. If you start reading at the IRAQ heading you’ll get the gist of it. Beware there are a few F-bombs in the story.

This man is a mental mess and that may be the only reason they took the death penalty off the table.

~Kathy

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Judge Nap Comments on Eddie Routh’s Confession

1. tiretramp says:

My child children will pass away before they fry his ass if they give him death.
    skip

The defense is really reaching on this worthless shithead.

They can’t use PTSD anymore because he was never in combat. The guy is a nut and a killer and needs to be treated as such.

Tree: check
    Rope: check
    Dumpster: check

3. BrianR says:

I read that entire linked article. But here’s my opinion.

He may well be psychologically unsound, but I’ve never agreed with any kind of “defense” based on mental issues.

If someone commits a crime, they’re subject to the full penalty, regardless of IQ or psychosis or temporary insanity or whatever. The victim is just as dead, whether or not the guy was a nut case.

• Kathy says:

In that picture of him, he’s trying to look tough, instead, he looks like he has some major anger management issues.

I tend to agree with you, Brian. The insanity defense might have had its place in some extreme cases, but like everything else it’s been sorely abused over the years. IMO, it doesn’t apply in this case, especially when you add in the confession.

4. Grouchy says:

IF they’ve taken the death penalty off the table, that leaves Life with no chance of parole. OR, two life terms, consecutively, again, no chance for parole.
    There would be no reason for appeal, due to his confession as well as proven guilt.
    Selah

5. vonMesser says:

Mad dog. Just put the shitbird down like a rabid dog.

Got to agree with Brian, and vonMesser both. Kyle is JUST as DEAD, and since NO cure exists for this clown, as with advanced rabies, save the taxpayers a huge burden. Put the rabid nutsack DOWN. I’d want NO LESS if it were ME having committed that crime.

• Kathy says:

No cure for that clown – that’s a good point Clyde. We’ll be paying for his meds and therapy during his incarceration.

Still haven’t seen an explanation for why they took out the death penalty – I’d sure like to hear the logic for that.