Quote Of The Day — February 17, 2015

Actually, all education is self-education. A teacher is only a guide, to point out the way, and no school, no matter how excellent, can give you education. What you receive is like the outlines in a child’s coloring book. You must fill in the colors yourself.”

Louis L’Amour, (22 March 1908 – 10 June 1988)

~ ~  Grouchy  ~ ~

Tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Quote Of The Day — February 17, 2015

1. Barry O says:

Regarding today’s ‘quote of the day’. Part of me disagrees with it in that a teacher teaches sentence structure, math solving, etc. That act is not a guide, but rather an effort to educate the student. I do agree that there are guides and teachers. The guide collects a check and the teacher teaches, or educates. We are all born with outlines to fill in and some of us are blessed with teachers more than guides. Self education is what we develop while on our own each day. Just my opinion folks.

• Grouchy says:

G’Morning, Barry, and welcome to Nox & Friends. There’s kaufey and crumpets on the sideboard – Help yourself.
      In a pure, educational system, the teacher is both a teacher and a guide. To honestly prepare the student for life, one must recognize intuitively the innate desires and abilities of the student. I’ll grant that there are certain, hardcore facts that must be learned and internalized in order to survive in this world as we know it.
      That Said, every student has certain innate abilities that must be recognized and nourished, IN ADDITION TO the imparting of the knowledge of “Reading, ‘riting and ‘rithmatic”, as the old saying goes.
      It is my firm belief that an Educator is both a Teacher AND a Guide.
      And one of my favourite characters, Uncle Albert Einstein is pretty much of the same opinion.
      “I never teach my pupils. I only provide the conditions in which they can learn.”
      and
      “To me the worst thing seems to be a school principally to work with methods of fear, force and artificial authority. Such treatment destroys the sound sentiments, the sincerity and the self-confidence of pupils and produces a subservient subject.”

Points which the current system of education has deemed unnecessary and inappropriate.

Looks like L’Amour nails it again, GF. Good find.

• Grouchy says:

Thank You, Clyde. The value of an education is to expand the horizons of curiosity.
      Just like my daughter, when she was two years old – FULL of questions, and the underlying principle was, “There’s a WORLD out there, Daddy! Teach me about it~!”
      And we had a ball exploring it~!

3. Uriel says:

Perfect choice Grouchy! During my years training that was the focus. Inspire, guide, provide the tools to learn to succeed. NOT go in each day with a government mandated and regulated speech or list of do’s and dont’s. The focus to succeed, the need to absorb and excel are within a single student only. Educating people is like a parent, the purpose of teachers and community to provide the vehicle and key only– the individual can turn the key and drive the car. Knowing goals can be taught, succeeding in those goals are the responsibility of the individual. When we took the teaching of responsibility (societal and individual) and good moral foundation education away we also took away those basic tennets of learning.

• Grouchy says:

Beautifully Stated, Uriel~! To me, all my life has centered, in one form or another, around two words: “What If,,,” and then trying to find the answer. I am not a college graduate, — I am a 50 year sophomore, first semester. I’ve never mastered algebra, let alone any other higher math. NO math teacher would ever explain the PURPOSE of polynomials (or even binomials~!), but I had a lot of fun with Geometry. Oh, well.
      But I learned to expand my mind through Science Fiction, and religious studies. But maybe my understanding of both have barred me from certain areas. And that’s okay, too.
      The answers to Life’s greatest challenges will not be found in textbooks, nor be answered on a test form.

• Uriel says:

Agreed. The most brilliant minds in the world flunked out of formal education because we the educators could not help them with what ifs. And because THEY themselves were driven to explore and dream and produce.

Another thought-provoking quote, Grouchy (does that qualify as self-teaching?). Thanks!

• Grouchy says:

You are most welcome, CW. And if it leads you to a different thread of pondering, yes, then it IS self-teaching.
      The MIND is a wondrous Teacher, when we accept that fact and use it~!

5. upaces88 says:

The most important part of a formal education…..it teaches us HOW to research for the truth vs. having someone teach us “Their Truth.”

• Grouchy says:

The most useful tool I ever used is now as extinct as the DoDo Bird.
      Yet, for many, MANY years, I loved to just browse the Card Catalog in the public library, just to see what was available.
      Sadly, Google and the other search engines don’t have that capability, for finding something one never realized existed.
      Synchronicity is all but dead

6. Pingback: My Article Read (2-17-2015) | My Daily Musing