Internet Hoaxes — Black Muslim in the White House

Greetings to our world-wide membership.
Normally, I do not bother to bring things like this to the attention of a mass audience. However, recently I have received various emails that gave me pause to question. Following is one of those emails.

VERY URGENT PLEASE CIRCULATE

In the coming days, DO NOT open any message regardless of who sent it to you with an attachment called: BLACK MUSLIM IN THE WHITE HOUSE.
It is a virus that opens an Olympics torch that burns the whole hard disk of your computer.
Directions: You should send this message to all of your contacts.
It is better to receive this e-mail 2 dozen times than to receive the virus and open it.
If you receive a message called BLACK MUSLIM IN THE WHITE HOUSE, even if sent by a friend, do not open, and shut down your machine immediately.

It is the worst virus ever announced by CNN. it has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever.
This virus was discovered yesterday afternoon by McAfee.
There is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus destroys the Zero Sector of your hard disk, where vital information function is stored.

~ ~ oOo ~ ~

Upon checking this out, I found that (per Snopes) this has been around since at least the year 2000. In that time, it has had various incarnations, depending on the global situation at the time.
In regards to the current incarnation, I’ll post the information that I found, and there is a lot more available that I did NOT bother to check. I am comfortable with the replies I found, as noted below:

Per Snopes and Symantec, this is a hoax.
1.)

2. )
(This link is proof via Snopes of the hoax. The links in the email are as useful as a milk-bag on a bull. ) NOTE: I did not copy the links in the email, for this reason.

All I am attempting to do, is to make sure our readership is more aware that hoaxes are STILL being sent the rounds. AND to PLEASE verify through Google or any other search / information engine any virus alerts you may receive. Needless to say, this apples to a good many “news” items that we receive in emails, as well.

The staff of ‘Nox & Friends takes great pains to verify the information we disseminate to our faithful readers. We will continue to do so. THAT SAID, there may be times when things “Slip through the cracks”.

But it is very doubtful that Brian Williams or Rosie O’Donnell will ever be able to become staff writers for Hardnox & Friends~!

~ ~  Grouchy  ~ ~

Who learned to verify information the hard way~!

Tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Internet Hoaxes — Black Muslim in the White House

Well, it may not be a virus, but the headline is still very true ! There IS a black muzzie in the WH…several of them in fact.

Thanks for the info, GF.

2. lizentrekin1 says:

Thx Grouchy from one who also watched a virus chomp through her computer

3. Rich B says:

While there are plenty of viruses floating around the web that will infect and render your data files locked or useless, there is NOTHING existing when it comes to a virus that will physically “burn” any HD sector.

And in the event of a virus infection that does trash your data, there are redundant backup systems and apps (I use Ghost to create backups on a second HD) that will restore your files, hence the fact I have two internal SATA drives.

And if your HD data is unrecoverable due to an infection, I have a floppy utility (yes – I still use an external one) that will write zeros to the sectors and restore a physically repairable drive to out of the box condition. Only physical damage such as a stylus or platter crash can truly ruin an HD. And a virus can’t cause that to happen. Only time and or age damage will do that. Hope that helps.

• Grouchy says:

Thank you, Rich. There’s information there I was not aware of.
      That said, I remember the days in the mid-80’s, when they used about 15 inch hard drive platters. And when those puppies crashed, it was audible throughout the whole office.
      A whole day’s work, shot to hell. MANY a time, the ladies and gents inputting the information for payment schedules would double shift – Nice paycheck, but damned tiring~!

• Rich B says:

I hear you Grouchy. My first computer was an HP Pavilion 8240 (1998) and it had a Quantum Bigfoot 4 Gig hard-drive. The damn drive, even when it was working correctly, sounded like a shit-load of marbles rattling around in a tin can. The technology has come a long long way when it comes to efficiency and being quiet. I have two hd’s. One is a 500 gig Western Digital and the other is a 1Terrabyte Western Digital. I do lots of video and image editing so I need much space.

But I have had (and heard) Hd’s physically crash in the past and the sound is unmistakable.

• Grouchy says:

I remember when I built my first one, and when I went to buy the hard drive, the largest the dealer had was a 640 Meg, .and the cost was almost $200.00.
          But then, Rich, at the time you and I are talking about with HD crashes, data input was via punch cards and sorter~!
          How times have changed.

4. Rich B says:

And BTW, I also agree with Terry.

The “virus” is IN the White Mosque alright. I N-E-V-E-R open shit UNLESS I check it FIRST. Snopes is about as trustworthy as Wiki, though.

• Grouchy says:

For a quick check, it’s a place to start. But don’t make either “Sole Source”.
      I have found Wiki to be a very good source for certain items,,,,,