Marines Leave Yemen Unarmed

From Fox News:

Armed rebels in Yemen’s capital of Sanaa seized U.S. embassy vehicles Wednesday after diplomats fled the country over growing unrest.

Pentagon spokesman Col. Steve Warren confirmed that the vehicles were taken by Houthi rebels after embassy personnel and U.S. Marines guarding the embassy evacuated.

Warren said the Marines turned over their small arms to government officials before boarding a commercial flight from Sanaa.

Marines “destroyed the larger weapons” before leaving Yemen Tuesday, Warren said.

Members of the embassy staff told Reuters that more than 20 vehicles were taken by the rebels after the Americans left Sanaa’s airport.

Late Tuesday, the State Department announced that the U.S. Embassy in Yemen had been closed and evacuated after much of the country was taken over by Shiite rebels last month.

Hours later, Britain and France followed suit and ordered their citizens to leave Yemen as soon as possible.

The U.S. embassy had already been operating with severely reduced staff for several weeks. State Department spokesman Jen Psaki said remaining diplomatic personnel had been relocated “due to the ongoing political instability and the uncertain security situation.”

Yemen has been in crisis for months, with Houthi rebels besieging the capital and then taking control and forcing the resignation of the U.S. and Saudi-backed president and his government.

“The security situation in Yemen has continued to deteriorate over recent days,” U.K. Minister for the Middle East Tobias Ellwood said in a statement. “Regrettably we now judge that our embassy staff and premises are at increased risk.” Ellwood also urged all British citizens still in Yemen to “leave immediately.”

In a statement on its website, the French Embassy said it would close as of Friday.

The embassy closures were announced as Houthi rebels, armed with Kalashnikov assault rifles and dressed in police uniforms and civilian clothes, patrolled the main boulevards of the capital, Sanaa, some in pickup trucks mounted with anti-aircraft guns.

Scattered protests could be seen in the city, with demonstrators denouncing the Houthis for taking power and dissolving parliament. Shops closed early and helicopters also hovered overhead.

Houthis attacked one demonstration, stabbing and beating protesters trying to reach the local United Nations office, witnesses said. The rebels detained a number of people as well, they said.

Earlier Tuesday, U.S. officials told the Associated Press that the embassy closure would not affect ongoing operations against the terror group Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).

“The United States remains firmly committed to supporting all Yemenis who continue to work toward a peaceful, prosperous and unified Yemen,” Psaki said. “We will explore options for a return to Sanaa when the situation on the ground improves.”

A group of Islamist fighters in Yemen renounced their loyalty to Al Qaeda’s leader and pledged allegiance to ISIS, Reuters reported Wednesday, citing a Twitter message retrieved by U.S.-based monitoring group SITE.

“We announce breaking the pledge of allegiance to the sheikh, the holy warrior and scholar Sheikh Ayman al-Zawahiri … We pledge to the caliph of the believers Ibrahim bin Awad al-Baghdadi to listen and obey,” they reportedly said.

The State Department issued a travel warning advising U.S. citizens to defer travel to Yemen and urging U.S. citizens currently living in Yemen to depart.

Two U.S. officials said Marines providing the security at the embassy will also likely leave, but American forces conducting counterterrorism missions against Al Qaeda’s Yemen affiliate in other parts of the country would not be affected. The U.S. officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the closure publicly on the record.

Although operations against AQAP will continue, the closure of the embassy will be seen as a blow to the Obama administration, which had held up its partnership with ousted Yemeni President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi’s government as a model for his strategy in combatting terrorism, particularly in unstable countries.

“Yemen has never been a perfect democracy or an island of stability,” President Barack Obama said late last month as conditions in the capital of Sanaa became worse. “What I’ve said is, is that our efforts to go after terrorist networks inside of Yemen without an occupying U.S. army, but rather by partnering and intelligence-sharing with that local government, is the approach that we’re going to need to take.”

The embassy closure will also complicate the CIA’s operations in Yemen, U.S. intelligence officials acknowledge. Although CIA officers could continue to work out of U.S. military installations, many intelligence operations are run from embassies, and the CIA lost visibility on Syria when that embassy was evacuated in 2012. The CIA’s main role in Yemen is to gather intelligence about members of Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula and occasionally kill them with drone strikes. Both the CIA and the military’s Joint Special Operations Command run separate drone killing programs in Yemen, though the CIA has conducted the majority of the strikes, U.S. officials have said.

There were 23 U.S. drone strikes reported in Yemen last year, 26 in 2013 and 41 in 2012, according to Long War Journal, a website that tracks them through media reports.

The Houthis last week dissolved parliament and formally took over after months of clashes. They then placed President Hadi and his Cabinet ministers under house arrest. Hadi and the ministers later resigned in protest.

Earlier Tuesday, Yemeni military officials said the Houthis, aided by troops loyal to Hadi’s predecessor, former President Ali Abdullah Saleh, took full control of the key central province of Bayda province.

The U.S. Embassy in Yemen is the third in an Arab country that has closed since the turmoil of the Arab spring began in December 2010. The other two were embassies in Damascus, Syria and Tripoli, Libya. The embassy in Damascus was closed in Feb 2012 and the embassy in Tripoli was closed in July 2014.

The embassy in Yemen was operating with only a small portion of its usual diplomatic staff and had closed to the public for all but emergency services in January. It had been operating with reduced manpower since September 2014, when the State Department ordered all non-essential personnel to leave the country.

In May 2014, the embassy in Sanaa was closed for several weeks due to heightened security threats.

More at Military.com

(hat-tip Garnet92 & vonMesser)

—oo—

Embassy Marines Unarmed?  You’ve got to be kidding!

No doubt this was an order from the Bolt Neck State Department.  Such stupidity is beyond description.  Luckily no Americans were killed.  Why they and other embassy personnel weren’t evacuated by chopper to a ship is a mystery.  Leaving via commercial aircraft is insane.

I remain uber-disgusted.

Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Marines Leave Yemen Unarmed

I shudder to think what Yemen would look like if it wasn’t an Obama success story.

Not being content to be the only ones appearing stupid, this administration forces our military to look stupid too.

We learned nothing in Iraq about leaving equipment behind. Those vehicles should have been destroyed too or turned over to the government officials – they can be used as far worse weapons than the small arms.

• Hardnox says:

No one in the administration has any honor of even the hint of it thus they would never understand the military. They loathe the military with their every fiber.

Marines are really good at breaking things… on purpose.

3. I.R. Wayright says:

Will the outrages never cease?

4. Garnet92 says:

This is so RONG, it doesn’t even deserve to be spelled right. According to a synopsis of 10-12 articles I read this morning, coupled with the segment on The Kelly File last night, the State Department directed the Marine contingent in Yemen to surrender its weapons, board a commercial aircraft, and hightail it out of the country.

One report indicated that it was approximately 100 Marines – that was the only report that estimated the number of Marines involved – I don’t know how accurate that is.

Our Marines, next to our Special Forces, the finest, most honored fighting force in the U.S. military, were ordered to surrender their weapons and FLEE.

Do you fully comprehend the seriousness of forcing our proud fighting men to give up their weapons without a fight?

This accurately reflects the backbone (or lack thereof) of our current administration, they are cowards and wimps. Obama has neither pride nor honor, and up against a determined enemy, I’d fully expect him to turn tail and run.

But, not a Marine, unless forced to do so by a spineless civilian authority – one that has no business commanding our military forces.

And now, this morning, Marine spokespersons tried to recover from the self-inflicted black eye and further spin the conditions of the retreat – and make no mistake – it was a civilian authority ordered retreat – as follows:

The U.S. Marine Corp denied the report in a statement released Wednesday night: “Upon arrival at the airfield, all personal weapons were rendered inoperable in accordance with advance planning. Specifically, each bolt was removed from its weapons body and rendered inoperable by smashing with sledgehammers. The weapons bodies, minus the bolts, were then separately smashed with sledgehammers. All of these destroyed components were left at the airport — and components were scattered; no usable weapon was taken from any Marine at Sana’a airport.”

To be clear: No Marine handed a weapon to a Houthi, or had one taken from him.

I would have rather that we’d told the Yemeni authorities that we’d leave with our weapons intact or we’d fight our way out – with our pride intact.

• Hardnox says:

Exactly right Garnet. A US Marine is first and foremost ALWAYS a rifleman.

From basic training: This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
      My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
      My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will…

My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit…
      My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will…

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.”

This has the unmistakable stench of Rasputina Jarrett and Lurch ALL over it. No wonder the Middle East and Russia is going to hell in a handbasket. The cretins KNOW the U.S. has castrated ITSELF, thanks to the idiot f – – – ing leftists. Good post, albeit busting the disgust meter.

6. upaces88 says:

HE doesn’t want them coming home and shooting him.

7. lizentrekin1 says:

I do Not think we can afford to wait until 2017. BUT in this we need to call a special session, to strip the 4 top positions of their jobs all at once then hold a special election till end of this cycle. Bring Every Obama lackey before the courts and hit them up for every single law we can possibly prove, then throw all of them in Guantanamo with their buddies.

• upaces88 says:

We do have laws for that….I just found out a couple of months ago.
      Misprision of Treason

This preliminary release may be subject to further revision before it is released again as a final version. As with other online versions of the Code, the U.S. Code Classification Tables should be consulted for the latest laws affecting the Code. Those using the USCPrelim should verify the text against the printed slip laws available from GPO (Government Printing Office), the laws as shown on THOMAS(a legislative service of the Library of Congress), and the final version of the Code when it becomes available.

Current through Pub. L. 112-90. (See Public Laws for the current Congress.)

It can be filed through two entities:

The Provost Marshall, and read below:

• upaces88 says:

Most people feel frustrated and angry because they don’t understand why “OUR Politicians who are suppose to represent us…are failing to do so.
        We have had these laws I am giving all along…No one bothered to sue them.
        I am going to write to Judicial Watch and give the ones I have found.

​18 U.S. Code § 4 – Misprision of felony
        ​Whoever, having knowledge of the actual commission of a felony cognizable by a court of the United States, conceals and does not as soon as possible make known the same to some judge or other person in civil or military authority under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

​​​​LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.
        ​​​​Continue Reading:
        ​​http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/4​

• Uriel says:

I could easily be misunderstanding what I have read but in order to bring civil Or criminal changes against a public official especially at the highest levels, requires removal from office since the office itself as a part of government is immune from prosecution In cases of high crimes. I did read that the Senate has the right to read the charges as listed by the House of Representatives and to bring legal court proceedings in the matter of REMOVAL. However, it is not until released from duty that a person in office is subject to federal court I think. In other words one can bring suit against the entity group for certain violations but it can not be charged for murder, treason, or other high crimes if I understand this correctly. So even if the entire country went into a class action suit against Obama, it could not be placed for trial until malfeasance and impeachment had been done. I am no lawyer so what I am thinking is probably not totally correct.

• upaces88 says:

18 USC § 2382 – MISPRISION OF TREASON
            ​​Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States and having knowledge of the commission of any treason against them, conceals and does not, as soon as may be, disclose and make known the same to the President or to some judge of the United States, or to the governor or to some judge or justice of a particular State, is guilty of misprision of treason and shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than seven years, or both.
            It can be filed through two entities:

The Provost Marshall, and read below:

• upaces88 says:

​18 U.S. Code § 4 – Misprision of felony

​​​​Continue Reading:
              ​​http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/4​

8. captbogus2 says:

Smacks of anarchy, lizentrekin1

9. Liz Entrekin says:

i certainly hope not. But if done by the book , unless I read it wrong, we do have the right to ask our representatives to impeach. Anarchy is far from what is needed in a world gone mad, cooler heads standing firmly upon this country’s constitution have to prevail because whether we want to attention or not our way of life is the one others hold up as their hope.

• Hardnox says:

Liz, I agree. If it were anyone other than Putt the screams for impeachment would be front page 24/7. The R’s have already said “no” which is counter to their responsibilities given them via their office and the voters.

• Liz Entrekin says:

Well from what I can tell the House has figured that proceedings really are too late in game, citing damage has been done. (This is like the theory about forest fires, let it burn itself out praying nature will stop it while cleaning up behind.) But Congress appears to be trying to take steps to counter every move as they consider this the best hope. Really not an efficient strategy to my mind. The one bright spot to this method is putting government employees on notice that Obama’s actions are mostly unconstitutional and procedures are in place they need to follow.

Actually H Res 107 -impeachment for George W Bush – went to committee. It had similar aĺlegations on misconduct but was dropped — given the makeup of 112th group I can see why.

My biggest worry is how Obama’s actions are perceived here at home and globally. Unless we begin proceedings and suggest to others he doesn’t have our backing more constitutional and geopolitical fires will continue to crop up. His actions and words wiĺl only incite bullies and thugs to greater effort and with stronger determination.

The unusual step by the House to have Netanyahu speak in itself does serve notice that Congress is getting fed up.

10. I.R. Wayright says:

This might be a bit off topic but I just got this from our friend in Cairo. One of the Muslim Brotherhood leaders, jailed in Egypt, received a message hidden in some food brought to him. It was intercepted by the police. It read, “Pray for us, we are up to a very big operation.” When questioned, the MB man said, “Oh, it’s nothing, just some surgery scheduled for a relative of mine.”
    What do you think? Would that kind of message have to be hidden in food?
    And, consider that for the first time the MB has come out with threats broadcast from MB TV in Turkey and Qatar, just after the big pow wow at the White House with our chief MB member, BHO.
    Are we about to be hit again or was that message referencing a battle plan in Sinai?