Quote Of The Day — January 30, 2015

With school turning out more runners, jumpers, racers, tinkerers, grabbers, snatchers, fliers, and swimmers instead of examiners, critics, knowers, and imaginative creators, the word ‘intellectual,’ of course, became the swear word it deserved to be.”

Ray Bradbury,  (22 August 1920 – 5 June 2012)   Fahrenheit 451

~ ~ Grouchy ~ ~

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Quote Of The Day — January 30, 2015

1. captbogus2 says:

I’ve read only a few Sci-Fi books. Maybe I should reexamine my priorities.

• Grouchy says:

I gained a lot of breadth of vision from Asimov, Leinster, Bradbury, and others as I was in my formative years. But too, I also asked, “What if,,,” something could be true, or made true.
      E.E. Smith and Robert Heinlein were very important in their ways, also.

Ironically I see it as sort of the opposite from Mr. Bradbury. IMO “intellectual” became a swear word because of the presumption of the leftist’s in the university system that real knowledge and the worthiness to critique others can be learned in their little micro-environment, imparted from other leftists. Instead real knowledge and the worthiness to criticize come from what you do and learn in real life, and from real accomplishment. Obama fits the bill of the despised “intellectual” perfectly. His arrogant presumption of knowing so much more than everyone else and sense of entitlement to criticize others (talking about “mopping up” after GWB) comes entirely from his broad (ahem) experience……in the university.

3. Grouchy says:

G’Morning, CW,,,
    The operative conjunction in Mr. Bradbury’s quote is “Instead of”.
    We have come to the point where college is little more than a training ground for the NBA, NFL and MLB.
    We’re at the point where a B.S. in Liberal arts “Native Basket-Weaving” is of the same intrinsic value as a B.S. in Business Administration, or an M.S. in Organic Chemistry.
    It is no wonder to me, that “Intellectual” has a bad name, when it is applied to the likes of Ward Churchill, as opposed to say, for example, Michio Kaku, or Thomas Sowell or Herman Cain~!

4. Bill says:

Recommended for reading:
    1. Anything by Robert Heinlein (graduate US Naval Academy)
    2. Anything by Isaac Asimov; Poul Anderson (skip everything by his wife Karen); Jerry Pournelle; Larry Niven.
    Lots of what they write will p!$$ you off and annoy you, but will also make you think. Even their “juvies” are good for a thought line.
    3. Then move to the “New Breed”. John Ringo; David Drake; David Weber; Tom Kratman (read Caliphate right NOW!!!!! it’s free on Kindle); Taylor Anderson.

5. Grouchy says:

EXCELLENT choices, Bill.
    The STEN series by Alan Cole and Chris Bunch is an excellent allegory of where we are today. Hard to find, now, but well worth the effort and time to read.
    Glad to see you stopped in. Thank You. I’ve not read much by Pournelle or Niven. Will have to correct that lack~!

• Bill says:

Grouch – you know me. I’m vonMeßer. Just using my laptop while off in Wisconsin with my sweetie for 3 weeks, and it’s got me set up different for replies for some reason. Also won’t let me “LIKE” anything. I forgot about Cole/Bunch. Also didn’t list a bunch of others (such as Scalzi; Zahn’s Cobra books; Jack Williamson) for reasons of space (sorry for the pun). I have probably 5,000 SF books in my collection.

6. Pingback: My Article Read (1-29-2015) (1-30-2015) | My Daily Musing