Mitt Romney says no to 2016 White House run

By David Sherfinski – The Washington Times – Updated: 11:45 a.m. on Friday, January 30, 2015 – read the full piece HERE.

Mitt

Former Massachusetts Gov. and 2012 GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney will not run for president in 2016, he told supporters on a conference call Friday.

“After putting considerable thought into making another run for president, I’ve decided it is best to give other leaders in the party the opportunity to become our next nominee,” he said.

Mr. Romney, who also ran in 2008, had been leading in many of the early polls on the 2016 GOP presidential contest and said he’s convinced he could win the nomination, but that he realizes it would have been a difficult test and a hard fight.

He had made waves by telling donors several weeks ago he was considering running for president again, and made subsequent public appearances at the Republican National Committee’s recent winter meetings in California and in Mississippi this week.

But he said in the remarks first obtained by radio host Hugh Hewitt he believes that one of the GOP’s “next generation” of leaders who might not be as well known as he is may well emerge as being better able to defeat the Democratic nominee.

“In fact, I expect and hope that to be the case,” he said.

One of Mr. Romney’s top would-be rivals is former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, the son and brother of two former U.S. presidents, who is also exploring a bid.

In a statement posted to his Facebook page, Mr. Bush called Mr. Romney a “patriot” who has been a leader in the Republican Party for many years.

“There are few people who have worked harder to elect Republicans across the country than he has,” Mr. Bush said. “Though I’m sure today’s decision was not easy, I know that Mitt Romney will never stop advocating for renewing America’s promise through upward mobility, encouraging free enterprise and strengthening our national defense.”

The announcement could free up a number of big-money donors who might have been torn between Mr. Romney and Mr. Bush, or a candidate like New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

Mr. Romney, who until recently had repeatedly ruled out a third run at the White House, also said it seems “unlikely” that there could be any circumstances that might develop that could change his mind.

~~~

I don’t know about you, but this is good news to me. I believe that Mitt is a good man and has many of the skills that a president needs, but during the 2012 race he revealed a side of him that, to me, disqualifies him to be POTUS.

He doesn’t have the cojones for it.

He had every opportunity to neuter Barack Obama during the debates and was too “gentlemanly” to strike when he had the chance. If he can’t best a democrat incumbent who had everything going against him, and had proven that he wasn’t up to the job, how the hell is he going to negotiate with the likes of Vladimir Putin or Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, or even the little pipsqueak Kim Jong-un of North Korea? I doubt that he could successfully negotiate with Barack Obama either.

Again, a good man, but clearly not presidential material. It’s good that he is exiting the race. It thins the field a little and allows the big contributors (those buying influence with their donations), to put their money on a different horse – maybe even a winner.

Garnet92

Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Mitt Romney says no to 2016 White House run

1. Just Gene says:

But Bush – OMG
    luvya

• Garnet92 says:

Yeah, we don’t need nonna dat! I wish there was a chance that Jeb would bow out as well, but there’s zero chance of that.
      luvya back Gene!

2. Liz entrekin says:

Now if Jeb would do the same we might have a good candidate to come out of the stampede

What Liz said. She beat me to it – next I want to hear the same from Christie.

• Garnet92 says:

We’d all like to see both Bush and Christie go down in flames, and maybe Christie will, but I’m afraid that Bush is the establishment pick and isn’t going away.

Ditto here on your commentary. BFD. I’m glad he’s out. I hope Bush realizes he’s not well liked and Christie does too.

This country needs and deserves so much better.

• Garnet92 says:

C’mon Nox, you know that this upper level of bureaucrat doesn’t care whether they’re liked or not – just look at Ononuts. It really would be an interesting race if Bush wasn’t in it.

5. Bullright says:

I sure agree with you Garnet. Don’t let the door hit you, Mitt. I’m not sure what he meant by “difficult test”. (after failing the test last time)

But there was a plus side with him in it. They could have split the establishment benefiting a real conservative. This in effect made Jeb king of the hill. I wonder if that is what he figured out? So when he said we need a real conservative, I think that was just cover.

“After putting considerable thought into making another run for president, I’ve decided it is best to give other leaders in the party the opportunity to become our next nominee,” — but the real opportunity he gave was to Jeb.

• Garnet92 says:

You’re right Bull, that was an advantage of having one more establishment candidate in the field. In my view, Romney and Bush would be vying for the same support and the same financial backing, I guess now it can consolidate behind Jeb. He’s going to be hard to unseat as the frontrunner. His biggest problem will be in the general election with all of the Bush-haters.

• Bullright says:

That being the case, we’re in for another wicked election. An election about the past.(just what we need) Hillary and Bush. If Romney choked, imagine what Jeb will do?

6. upaces88 says:

I think he has been threatened. He was winning hands down. On the night that Obama had a Campaign Rally, only “200” people showed up. At another rally, people were talking out on him in droves.

After he disappeared for about 2 weeks after Obama got back in to office, he made one statement, ‘It was out of my control.”

I agree with you, Garnet. I also applaud Romney for not letting his ego stand in the way of doing the right thing and stepping out of the way for a winnable candidate.

Good. BUT, I do smell a rat. The Bushes may seem like they’re on the up and up, but my gut is telling me the BIG GOPe money is going with Jeb, because of scamnesty. Make no mistake, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce is throwing all the weight and money they can muster behind cheap unskilled labor. Read: Illegals. Bush,IMHO, would leave the gate the BECS opened up swinging wide.Time will tell, but I STILL will not support Jeb. NFW.

9. Blessed B. says:

Best news I’ve heard in a while! Glad he’s not going for a third time….just how many times does one need to be hit in the head to understand that perhaps I’m out of my league?

Jeb though?…..good grief! I hope not!