From Western Journalism
New York City Councilman David Greenfield denounced a group of pro-Palestinian activists who disrupted Thursday’s Council meeting during a discussion on a resolution commemorating the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz death camp. Activists had gathered in the balcony of the chamber and shouted “Palestinian lives matter” and displayed a Palestinian flag. Greenfield, the grandchild of Holocaust survivors, delivered an impassioned speech that exposed the protesters as plain anti-Semites.
While we were discussing a resolution regarding the murder of 1.1 million human beings, I will point out that 90 percent of whom were Jewish, but the other 10 percent were political dissidents; they were Jehovah’s Witnesses; they were gays. Those were the people who were being killed together in Auschwitz-Birkenau; while we were discussing that, they had the nerve, the chutzpah, the temerity, to unfurl a Palestinian flag and to yell at us while we were discussing that.
The Brooklyn Democrat Councilman’s voice began to rise as he told the chamber that all the Middle Eastern countries, except Israel, are non-Democratic and persecute those who are different from them.
“We can stop pretending that this is about Israel when the reality is every Middle Eastern country that is in existence today is not Democratic and persecutes people of other faiths, and persecutes gays, and persecutes people that disagree with them, and persecutes people on Twitter, and persecutes women who drive, except one country, which is the State of Israel!”
Mr. Greenfield called out the demonstration for what it was:
So what you saw here today was naked blind anti-Semitism! That’s what you saw and that’s what you watched and that’s what you witnessed.
Greenfield continued his rant by accusing the demonstrators for being upset because “Hitler did not finish the job.”
He only wiped out half of my family and only by the grace of God is the other half, me, the grandchild, still alive today. That’s why those people are upset.
The Orthodox Jewish Councilman sharply criticized the protesters for disrespecting the discussion about sending a delegation of 15 members on a nine-day trip to Israel later this year.
Shame on them for hating Jews. Shame on them for hating people. Shame on them for disrespecting the most diverse, democratically elected body in the United States of America, and that’s why we go to Israel.
“I am embarrassed at what happened here today, but I am pleased that we finally see what this is all about – good old-fashioned anti-Semitism.”
Happy to hear that some others are finally standing up and saying what needs to be said! If more of us did this on a daily basis when we are confronted by anti-semetic remarks and actions we just might make a difference.
Just because a holocaust happened once doesn’t mean that it can’t happen again.
Yes…Palestinian lives matter but ….if they didn’t start the fighting then they wouldn’t be losing lives. They obviously don’t care much for Palestinian lives…there actions speak louder than their words. If they did care, they would lay down their weapons and live peacefully beside Israel. Israel has the right to defend herself in any which way she sees fit.