Carlos Hathcock – The “Other” American Sniper”

Today is the anniversary of the Paris Peace Accords which were signed on January 27, 1973 after years of stalling and negotiations. American troops were finally withdrawing from Vietnam although the war between North Vietnam and South Vietnam wouldn’t end until April 30, 1975.

With so many Americans currently focusing on the Chris Kyle movie, American Sniper, it’s fitting today to pay tribute to the Marine sniper Carlos Hathcock who served for twenty years and was a lethal weapon in Vietnam, nicknamed ‘White Feather’.

Although Hathcock estimated he’d made around 300 kills, he’s credited with only 93 because of the confirmation system used then. In the Vietnam War, kills had to be confirmed by an acting third party, an officer, besides the sniper’s spotter. Snipers often didn’t have an acting third party present, making confirmation difficult, especially if the target was behind enemy lines, as was usually the case.

Hathcock deployed in 1966 as a military policeman, but immediately volunteered for combat and was soon transferred to the 1st Marine Division Sniper Platoon, stationed at Hill 55, South of Da Nang. This is where Hathcock would earn the nickname “White Feather” — because he always wore a white feather on his bush hat, daring the North Vietnamese to spot him, and where he would achieve his status as the Vietnam War’s deadliest sniper in missions that sound like they were pulled from the pages of Marvel comics.

CarlosHathcock

White Feather vs. The General

“First light and last light are the best times,” he said. “ In the morning, they’re going out after a good nights rest, smoking, laughing. When they come back in the evenings, they’re tired, lollygagging, not paying attention to detail.”

He observed this first hand, at arms reach, when trying to dispatch a North Vietnamese Army General officer.  For four days and three nights, he low crawled inch by inch, a move he called “worming,” without food or sleep, more than 1500 yards to get close to the general. This was the only time he ever removed the feather from his cap.

“Over a time period like that you could forget the strategy, forget the rules and end up dead,” he said. “I didn’t want anyone dead, so I took the mission myself, figuring I was better than the rest of them, because I was training them.” Hathcock moved to a treeline near the NVA encampment.

“There were two twin .51s next to me,“ he said. “I started worming on my side to keep my slug trail thin. I could have tripped the patrols that came by.” The general stepped out onto a porch and yawned. The general’s aide stepped in front of him and by the time he moved away, the general was down, the bullet went through his heart. Hathcock was 700 yards away.

“I had to get away. When I made the shot, everyone ran to the treeline because that’s where the cover was.” The soldiers searched for the sniper for three days as he made his way back. They never even saw him.

“Carlos became part of the environment,” said Edward Land, Hathcock’s commanding officer. “He totally integrated himself into the environment. He had the patience, drive, and courage to do the job. He felt very strongly that he was saving Marine lives.” With 93 confirmed kills, his longest was at 2500 yards, and an estimated 300 more, for Hathcock, it really wasn’t about the killing.

“I really didn’t like the killing,” he once told a reporter. “You’d have to be crazy to enjoy running around the woods, killing people. But if I didn’t get the enemy, they were going to kill the kids over there.” Saving American lives is something Hathcock took to heart.

“The Best Shot I Ever Made”

“She was a bad woman,” Carlos Hathcock once said of the woman known as ‘Apache.’ “Normally kill squads would just kill a Marine and take his shoes or whatever, but the Apache was very sadistic. She would do anything to cause pain.” This was the trademark of the female Viet Cong platoon leader. She captured Americans in the area around Carlos Hathcock’s unit and then tortured them without mercy.

“I was in her backyard, she was in mine. I didn’t like that,” Hathcock said. “It was personal, very personal.  She’d been torturing Marines before I got there.”

In November of 1966, she captured a Marine Private and tortured him within earshot of his own unit.

“She tortured him all afternoon, half the next day,” Hathcock recalls. “I was by the wire… He walked out, died right by the wire. “Apache skinned the private, cut off his eyelids, removed his fingernails, and then castrated him before letting him go. Hathcock attempted to save him, but he was too late.

Carlos Hathcock had enough. He set out to kill Apache before she could kill any more Marines. One day, he and his spotter got a chance. The observed an NVA sniper platoon on the move. At 700 yards in, one of them stepped off the trail and Hathcock took what he calls the best shot he ever made.

“We were in the midst of switching rifles. We saw them,” he remembered. “I saw a group coming, five of them. I saw her squat to pee, that’s how I knew it was her. They tried to get her to stop, but she didn’t stop. I stopped her. I put one extra in her for good measure.”

White Feather vs. The Cobra

“If I hadn’t gotten him just then,” Hathcock remembers, “he would have gotten me.”

Many American snipers had a bounty on their heads. These were usually worth one or two thousand dollars. The reward for the sniper with the white feather in his bush cap, however, was worth $30,000. Like a sequel to Enemy at The Gates, Hathcock became such a thorn in the side of the NVA that they eventually sent their own best sniper to kill him. He was known as the Cobra and would become Hathcock’s most famous encounter in the course of the war.

“He was doing bad things,” Hathcock said. “He was sent to get me, which I didn’t really appreciate. He killed a gunny outside my hooch. I watched him die. I vowed I would get him some way or another.” That was the plan. The Cobra would kill many Marines around Hill 55 in an attempt to draw Hathcock out of his base.

“I got my partner, we went out we trailed him. He was very cagey, very smart. He was close to being as good as I was… But no way, ain’t no way ain’t nobody that good.” In an interview filmed in the 1990s, He discussed how close he and his partner came to being a victim of the Cobra.

“I fell over a rotted tree. I made a mistake and he made a shot. He hit my partner’s canteen.  We thought he’d been hit because we felt the warmness running over his leg. But he’d just shot his canteen dead.”

Eventually the team of Hathcock and his partner, John Burke, and the Cobra had switched places.

“We worked around to where he was,” Hathcock said. “I took his old spot, he took my old spot, which was bad news for him because he was facing the sun and glinted off the lens of his scope, I saw the glint and shot the glint.” White Feather had shot the Cobra just moments before the Cobra would have taken his own shot.

“I was just quicker on the trigger otherwise he would have killed me,” Hathcock said. “I shot right straight through his scope, didn’t touch the sides.”

With a wry smile, he added: “And it didn’t do his eyesight no good either.“

In 1969, a vehicle Hathcock was riding in struck a landmine and knocked the Marine unconscious. He came to and pulled seven of his fellow Marines from the burning wreckage. He left Vietnam with burns over 40 percent of his body. He received the Silver Star for this action in 1996.

After the mine ended his sniping career, he established the Marine Sniper School at Quantico, teaching Marines how to “get into the bubble,” a state of complete concentration. He was in intense pain as he taught at Quantico, suffering from Multiple Sclerosis, the disease that would ultimately kill him, something the North Vietnamese could never accomplish.

carlos hathcock 1996 resized

Carlos Hathcock, his MS ravaged body being steadied by another Marine, shortly after finally receiving his Silver Star, some 25+ years later.

Carlos Hathcock was awarded the following medals:

Carlos Hathcock, who personifies American exceptionalism, we salute you and thank you for your extraordinary service to our country.

~Kathy

Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Carlos Hathcock – The “Other” American Sniper”

Great story, Kathy. These guys have nerves of steel.

2. Liz entrekin says:

All who serve honorably with valor the principles of our country and Constitution deserve medals but those few who answer the call and go far beyond the necessary to become heroes Deserve to have their stories added to all US history courses as representatives of what true heroism and courage mean. They do not deserve to have just their names on a wall but their honest stories told. These two are the voices for all our soldiers and freedom fighters. Long may they be remembered and receive a heroes welcome home EVERYONE of them. I salute Clint Eastwood for a timely and emotional message to all in THE US and abroad. Semper Fi!

Semper Fi, White Feather. Rest in peace, as you watch down on those you saved. Kathy, THAT was an ECXELLENT find. Take 2 bows.

4. I.R. Wayright says:

I had the book about him, “Marine Corps Sniper” but loaned it out and that was the last I saw it. I was hoping there would be a non-fiction movie made about him and after Chris Kyle’s story success, maybe there will be one.
    He should have been awarded the medal of honor for his fearless service, well above the call of duty. An enemy patrol passed within 6 feet of him while he was positioning himself for the shot that killed the NVA General.
    Today is also the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz death camp.

• Kathy says:

IR, there’s a saying that goes something like only loan out that which you don’t want back, but like you, I’m guilty too. Someone somewhere has a really dog-eared copy of ‘To Sir With Love’ and my favorite old Gene Pitney record.

There were more Hathcock stories, but I had to leave them out to keep the piece a reasonable length. I could read stuff like this all day about our servicemen, yet we have a government where most have so little appreciation of just how much they gave.

It’s hard to believe it’s been 70 years since that horrid Auschwitz ordeal and now most all who remember are gone. Sad that so few today have any appreciation for what it cost.

5. Liz entrekin says:

Well said Kathy. I wonder if the veterans have a web site where they honor soldiers and have stories? It might be that school history teachers who are civic-minded across the US could get their students access.

• Kathy says:

I don’t know of a site, but I’d bet there are several and it’s certainly worth looking into. Are there still teachers who are civic-minded? There’s bound to be a few, right?

• I.R. Wayright says:

A lot of units have web sites. Here is one from the unit I was in. My name is on the roster under the C heading. There are only two or three on this (HardnoxandFriends) site that know what name to look for, and it isn’t Wayright.

• Liz entrekin says:

Yes. Thanks. Now if we got together one location a source
          list and checked with local organizations like PBS in our aresa perhaps they could could sponsor links to give teachers who care a resource. I know my local PBS has many teachers who use their archives to assist in class information. It is certainly a worthy endeavor.

Thanks for posting this.

Excellent, Kathy. Many Thanks for this.

8. John Meyr, USMC Retired says:

The story of “White Feather” has been shown on a TV channel out of Tampa Bay…channel 103. Wish I could be more informative, but I seem to remember that his exploits have been documented at the Marine Corps Museum at Quantico. He has also been honored by the Corps in naming the Sniper School after him (if I recall correctly). The man was incredible and worthy of our admiration and the Medal of Honor. Makes me want to head butt the likes of the Michael Moores of the world.

Thanks for the visit and welcome to N&F, John. Perhaps you’re referring to the Military Channel – we have one in our area that regularly recycles stories like this among other tributes & biographies.

The school you mentioned is the Carlos Hathcock Sniper School that he founded in 1987 along with Michael Mack and Dan Lackey.

If you ever get to head butt Jabba the Glut Moore, give him one for me, please.

10. upaces88 says:

Are any of you old enough to remember Audie Murphy?
    On Jan. 26, 1945, near the village of Holtzwihr in eastern France, Lt. Murphy’s forward positions came under fierce attack by the Germans. Against the onslaught of six Panzer tanks and 250 infantrymen, Murphy ordered his men to fall back to better their defenses. Alone, he mounted an abandoned burning tank destroyer and, with a single machine gun, contested the enemy’s advance. Wounded in the leg during the heavy fire, Murphy remained there for nearly an hour, repelling the attack of German soldiers on three sides and single-handedly killing 50 of them. His courageous performance stalled the German advance and allowed him to lead his men in the counterattack which ultimately drove the enemy from Holtzwihr. For this Murphy was awarded the Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest award for gallantry in action.

By the war’s end, Murphy had become the nation’s most-decorated soldier, earning an unparalleled 28 medals, including three from France and one from Belgium. Murphy had been wounded three times during the war, yet, in May 1945, when victory was declared in Europe, he had still not reached his 21st birthday.

Continue: