Mother Mourns Ottawa Jihadi Maguire, Believed Killed in Syria

From Ottawa Citizen

The mother of John Maguire, a former Ottawa resident who was reportedly killed in Syria just a month after calling for attacks in Canada in an ISIL propaganda video, says the public can’t see past his image as a radicalized convert to Islam.

“Nobody gives a damn. They don’t,” said Patricia Earl late Wednesday. “They didn’t know this kid as a child. This is not the kid I raised. I’m going to leave it at that, OK?”

A pro-ISIL Twitter account claimed on Wednesday that Maguire, 24, had died near Kobani, a town on the Turkish border that ISIL has been struggling to capture from Western-backed Kurdish forces.

The online post used his alias, Abu Anwar Al-Canadi, and was accompanied by a photo of Maguire taken from a video in which he accused Canada of “waging war” against Muslims.

There was no official announcement from ISIL and deaths in Syria are almost impossible to verify, but two experts said there were indications the account that posted the “martyrdom” notice was credible.

They noted the Twitter user who posted it, who goes by Abu Saman, had a significant following among ISIL fighters and supporters, many of whom were prominent within the community.

The RCMP was investigating the claim on Wednesday. Last summer, pro-ISIL Twitter accounts had also claimed Farah Shirdon of Calgary had died, but he resurfaced weeks later, saying he was only injured.

CBC News was also reporting Wednesday that three cousins from Edmonton had died fighting for ISIL overseas.

The CBC story quotes Ahmed Hirsi as saying that his son Mahad, 20, was killed late last year, along with cousins Hamsa and Hersi Kariye.

Hundreds of ISIL fighters have been killed in air strikes by the U.S. and its allies around Kobani over the past few months, including many foreign fighters from Western countries.

“Any individual who decides to join the ISIL jihadists runs the risk of meeting their ultimate demise,” said Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney’s spokesman, Jean-Christophe de Le Rue.

He declined to comment on the Maguire case.

A native of Kemptville, Maguire grew up playing hockey and was the bassist in a punk rock band. But after moving to Ottawa, he converted to Islam and changed his name to “Yahya.”

His family was shocked when RCMP officers informed them he had gone to Syria. The government soon cancelled his passport so he could not return home to follow through on his hardline views.

From Syria and Iraq, he posted his violent ideas on a Facebook page that used the ISIL logo as a banner and called on Christians and Jews to either convert to Islam or be killed.

Hammad Raza, a University of Ottawa engineering student who met Maguire in the school’s prayer room in 2012, said the jihadist’s death is sad, but that he followed a “disgusting ideology” and became a violent criminal.

“There are so many innocent people he may have killed before getting killed,” Raza told the Citizen on Wednesday. “It’s really unfortunate that this happened.”

Raza said he feels guilty for not confronting Maguire on his extremism. He said he had offered the newly converted man his knowledge and guidance on Islam during their first meeting in the prayer room.

Raza also invited Maguire to his mosque for worship, but he instead prayed alone and rarely talked to anyone about his extremism.

On Facebook, however, Maguire often expressed his support of al-Qaida and other terrorist organizations using the first name Yahya, Raza said.

When Maguire changed his Facebook profile picture to that of Anwar al-Awlaki, an American Muslim who was killed by a U.S. drone strike in 2011, Raza deleted him from his list of friends.

“These people are like walking time bombs,” Raza said. “They can do anything at any time.”

Raza said the Muslim community in Canada has a duty to report any extremist behaviour to the RCMP without delay. The extremists, Raza says, are using their identity, name and religion to carry out violent attacks.

The six-minute video that ISIL released in December was a shocking reality-check for many Canadians, as Maguire threatened them in a familiar accent — a reminder of the dangers posed by radicalization.

In the video, Maguire said Canadians would be indiscriminately targeted and that Muslims were obliged to either join ISIL or “follow the example” of the attackers who struck in Ottawa and Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que., in October.

“You either pack your bags, or prepare your explosive devices. You either purchase your airline ticket, or you sharpen your knife,” he said. He added that “waging jihad” against the West was “a religious obligation binding upon every Muslim.”

That message has found little support in Canada. Although ISIL has attracted several dozen recruits, as well as young women wanting to become jihadist brides, Canada’s major Muslim organizations have denounced the terror group.

But following deadly attacks in Canada, Australia and Paris, and continued threats, Canadian counter-terrorism officials are closely tracking hundreds of suspects both at home and abroad.

On Friday, the RCMP arrested Ottawa twin brothers, Ashton and Carlos Larmond, both 24, who are allegedly linked to Maguire. A third suspect, Suliman Mohamed, was arrested Monday. All three face terrorism charges.

The Twitter user who claimed Maguire was dead said he had been killed alongside a notorious Dagestani jihadist who appeared this week in an ISIL video in which a child was shown executing two Russians.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It is true that we didn’t know this Maquire as a child but, that is a pretty mute point. We do know him as the young man who thought that fighting with the death merchants ( aka ISIS ) was a great idea! Threatening Canadians and calling other cult members to wage jihad on innocent Canadian citizens was the right thing to do.

No Mrs. Maguire….we don’t care what your son was like as a child…only what he was like as a grown man. There really are no good excuses as to why he became this way. It’s shocking though that you didn’t even know he had gone to Syria…the RCMP had to inform you! Exactly how close were you to your child? Perhaps he’s not the person you thought he was?

Yes….I know that children change as they grow up, but I can’t see how one could change so drastically. Not unless they already possessed such a loathing for other human beings and for life itself.

~Blessed B~

Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Mother Mourns Ottawa Jihadi Maguire, Believed Killed in Syria

He was a goooood boy !
    Did he have his “hands up” when he was blown away ?
    Tough shit, mama. We don’t care.

• Blessed B. says:

LOL! I don’t think he had his hand ups…. he was blown away…perhaps by the female Canadian sniper who likes doing butt shots. The last thing through maguire’s brain was his arsehole ! Would be fitting since his head was stuck up there!

T.F.B. As I stated earlier, did Allah hold a gun to the asshole’s head ? His mom wants sympathy from me, she will not get it. Just goes to show even a MOTHER doesn’t TRULY know her own children’s minds.

• Blessed B. says:

A mother usually knows a lot about their child if they take the time to really know their child and stay in touch. I don’t think this was the case here though.

Both my children and I have long talks about how they are feeling, what they think about things happening around them or out in the world. I can’t see right now how that could possibly change…..especially if we stay in contact even when they are out on their own. They get to have their own minds right now….. they will when they are older too. I just happen to know what is going through them.

I was brought up in a close family unit…..and we still are even though I live far away from them.

3. I.R. Wayright says:

“At least some of Canada’s major muslim groups have openly denounced the terror group.

~Blessed B~”

Remember, they speak with Mohammed’s forked tongue. Deceive the unbelievers.

• Blessed B. says:

I don’t think all speak with fork tongues…..there are some who came to Canada to get away from the BS that was happening in their countries. Folks like Tarek Fatah….who speaks out against the ideology of islam and has had fatwas put on his head for doing so.

Though I haven’t heard of any in the USA that have spoken out against islam…… perhaps it is different when one’s country is being led by one. ????

What he was as a child, under parents’ guidance, and what he was as an free-thinking adult are two entirely different things. We may not have known him as a kid, but she didn’t know him as an adult.

• Blessed B. says:

I don’t think the mom really knew this child of hers…like so many now a days who don’t have the time to really talk and get to know what their children are thinking. That’s someone else’s responsibility…they have a life to lead of their own.

Parenting is so much more than just making sure they have clothes to wear, the newest gizmo to play with, putting food in their bellies and a roof over their heads. Getting to really know your children takes work. You just can’t tell them what to think but have to know and understand that they have their own thoughts about things….and then take the time to find out what it is they are thinking without condemning them for it.

The “Do as I say” method works for such a short period of time. When they are out on their own then…you just might not even get to know what they are doing or thinking.

5. Liz entrekin says:

Ahreed Kathy. We as parents have a responsibility to provide until they reach an age where their own personality and decisions become an individual termed adult. From that point forward they are not our child but an adult in their own right. By our choices are we known and by our choices must we reap what we chose. It has been that way and always shall be unless parents never let go.

• Blessed B. says:

I think it starts long before they are adults….we have a responsibility as parents to let them make their own choices before they are adults, with guidance from the parents.

If they do not get the chance to make choices when under our care…they won’t make good choices when out on their own. They will have had no experience in thinking things through and deciding on what is best for them.

Letting them go doesn’t mean never having any contact with young adult children. It doesn’t seem to me that this mother even gave a phone call to see how everything was going with her son. Which to me is another dysfunction that is just as bad as never letting go. It’s not that she had to make his choices for him….. but I would think if they had been closer she would have known herself that something was not quite right.

6. Liz entrekin says:

By the way I would apologize for typing but would be doing so continuously. Sorry. Agreed

• Blessed B. says:

We don’t mind long comments 🙂 As long as you don’t mind typing them. Don’t even mind typo’s…sometimes the brain goes quicker than the fingers can type. 🙂

7. shycommentor says:

Thank you, Blessed B., As adults we have to take responsibility for our actions. I love my children very much. I may have said this before, As a mother , I raised my children the best I could. After watching William Smith’s interview with Barbara Walters she said, “You didn’t take drugs as a teenager, why is that?”
    “My father made it so there was No peer pressure. He said, ‘If you ever do drugs or get in trouble, I’m gonna kill you’. I knew he meant He was going to kill me. So there Was No peer pressure. No at all.”
    I told my children, “While you are living here you will go to church, you will become a good citizen of this country, this way you can go to a good school, and get a great job. If you ever go to jail, you beg that judge to keep you there, because when you get out, it will be worse than jail.”
    My children were not perfect, they still fought. Drove me nuts. Half served the Military, the other half served Ministries.
    Protect yourself, protect your reputation, respect yourself.
    In my later teenage years, I was raised in a drughouse. My mother died at 35 (?). I refused to have my children alcoholics or druggies. I had a lot of parents say, I was too hard on my children. Really? Except for 1 of them, they are over 30, if they screwed up and did something stupid as muslim , I would say, “Don’t look at me, I was there for them, but this is their adult choice, not mine, I don’t know them.”
    I realize they still my need guidence, I’ll help, but like someone said, “If they do that, they lose their citizenship.” For me it’s a lot more.

• Blessed B. says:

You’re welcome Shy. 🙂

I see you as being there for your children. Making sure they were raised with your values. Your children then served in the Military or Served the Lord….both fine careers indeed. Without your guidance and input they would have faired much worse.

Many parents though allow others to raise their children and don’t put any time into instilling the values that are needed to have their children turn out to be fine, upstanding citizens.

When we fail as parents in this regard, we can’t expect our children to make the good choices.

Even though you were raised in your later teen years in a drughouse…. it was your younger formative years that helped you to not fall into the same situation and to make better choices.

I don’t think you were too hard on your children at all! I was always more worried about what my parents would say or do if I ever had the cops bring me home or I got into trouble for something. So….. I never made choices that would lead me into trouble. If my friends wanted to do something that we could all get into big trouble over…..I let them do it and I walked home. My friends were stealing candy one time from a small convenience store…..when I noticed this….I put my candy, I was going to purchase back and I walked out and walked home. I was always told “birds of a feather stick together”….and this bird wasn’t going to be having anyone else’s problems hung around her neck!

8. Garnet92 says:

His mama says we didn’t know him, but she obviously didn’t know him as an adult (as Kathy said).

All too often, we hear a mother lamenting that her child wasn’t really the murderer that shot that infant between the eyes, “he was a good boy, on his way to Sunday School when that infant jumped him.” Some bad kids grow up to be saints, some good kids turn bad – that’s just the way it is. John McGuire made bad choices and now he died for them – that’s just the way it is – some might say Karma.

• Blessed B. says:

Yep…. he made bad choices and died for them. Lived by the sword and died by the sword.

I don’t think his mama ever really knew him…. but she does now, right along with the rest of us.