Quote Of The Day — January 8, 2015

“I think we’ve been through a period where too many people have been given to understand that if they have a problem, it’s the government’s job to cope with it. ‘I have a problem, I’ll get a grant.’ ‘I’m homeless, the government must house me.’ They’re casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It’s our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour. People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There’s no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation.”

Margaret Thatcher, Born – October 13, 1925 – Died April 08, 2013

~ ~ Grouchy ~ ~

Tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Quote Of The Day — January 8, 2015

1. Stinger says:

WOW!!!! What a woman. Where have all the flowers gone? I should have listened a little closer to her instead of keeping my nose to the grindstone making my fortune.

• Grouchy says:

G’Morning, Stinger, and it’s good to see you~!
      The problem with making one’s fortune in today’s world is that the governments figure out all sorts of ways to spread your wealth to those who have very broad bottoms and T.V. eyes~!

Mrs. Thatcher, along with Ronaldus Magnus, had it exactly right. Too bad they were routinely impugned and ridiculed for it. What a mess they would be witnessing today. Good find, GF.

• Grouchy says:

Thanks, Clyde.
      I wonder what FDR, Truman, Kennedy, Churchill, Thatcher, Reagan, to say nothing of the Founding Fathers, are thinking??? Were their efforts only stop-gap measures to stave off the inevitable???
      Oy, VEY~!

3. upaces88 says:

Something easily given or won is never valued.

• Grouchy says:

Sadly, how true. Maybe the Founding Fathers realized that, when Thomas Jefferson wrote,

” The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”

Thomas Jefferson

Great quote, Grouchy. Mrs. Thatcher was a brilliant woman and deserves more credit than she receives.

• Grouchy says:

Thank You, CW,,, and you’re so right. She, and there are at least two others like her, that have been demeaned and castigated without cause.
      Given the chance I’m sure that either Sarah Palin or Michele Bachmann would rise to the stature of Ms. Thatcher. But I’m prejudiced toward strength and ability.

5. Pingback: My Article Read (1-7-2015) (1-8-2015) | My Daily Musing