Gohmert to Challenge Boehner for House Speaker Post

From Fox News:

U.S. Representative Louie Gohmert leaves a Republican caucus meeting on Capitol Hill in Washington

Texas Rep. Louie Gohmert said Sunday that he will challenge House Speaker John Boehner for his post when Congress returns this week to Washington.

Gohmert, among the House Republican caucus’ most conservative members, made the announcement on “Fox and Friends,” saying he decided to run after Rep. Ted Yoho, R-Fla., said Saturday that he would challenge Boehner for the chamber’s top post.

“We have heard from a lot of Republicans that said, ‘I would vote for somebody besides speaker Boehner.’ But nobody will put their name out there,” Gohmert said. “That changed yesterday with Ted Yoho.”

Gohmert also hinted that another House member will announce a challenge to Boehner on Sunday.

Boehner once again returns to Capitol Hill amid challenges to keep his post, largely from the conservative members who most recently say he caved in by agreeing last month to a $1.1 trillion temporary federal spending bill, which averted another partial government shutdown.

Group members complained in part because they think Boehner did not try to punish President Obama enough for sidestepping Congress on immigration reform.

“After the November elections gave Republicans control of the Senate, voters made clear they wanted change,” Gohmert also said Sunday. “There have been numerous examples of problematic Republican leadership, but we were hopeful our leaders got the voters’ message. However, after our speaker forced through the CR omnibus by passing it with Democratic votes and without time to read it, it seemed clear that we needed new leadership. There had been much discussion. But, until yesterday, no one had stepped up.”

Gohmert, during an appearance on Fox News’ “Hannity” on Friday, said his party must use its power in the House to defund President Obama’s immigration plan as well as Obamacare. He also said the GOP must stop excessive government regulation, citing the Keystone pipeline.

~~~~~~~~~

Can I get a hallelujah and an amen?? Although it’s certainly not a given, it’s good to see one of the more conservative Reps challenge Boehner. I think this says Gohmert cares more about the people than the chances of being snubbed for committee positions. Now that several reps have stepped up, maybe Boehner will get the message.

Gohmert is right – we need new leadership. It’s high time someone challenged O’s water boy.

~Kathy. Looking forward to Tuesday.

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Gohmert to Challenge Boehner for House Speaker Post

1. 219rad says:

I think the rest of us need to step up and let our Congresspeople know we want Bonehead out of there. There is still time to contact the folks who will be voting.

We cannot hammer home enough to these clucks the absolute necessity of removing Boehner. The dam has a small hole in it, let’s hope it busts wide open by Tuesday. Gohmert, Yoho, hell, the first 100 people in the Podunk Junction phone book would be light years better than Ol’ Weepy, our Asshat Of The Year for 2014.

3. Hallelujah and amen and praise the Lord 😉

4. I.R. Wayright says:

Louie G would be the best possible choice. We need Trey Gowdy riding hard on the judiciary front.

• Kathy says:

Agreed, IR, but then almost anyone would do a better job than Bonehead. I’d like to see Gowdy in there too, but he’s awfully good where he is and I’d hate to see him lose momentum in that area.

Please, Lord, let this happen for Our Country. I promise not to ask for anything else….Oh, except for that little Obama, Pelosi, Holder, Reid, Sharpton, Jarrett, Soros, McCain,and McConnell thingy we spoke about earlier.

AMEN

I just received this note from the Tea Party Patriots :
    _____________________________________________

“To voice your support for either Yoho or Gohmert, please contact your U.S. Representative and demand a vote for one of them. Please remind your Representative that every vote for any living person other than John Boehner – whether for Rep. Yoho, or for Rep. Gohmert, or for anyone else, for that matter – helps us achieve the goal of ending the establishment’s reign in DC.

If your Representative in Congress is a Republican, please let him or her hear from you tomorrow. You can reach him or her by calling 1 (855) 398-4323, tell them to vote for either Rep. Yoho or Rep. Gohmert for Speaker of the House!

It is critical that Republican Members of Congress hear from us starting first thing tomorrow morning!”

• Saltwater says:

There are reports of switchboard overload with incoming calls. If you cannot get through to DC, call the local office of your Representatives and tell them to vote for anybody but Boehner – but for all that is holy VOTE.

The rules require that a Speaker be elected by majority of ALL votes cast for “a person”. (Voting “Present” or not voting lowers that threshold – giving Dem votes more weight. Heaven forbid Pelosi backing into a win because jello balled GOP Reps are afraid to stand up.)

Failing to elect a Speaker by majority on full House vote, the decision is left to the majority conference. This is where the real change will happen.

No Dems will vote for Crybaby, so the magic number is only 59 republicans voting to replace Boehner to end his reign of wusshood. Make sure Representative understands it is time to turn the page on the old way of business.

Hint: Emails are also good, but readily deleted in bulk – a FAX on the other hand, spits out a hard copy, and is not so easily ignored.

I love it that Rep. Gohmert is challenging Bonehead but the fix is already in. Short of a few million calls by citizens to the number Terry provided then Bonehead will get the nod again.

I thought the fix was in too, Hardnox, but after seeing the activity from yesterday and today, I’m not so sure. There are more people paying attention to this than I expected to see. Some of the apathy has been replaced with anger at Boehner, so there’s still a slim chance we could pull this off.

So far the list of Congressmen who have stated they’re not voting for Boehner includes Gohmert, Yoho, Bridenstine, Walter Jones, Massie, Dave Brat, Marlin Stutzman, and Steve King. There may be more, but those are the ones I can remember.

• Saltwater says:

Add Paul Gosar (AZ-CD4) with this Facebook post:

Let’s Be Bold
      The people have spoken. Two historic wave elections make clear: no more status quo. People want less government, lowered spending, lower taxes, more freedom and secure borders. And they want us to stop Obama from wrecking this great nation.
      I will be supporting my colleagues Mr. Gohmert and Mr. Yoho in the quest for a bold leadership path.

I am still awaiting response from my Rep, Trent Franks (AZ-CD8).

• Saltwater says:

I see you added Reps Gosar, Brat,and Stutzman after your initial comment. Let us hope you spend a great deal of time adding more names.

• Kathy says:

I hope so too Salty, but if you see more, please add them. I don’t hold out much hope for my rep, Mike Conoway, as he’s too busy bragging about rodeo college,etc. but I contacted his office anyway, and will again.

• Kathy says:

It looks like we may have one more, although it’s a bit vague and this guy seems to be newly elected. Maybe that’s in our favor, I dunno. He’s Mark Walker from NC and has never held office before.