Quote Of The Day — December 27, 2014

They won’t listen. Do you know why? Because they have certain fixed notions about the past. Any change would be blasphemy in their eyes, even if it were the truth. They don’t want the truth; they want their traditions.”

Isaac Asimov, (January 2, 1920 – April 6, 1992) Pebble in the Sky

~ ~ Grouchy ~ ~

Tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Quote Of The Day — December 27, 2014

THAT is one of the most ripe for comment quotes this year !

“They don’t want the truth; they want their traditions.”

There’s truth in that statement. My husband calls them “precious prejudices,” and we all have them. I would be impressed if it weren’t for the fact that Asimov was a “staunch supporter of the Democratic Party” and a “political liberal” (Wikipedia) and can therefore be assumed to have been conveniently flexible when it came to his reverence for the truth.

• Grouchy says:

Asimov was a different kind of writer and person than either Heinlein or Bradbury. He was also a flaming atheist. THAT SAID, even so, he could come up with some social gems, as well as scientific ones.
      I’ll post a comment next round, that will exemplify my statement.
      I Like your husband’s classification, “Precious Prejudices”. Those are what we’re in conflict with in today’s society, IN ADDITION TO the flaming racial agitators.

3. Pingback: My Article Read (12-27-2014) | My Daily Musing

4. vonmesser says:

Dr A was an interesting man, with a lot of interesting thoughts and concepts. I didn’t particularly like him (enjoyed most of his books tho), but he made one think.

• Grouchy says:

That is the exact reason I chose him for quotes, VM – His grasp of concepts, and the ability to really make one think. And as for his personality???
      I’ll stay with his science.

• vonmesser says:

I met him, and a number of other “greats” at various science fiction conventions. My had a long conversation with him in an elevator at World Con in 1972, and Poul and Karen Anderson were at my wedding.