Trey Gowdy Not Interested in Being Speaker

From TeaParty.org:

Trey Gowdy 2

A Tea Party group wants Rep. Trey Gowdy to challenge John Boehner for the Speaker’s gavel. A fellow Republican says Gowdy would certainly have his support.

But the conservative South Carolina Republican says he has no interest in becoming Speaker when lawmakers cast their vote on the House floor next month.

“Rep. Gowdy has said his time and attention will continue to be devoted to the work assigned to him,” said Gowdy’s spokeswoman, Amanda Duvall. “He is not interested in any leadership positions and believes one can have influence without the title.”

This past spring, Boehner (R-Ohio) appointed Gowdy as chairman of the special House committee that’s investigating the 2012 terrorist attacks in Benghazi, Libya. And Boehner recently said Gowdy would remain in that high-profile post in the 114th Congress as well.

Still, that hasn’t soothed the Tea Party Leadership Fund, which launched an online campaign to draft Gowdy for Speaker.

“The American people are desperately looking for leadership to reverse the disastrous course Barack Obama and the Democrats have plunged our country down,” one of the group’s leaders, Rusty Humphries, said in a fundraising email this week. “We need Speaker of the House Trey Gowdy.”

Rep. Walter Jones (R-N.C.), an outspoken Boehner critic, said in a local radio interview he didn’t think Gowdy would be willing to take on Boehner, but added: “If he offered himself, I would be willing to support him.”

After the November midterms, House Republicans huddled behind closed doors and voted to give Boehner another two years as Speaker. But he faces one more test on Jan. 6, when all members must call out their choice for Speaker on the House floor.

In the radio interview, which was flagged by BuzzFeed, Jones said a group of 16 to 18 House Republicans were plotting to oust Boehner during the public floor vote. But with Boehner’s historic 247-seat majority next year, his detractors will need at least 30 votes to force a second ballot.

“We’re gonna have a conference call the week after Christmas with our little group to see where we are,” Jones said.

~~~~~~~~~

This is sad news, as Boehner needs to go, and Trey Gowdy is badly needed. History tells us that General George Washington didn’t want to lead the revolution, but he felt the call and so put on the uniform. Perhaps Gowdy just needs some convincing.

The results of the upcoming conference call will be interesting and possibly historic. Maybe there’s another strong conservative willing to take the job….or nudge Gowdy in the right direction. Americans and God knows we need to flip a switch somewhere and get government out of its O coma.

We need a shake-up in the worst way right now.

~Kathy

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Trey Gowdy Not Interested in Being Speaker

That’s too bad. He would make a great speaker. Or anything else.
    Speaking of the Benghazi hearings….what’s up with them ?

• Kathy says:

Sadly, people are losing interest in the issue, as is the case when these things drag out so long. There have been a couple of segments aired on C-span, but nothing on the majors that I’ve seen.

Most of what they’ve done has not been publicized and Gowdy is moving slowly and cautiously. If I remember correctly, things are going to ramp up in January – he’s just waiting to get past the holidays when things settle down.

• upaces88 says:

First thought I had….”What is the news BEHIND that news”?

Gowdy as Speaker would be the answer to our dreams. Gee.. we might even get a representative government in return. What a concept.

There’s no way Gowdy would get the nod given how many RINOs are in place. Gowdy would rock the boat too hard.

I don’t doubt for a second that he’ll be quiet. He understands his job and why he was sent to DC.

• Kathy says:

Gowdy would be great, and the RINOS are definitely the problem, as they are in all areas.

Call me overly optimistic, but I still hold out a tiny hope that he’s just paying lip-service to the requests. Saying he’s not interested is the natural or polite answer to give at this point in time. On the other hand, Gowdy’s one of the most forthright and sincere guys we’ve seen in a long time.

3. captbogus2 says:

I think Gowdy is right. He has a mission and SoH would not allow him to fulfill that role.
    But
    We will see, come January, if there were conservatives or ‘summer patriot’ fair weather conservatives elected by the people.
    The word is out if you vote against Boehner you will get no chair and no committee.
    We’ll see. We’ll see.

• Kathy says:

I am also very curious to see what happens in January, or even in February since it will take them a while to settle in. Will they be Boehner’s doormats or the change-makers we need?

Boehner seems to have learned his strong-arm tactics quite well from his buddy O.

4. Grouchy says:

IF not Gowdy, what about Rep Jim Bridenstine of Oklahoma? From what I’ve seen, and I’ll admit it’s not much, but he has impressed me with his vigor and patriotism.
    And NO, I don’t want Darrell Issa – He, too, has too important a task, where he is, and while he could be stronger, there’s no one else that would do as well as he has. Gowdy excepted, of course.

• Kathy says:

I’m not too familiar with Bridenstine either, but I do remember that he’s the rep who couldn’t get past security at Ft. Sill when they had all those illegals holed up there.

He caused a big stink about that, so he’d probably make a great Speaker too. Just about anyone would be better than Bonehead.

5. Rich B says:

Gowdy has a great future. I look to hear much much more from him in the years to come. Unless I’m a terrible judge of character he’s one of the few politicians in congress I actually trust. He’s still young and he’s getting better. I see something National for Trey in the next decade or so. And I’m talking about a very very high office. I felt the same way about Marco Rubio a few years back but his waffling on immigration has pissed me off. Gowdy takes a position and stands his ground. Just what America needs and sorely lacks – it’s called integrity and leadership.

• Hardnox says:

Rich, I know a buddy of his and he tells me he’s the real deal… what you see is what you get. He’s also nobody to screw with as he is his own man. It drives the leadership insane.

• Rich B says:

I can see Boehner now breaking out an X-Large hankie or a case of Kleenex and weeping profusely as I type when it comes to Trey Gowdy and the Benghazi hearings. Trey may actually dig up some dirt that crybaby John doesn’t want exposed. I eagerly await the next session of congress when all the new people are sworn in and the hearings resume.

I can’t believe we can’t come up with a better House Majority leader than Boehner with all the true conservatives in the House, especially after the American people made their wishes known in the mid-terms. And Mcconnel in the Senate is a loser too. Are we gonna be sold out again? I just don’t know with the leadership we still have in congress.

I always think of Pete Townsend and the great lyrics from the Who song “We Won’t Get Fooled Again” when these leaders come to mind. It’s still relevant and fresh.
        “Meet the new boss, same as the old boss”

While I’d LOVE to see Gowdy as Speaker, I have to agree with Buck. Now, there IS a bright young guy from Michigan, Rep. Justin Amash, that I believe would not kow-tow to the RINO’s, but he has about as much chance at becoming Speaker as I do.

• Kathy says:

I hear ya, Clyde, it’s doubtful we’ll see anyone new in that spot – not with all the threats we’re hearing that are getting tossed around.

Gowdy would be great but it may be best in the long run if he doesn’t tarnish his image by becoming Speaker and saddling himself with the taint of ugly compromise that goes with it. We may need him unscathed to answer a higher calling some day.

• Kathy says:

That ‘higher calling’ would be even better than the Speaker position, but I’d like to see it as a stepping stone rather than a choice. Wrong country for that, ya think?