Eternal Peace

December 7, 1941. Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.

pearl harbor

Our own Clyde gave us a somber reminder of that day with his posting of “A Day Which Will Live In Infamy “.

But what of the brave men and women who survived that horrific attack ?

Arguably, the most well known of the ships lost that day was the USS Arizona. Many of the crew survived. Most went on to serve gallantly in battles to come. But they still feel a comradeship with those that perished.

Interment aboard the USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor results in Eternal Peace for a select few Navy Veterans that served on the ship and survived the attack by the Japanese. Upon their passing these men have requested to be returned to the USS Arizona so they can lie in peace with their shipmates for eternity.

To all of these sailors, and to the ones who perished that day, THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU.

~Terry

Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Eternal Peace

Excellent find for today, Terry. I stood before that wall, and looked down into the water at the remains of the ship, the emotions are just indescribable. Thanks for posting this.

2. captbogus2 says:

A side note. In 1961 Elvis Presley gave a concert in Honolulu and donated all the proceeds to the Arizona Memorial fund.

3. vonMesser says:

My father missed Pearl. He was a 3rd class Gunner’s Mate on the USS Fanning (DD385), and they pulled in at 1205 the afternoon of December 7, 1941. They engaged three Japanese aircraft earlier that morning and shot down one of them. At the time they did not know that Pearl Harbour was under attack, just that Jap planes were shooting at them.

• Terry says:

Now THAT was a close call.
      SALUTE to your Dad and the crew of the USS Fanning.

• upaces88 says:

OM LORD! Your family is part of our history of WWII!!

• vonMesser says:

Most everybody’s family was part of our history of WW-2. Mine on both sides.

My mother was a WAVE stationed in Camp Elliott. She got called into the camp commandant’s office one day and was told Shore Patrol was here to escort her to the train in San Diego. here are your orders. Your seabag will be packed and sent to you.

About a week after she got to her new duty station in New York, her seabag arrived along with a nice personal letter from the camp commandant. The letter explained that her quick transfer was because her second cousin had reported to Camp Elliott. He was a Major in the Afrika Korps, and was there as a POW.

(about 200 of my relatives died in the konzentrationlaager)

4. upaces88 says:

I didn’t know this until later in life when My Mother told me that my Dad guarded German Prisoners in Oklahoma!!!

Can’t believe I missed this – such a beautiful memorial and the video is a great tour for those of us who haven’t been there. Good stuff, Terry.

6. GunnyG says:

Good post. We must never forget.