Today’s Trivia ~~ 2/19/2014

In honor of the Olympics, we will have a 2 part question today.

The 1st player with both correct answers will receive :

The 5th Ring That Was Absent From The Opening Ceremony !

olympic rings

Runner Ups will be excused from watching the closing ceremony.

As usual, there is NO FEE to enter (except Mrs. AL, who will send the rules committee 1 dozen cookies WITH CHIPS). Good Luck !

~Terry

trivia

Question 1:

What Is The Olympic Motto?

A. Run, Jump, Win

B. Faster, Higher, Stronger

C. Courage, Grace, Strength

D. Honor, Bravery, Integrity

Question 2:

How much money does an American athlete earn from the U.S. Olympic Committee for winning a gold medal in the Olympics?

A.  $5,000

B. $25,000

C. $ 50,000

D $0

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Today’s Trivia ~~ 2/19/2014

The fifth ring? Much better than the last prize.

Question #1 – is B, faster, higher, stronger

Question # 2 – is D – zero dollars. In fact the USA gold winners have to pay tax on the medal(s) they receive, if I remember correctly.

2. 219rad says:

I heard that a few of the gold winners will take their medals back to their countries to have them bronzed.

Question One: We. Love. Obama. Question Two. Nothing. Obama will get it all through the IRS.

I’m guessing Kathy got it right but I have to tell you that I had a brief scare when I tried to read too quickly (it’s a bad habit I have) and I misread what you wrote. When you said:

“Runner Ups will be excused….”

I read it as:

“Runner Ups will be executed…”

Before I read it again I was thinking, “Gee, that’s kind of harsh.”

5. Blessed B. says:

Okay… it’s B… Faster, Higher, stronger and the second one is D…zilch. zero, da Nada, El zippo….

6. tannngl says:

#1. C Courage, grace and strength
    Who knows? I like this one best.

#2. I think it’s $0 too. The gold medal is the prize. And the US taxes it.

7. vonmesser says:

Do you know how the Olympics got their name?

Way back in ancient Greece, they played their games in the nude, and women were not allowed to participate or even watch.

About 500BC the Athenians decided to allow women to observe the sports.

Because of this, they put saltpeter in the athletes food so they wouldn’t embarrass themselves in front of the women.

As the athletes paraded around the ring, one of the women was heard to loudly exclaim: “Oh, limp pricks”.

And thus the Grecian games became the Oh Limp Pricks, which was changed to Olympics over time as pronunciations shifted.

8. Saltwater says:

Faster, higher, stronger? Isn’t that from “The Six Million Dollar Man” intro?

9. white531 says:

I just have a simple question. Probably any of you can answer it. Does this site ever have an open thread for general discussion? Or is it restricted to simply commenting on posts made by others?

10. Mrs AL says:

OBJECTION ! I object muchly. I prepared the cookies and submitted them to the committee but can’t get a pic of the Chipful cookie to post here as proof.

So now what do I do. I can’t guess the answers yet.

What a bite in the shorts.

DISCRIMINATION. it’s discrimination I tell ya’ !

My answers:
    B. Faster, Higher, Stronger
    D $0

12. Mrs AL says:

Motto: none of them. It was written in Latin, wasn’t it? Or was it Greek?

Monies earned: $0 from the Olympic Committee itself

Thanx for accepting personal references. If I win can I be returned to normal status and play for free?????

TIME’S UP !

Here are the correct answers :

Answer # 1: B
    The Olympic motto is made up of three Latin words: Citius, Altius, Fortius, which is Latin for “Faster, Higher, Stronger.” The motto was proposed by Pierre de Coubertin on the creation of the International Olympic Committee in 1894. Coubertin borrowed it from his friend Henri Didon, a Dominican priest who, amongst other things, was an athletics enthusiast. Coubertin said “These three words represent a programme of moral beauty. The aesthetics of sport are intangible.” The motto was introduced in 1924 at the Olympic Games in Paris.

Answer #2 B:
    The U.S. Olympic Committee pays out a $25,000 bonus per gold medal, $15,000 for silver and $10,000 for bronze. The money does not come from the U.S. government. The U.S. Olympic Committee gets its money from the sale of broadcast rights, licensing and trademark income, and corporate sponsorships. Those bonuses pale in comparison to some other nations – Russia pays $114,000 for a gold, and Kazakhstan leads the list with a $250,000 gold medal bonus.

No winners today. Bummer.
    I get to keep the 5th ring, and thankfully miss the closing ceremony !