Mike Huckabee’s Take on the Term RINO

From the Washington Examiner

Mike Huckabee wants to ban the term ‘RINO’

By CHARLIE SPIERING   JANUARY 14, 2014

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee wants to ban the term “RINO” — “Republican in Name Only” — in the Republican Party.

The former governor complained in a letter to supporters that during a recent social media outreach, he was disturbed that too many Republicans were attacking each other and calling them names.

“Many of you used a term that I’d like to see outlawed from the vernacular of the party: RINO,” he said, calling it a “pejorative term” that questioned one’s purity.

Huckabee pointed out that he got a tweet from someone who complained that he was a RINO, which upset him.

“With all due respect, I’ve fought in the trenches of Republican politics for over two decades, but I wouldn’t pretend that I’m lord over determining who the real Republicans are versus the so-called RINOs,” he said.

Huckabee reminded his readers that Jesus once said that “a house divided against itself cannot stand,” referring to the Gospel of Matthew.

The possible 2016 Republican presidential hopeful concluded his essay with a folksy proverb.

“I’d rather have a loyal dog who licks me than one with a pedigree who bites me,” he added. “I’d rather go to battle with someone who isn’t perfect than with someone who thinks he is.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think this call to ‘ban a term’ is troubling.

First, it is impossible to achieve.

Second, until Republicans can come to a meeting of the minds relative to what it means to be a Republican, differences amongst Republicans are going to be the focus.

Finally, I sometimes hear someone say, ‘there is a battle for the heart/soul of the Republican Party.  Indeed there is and until that is discussed openly and honestly, nothing will change and the Republican Party will simply fade away.

I’ve said enough.

What is your take on this article?

Mrs AL

Hat tip 4 to Hardnox

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Mike Huckabee’s Take on the Term RINO

It’s obvious that Huckabee is full blown RINO now with a statement like that. He calls for reconciliation within the republican party but he offers no advice for the establishment to embrace Conservatives.

Identifying who or who is not a RINO is simple. One needs only to review the republican platform and measure any member against it.

Goldwater had the same battle in 1964. Ditto with Reagan beginning in 1976. Both were proven right in the end despite however the establishment wants to shine it.

• How is Huckabee a RINO? Just for saying he doesn’t like the word RINO? I’m sorry, but I’ve read both of his books, and I agree very much with him. He is a firm supporter of family values, fair tax legislation, pro-gun, anti-abortion and he can’t stand liberals. I believe he should have won the Republican primaries in 2008 when he was state governor of Arkansas.

• Mrs AL says:

Assuming the role of contrarian: Would not ‘reconciliation’ increase the likelihood of R majorities in both the Senate and the House? And would that not be better than a democrat majority in either/both?

Your comments are muchly appreciate, Hardnox.

• Hardnox says:

Anything would be better than than the left having control BUT remember when GWB had both Houses? They didn’t do anything other than increase the size of government because most of them were RINOs. The R’s simply promised free stuff with the hope of garnering votes from the lemmings. They were rewarded by losing both Houses.

Huckabee touts himself as a conservative but he vilifies conservatives for speaking honestly about progressives within his own party. How is that conservative. If he was then he should be calling out the progressives much like Lee, Cruz, Paul, Gowdy, and others.

Huckabee is eyeing 2016 and he is building bridges with the establishment using conservatives as fodder.

• Mrs AL says:

I appreciate your feed-back to my query, Hardnox.

Would it be possible for you to hold your nose for this years election in order to at least secure a R majority in both legislative chambers? After that, of course, drawing the line in the red sand if the R’s want conservative support for 2016.

• Hardnox says:

Absolutely! I want the R’s to have the ability to hamstring Zero. I want the R’s to impeach his ass. I want the R’s to file charges against the hildabeast. I also realize that I am dreaming.

“Mike Huckabee wants to ban the term ‘RINO’”

I’ll bet he does.

“Loyal dogs” is apparently Huckabee’s nice way of referring to the old boys’ club members that prop up each other while sacrificing the party that’s supposed to be a vehicle for conservative principles. And yes, it’s used as a pejorative because that’s exactly what it’s meant to be.

Someone should ask Huckabee what’s the point of being a “loyal dog” if the dog can’t remember what it is he’s supposed to be loyal to.

• Mrs AL says:

Good commentary, CW!

Dogs are astute. They can smell whether they want anything to do with you. And I can smell a liberal from a mile away. So ok, I may be a dog.

We call it like we see it. Rather than admonish us, he should advise the RINOs to stop acting as such and get back to their conservative roots.

• Mrs AL says:

YES ! How many in the RNC have actually called for the end of the sniping at conservative/Tea Party members of congress, etc.

Good one, Kathy.

4. Buck says:

He’s just confirmed what I’ve thought all along.

On a side note, I have never trusted preachers that turned politician.

• Mrs AL says:

And why is that, Hardnox? I am sure you are not alone in your opinion.

• Hardnox says:

To start with, in my experience I have found many clerics to be hypocrites and predatory. Yes, there are exceptions but I haven’t seen any yet.

Secondly, those that choose politics usually resort to invoking religion to further their narrative. I find that narrative hollow and insincere. Let’s take the Jesse and Al show for example. They claim to be ministers but have yet to show any evidence of Christian values in their mission for self enrichment. Those two are not alone.

Ditto with Huckabee. When he was up against Romney in the primaries in ’08 he was losing some ground to him. Then he took the cheap shot route by claiming that Mormonism wasn’t real Christianity in the hope of pulling Evangelicals away from Romney. Up to that point I liked Huckabee. He is nothing more than Al or Jesse when it boils right down to it. They all invoke Jesus when it suits their mission.

I have seen the same in local politics for County Board of Supervisors when preachers run for office. Same crap different day.

Getting back to Huck. He needs only to run on his conservative record (which is slim) to garner support. Leave religion out of the narrative.

My 2 cents.

6. garnet92 says:

Personally, I’ve never trusted Huckabee. I don’t like his looks (he reminds me of Richard Nixon) and I don’t like his voice. That said, I have thought him to be a real conservative and I’m disappointed to see him try to remove RINO from use. I think that the only reason for that is to warm up to the RINOs in preparation for a run at the nomination. I don’t believe he stands a chance for that.

• Mrs AL says:

My suspicion, Garnet, is that he wants to make a run in order to be able to have a platform from which to speak and be heard. I happen to be one who watches his show on Fox when certain guests are on. And when I do agree with him, he turns a good phrase.

Huckabee reminds me of Marco Rubio. At first I liked him, but the more he talked, the less conservative he sounded and the less I liked him. The shine really started to wear off when I followed his actions.

I hate voting with this attitude, but Huckabee would be the lesser of two evils for me. I think we can do better, and we have to if we intend to beat The Beast.

• Mrs AL says:

Me thinks, Kathy, that we are going to be stuck with the lesser of two evils any way. I just hope the one I vote for at least has a heart and at least three active brain cells that orbit in the frontal lobe.

Piss on Huckabee, AND the RNC. Time to make RINO’S EXTINCT. Bastards. We heard this SAME shit in ’08, with McCain, Romney in ’12, and it is starting early for ’16. Christie, Huck, whom the hell ever, I will NEVER vote for a RINO, regardless. My vote is ALL I have left. Why waste it on assholes who despise ME worse than ANY democrat ? Y’all can vote for the lesser of two evils if you wish, but until the French Republicans stop taking advantage of US, like the damned democrats do with fags, students, illegals, blacks, name the constituency, we will CONTINUE to get assholes like the above-mentioned. Count me out.

• Mrs AL says:

Thanx for weighing in, Clyde. Your comments are blunt as always!! Appreciate that. There is a part of me that wants to check out also. But only a part of me.

9. Buck says:

Clyde and The ‘Nox pretty well summed it up en toto….

10. vonmesser says:

Words have meanings. RINO doesn’t, I think, because just who determines what “republican” or (Republican) actually means is open to debate. Liberal/left thinking people who have too much integrity to be Democrats can be republicans, so can extreme “right-wingers” who think Rush Limbaugh is a commie-pinko. I believe we need some “real” words and terms to determine exactly where a person stands, and then decide if they fit into the greater circle the defines Republicanism. I have seen a few models of this – the best being a modification of the Pournelle Political Axis, which creates an X-Y axis grid.

But – until there is clarification of exactly what a Republican (large R) is, RINO is just name calling.

• I would kind of agree with you, vonmesser, about the “real” words and terms. Such as social conservative, libertarian, classical liberal (though all three words are pretty much the same). But RINO is not what I would call “name-calling”. I would define a Republican by comparing their ideals and actions to the “official” Republican Party platform, and if they’re pretty much in line with the platform, then they’re a real Republican. But if they’re not, then they’re a RINO. It’s that simple.

• Mrs AL says:

Words do indeed have meaning, vonmesser. As you know, “RINO” is an acronym. And I appreciate your opinion that “RINO” is name calling. However, the term does have specific meaning to those who use it.

Finally, perhaps you might offer your perception of what a Republican actually is. Frankly, it has gotten fuzzy for yours truly over the years.

11. garnet92 says:

Unfortunately, in today’s environment, people want to make up their own definition of what a word means, so unless a word’s meaning is agreed to beforehand, you can’t be assured that the listener got the picture that the speaker was trying to paint. In the absence of common definitions, I use the term RINO as a pejorative – having a negative connotation – in other words, it ain’t good. And I’m damn sure not going to quit using it because Mike Huckabee wants me to. He’s ok, I guess we could do worse, but he is waaay down on my list of preferred candidates.

12. I.R. Wayright says:

We need a real bull dog to be the next president. Someone not afraid to call things as he sees them and to hell with political correctness. Someone would who make our enemies quake in their boots. A leader the military folks would be proud of. I can think of very few who would meet the requirements and until I learn more, I will keep my eye on Ted Cruz and Allen West. IMHO, although Huckabee is likable I perceive his freindly demeanor to be a shortcoming in a ruthless political world. I feel he would be sliced and diced quickly by the MSM. The opposition is a well oiled. well financed, meat grinding machine. Only the toughest will survive the coming political holocaust.

• Mrs AL says:

I.R., could not agree more! Bulldog is exactly what we need! As for Huckabee, he can hold his own in this rough and tumble environment. I just oppose his perception that ‘big government’ is a positive in certain areas.

In addition to the qualities you cited, I would add that we need someone who is able to display humor even in the most difficult circumstances. Humor is a survival tool.

I think RINO Mike should be more concerned with the usage of the term “Teabaggers” as a negative..
    We ‘baggers’ are the only hope for Our Country right now.

I thought you might be interested in hearing what Mark Levin had to say about this.

One of the commenters said: “A skunk can be called something else, but it doesn’t alter the fact that it would still stink.”

I like that one!