Saltwater Says: Well, bite me!

I finally had the chance to run the numbers on how ObamaCare will affect me personally. To say they were unsettling would be an understatement of biblical proportions.

I currently have the most basic of health insurance coverage, a ‘catastrophic’ plan, available through my employer. The annual premium for this most basic coverage takes about 10.4% of my pretax income. THAT plan ceases to exist under ObamaCare rules, effective Dec 31.

The “new and improved” equivalent plan under ObamaCare would slam me with a premium increase to 31.8% of my pretax income – 3 times as much – IF it were available to me. However, it is not, because I am too old. Too old? Yes, too old. Catastrophic plans are only available to someone UNDER 30.

The least expensive “Bronze” plan which Dear Leader says I CAN buy comes in at a whopping 42.2% of my pretax income. The most “affordable” insurance I will be ALLOWED to buy under the “Affordable Care Act” is going to cost me more than FOUR TIMES what I now pay. (On the bright side, if I, as a 61-year-old male, get pregnant, I’m covered.)

But, I can get subsidies to offset those costs, right? Well, maybe.

About half my monthly income comes from one part-time job that is totally dependent on business. On good weeks, I can get 20 hours, on bad weeks, as little as 4 hours. With an income right on the bottom cusp of qualifying for subsidy, all it would take is a few ‘bad’ weeks and I do not earn enough. At that point, I would have to pick up the ENTIRE tab for an insurance plan that could suck off $42 of every $100 I make.

Thanks a pant load, Barry.

Dennis P. O’Neil

Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Saltwater Says: Well, bite me!

I’m furious for you and all of the people who are victims of what they didn’t vote for. People talk about the failures of Obamacare and what a bad idea it was but my question for Obama and the democrats that did this is this:

“WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT TO MESS WITH OUR HEALTHCARE?”

I’d love to hear one of them try and answer.

2. Mrs AL says:

Like CW, I am furious. You do not deserve this. You did not ask for this. And you ought not be in this situation you are in today.

It is my hope you have sent an email to your Senators and Representative. Doesn’t hurt to document your situation and have it added to the pile of emails they are getting relative to this Unconstitutional and immoral law! I did so for just that reason.

Thanx for sharing this with us and the blogosphere, Saltwater. it’s very important.

3. bullright says:

It sucks is the right word.(that giant sucking sound, again) Then the Dickator has the chutzpa to say all those people will be better off. My anger is registering on the Richter scale. All of it caused by Obama and his cohorts..

4. Garnet92 says:

Saltwater, your situation illustrates perfectly what happens when “choice” is removed from the purchase consideration and is replaced with a one-size-fits-all “solution” constructed by a bunch of progressive bureaucrats.

The PPACA has nothing to do with providing either “Patient Protection” or “Affordability” to our citizens, it is all window-dressing to hide the step to a government-provided, single-payer, European-styled system – and it took some 2,700 pages of gobbledygook to hide the real goal.

• Saltwater says:

Exactly, Garnet! They see us only in context of that 1962 Malvina Reynolds tune (and 1963 Pete Seeger hit), “Little Boxes.”

Little boxes on the hillside,
      Little boxes made of ticky tacky,
      Little boxes on the hillside,
      Little boxes all the same.
      There’s a green one and a pink one
      And a blue one and a yellow one,
      And they’re all made out of ticky tacky
      And they all look just the same.

5. Saltwater says:

Even Charles Richter and Yoda combined could never envision a suitable formula for expressing the magnitude of the tremor in my force.

Just wait until Jan 1st., when ALL employer plans come under the same scenario as individual plans. The excrement will hit the oscillating air movement device then. Good post, Salty. I share your frustration. I’ve told my insurance guy that if he cannot find a suitable plan, screw it. And, I’m NOT paying a fine. Piss on’em.

• Saltwater says:

The only problem there is THAT Jan 1st doesn’t come until 2015 – AFTER most of the turd polishers have stood for, and most likely achieved, reelection.

7. BrianR says:

Yup. This was the topic of my current essay at my own blog. My Medicare Advantage plan’s gone up about 230% over the last 2 years, and my coverage has shrunk drastically.

Check it out.

Saltwater, I say hold out as long as you can, you’re better off without anything rather than pay the king’s ransom. Without the young people signing on to carry this baggage, it’s bound to collapse under it’s own weight.

• Saltwater says:

It is not even a mater of choice, Kathy. The economics make civil disobedience my only option. Come January 1, I will be standing next to Clyde yelling, “Foxtrot Oscar” at Zero and his Statist cronies.

9. Blessed B. says:

How much would the fine for not having health Insurance cost you ? It just might be worth the fine!

• Saltwater says:

According to the law (assuming Obama doesn’t change that part by fiat), the fine would be 1% of my income the first year – or 9.4% less than i currently pay for the insurance I have.

• Blessed B. says:

And…. you still would be able to get the care that is covered by your insurance now due to the hospitals having to treat regardless of whether you can pay for it or not?

• Saltwater says:

That was the law before ACA, nothing has changed that — yet.

• Blessed B. says:

If it were me…I’d say fine me! And not have to pay for the insurance….it’s cheaper…You also wouldn’t then have the insurance company denying you treatment cuz it falls out of the plan they have…

10. Buck says:

Little boxes made of ticky tacky, eh?
    Saltwater, you’re giving away your age.