Republicans about to walk into another democrat trap – again

I wish I could say that I disagreed with what Mr. Erickson wrote. Unfortunately, it sounds all too plausible. I don’t know any more about the two “fix” plans he refers to in the article than what he describes, but if he’s accurate, it does sound like at least a “check,” if not “checkmate” by the democrats.

From: RedState, by: Erick Erickson, November 13th, 2013 at 09:41 AM                  |

Republicans are walking into a trap and they don’t even realize it.

They are about to consider, in the House of Representatives, legislation by Congressman Upton [R-MI] that would allow people to keep their insurance plans.

There’s a problem though.  It is widely acknowledged that Congressman Upton’s legislation is more messaging than substance.  His legislation does not have anything in it that can force insurance companies, in the topsy-turvy world of Obamacare, to keep insurance plans going.

But there is a plan than does.  Senator Mary Landrieu [D-LA] has written legislation in the United States Senate that the Democrats love.  It mandates insurance companies have to keep people on their present insurance.  The GOP is supposedly against mandates and against government forcing private businesses and individuals into contracts they don’t want.

Here’s what is going to happen.

The House, with the help of a good number of Democrats, will pass the Upton plan and send it to the Senate.  Harry Reid will substitute the Landrieu plan and send it back to the House.  The House will be forced to either vote for the Landrieu plan or be characterized as siding with insurance companies against people.

In one fell swoop, the Democrats will have the GOP on record saving Mary Landrieu’s re-election in Louisiana by casting her as the one who saved Americans’ health care plans, and also getting on record as really being in favor of fixing Obamacare with the use of mandates.

The GOP is walking right into the trap.

Of course, there has been talk about several different plans to “fix” Obamacare by others as well. I know that I am against any delay unless things improve dramatically and there’s no other choice. I’d prefer to continue to highlight, illustrate, point out, etc. the massive problems with Obamacare while sitting back to watch the public become more aware of what awaits them. The more that plans are cancelled, higher rates are publicized, and spin from the White House is proven to be lies, the more aggrevated the public gets and the likelihood of repeal improves.

If Erickson is right about the scenario and it plays out that way, the pressure on Obama will ease, people will feel like their immediate problem has been fixed (by democrats), and we will have lost an opportunity to relegate Obama to a limp-duck status (both impotent and lame).

Garnet92

Tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Republicans about to walk into another democrat trap – again

1. tannngl says:

The insurance companies can not keep people on their old plans. It is against the ACA law.
    This is all mind numbing.
    But Republicans are pretty stupid.

• Saltwater says:

Not a problem for Dems and Zero – as the too close to the truth joke about the Clintons went in the mid 90s:
      “The illegal we can do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a bit longer.”

• Garnet92 says:

Thanks for stopping by tanngl! That’s right, but the idiots in congress will find a way to “fix” the problem – thereby screwing up something else. We really do need to repeal this monstrosity.

Looks like this got inserted at the wrong place – it’s really a reply to tanngl!

Upton is about as smart as sheep dip. Remember when the debate about compact fluorescent bulbs was raging? THIS asshole was the deciding vote. So now, since his ass is in a tight spot, HE proposes a LAW with NO goddamn teeth. Simply a PR move, IMHO. Besides, WE know ANYTHING the French Repubs propose will go down in flames with Dingy Harry anyway. Unless it is a TOTAL defunding, or repeal, NOTHING will work for me.

• Garnet92 says:

I don’t know much about Upton, Clyde, so I’ll take your word on his smarts – certainly screwing us on the CFBs doesn’t highlight his Mensa credentials. You’re right that repeal is the only REAL solution, anything else the idiots do will likely cause other “unintended consequences.”

I agree with you completely, Garnet. This is a case of a Republican racing in to look like a hero without thinking first. The idea that you would compound the disaster of Obamacare with a stupid law that even further messes with the free market is stupid beyond belief.

• Garnet92 says:

CW, where are the less stupid members who ought to be stopping the Upton mess from seeing the light of day and replacing it with something else that might actually do something positive? His is the only bill I’m hearing about from the Republicans in the House?

• CW says:

George Will had a different take on it, Garnet. Here’s what he said about it on Bret Baier:

“I think the blazing insight I have in this is there is no need to repeal ObamaCare,” he said. “If you pass a bill, that I think the Republicans are going to want pass, saying if you could buy insurance policy X before the first of October, you could still buy it. And if you were selling it then, you could still sell it. That is all you need to do. After that ObamaCare disappears.”

So in essence he thinks this will undo Obamacare. What do you think?

• Garnet92 says:

Well, at first blush, it sounds brilliant – if there aren’t any other consequences that are inherent in the other requirements of the law, like the creation of all of the new panels, new IRS agents, and the exact wording of parts of the law that would still remain in place. It sounds too good to be true – though I wish it were that easy.

• Garnet92 says:

Sorry, premature termination! Will’s solution solves one of the problems, and an important one by removing the mandate, but the law remains in place – it doesn’t really “undo” it. Someone more qualified than I is going to have to investigate to see what the ramifications would be until the law could really be repealed. In the end, I don’t see how we could leave it on the books and just ignore it.

• Mrs AL says:

> ” In the end, I don’t see how we could leave it on the books and just ignore it.”
              That’s funny, Garnet. The national government ignores laws on the books every day.

• CW says:

I agree. The republican congress has tried many times to repeal the law. Maybe the time is ripe to try again.

I would like to have kept the pressure on O longer too. He needs and deserves the continued bashing so people will finally get the message and quit believing and idolizing him. His numbers are going down every day – I want rock bottom.

Another thought – forcing the insurance companies to keep people is no better than forcing the people to buy something they don’t want, is it?

• Saltwater says:

Worse actually, the second is only extortion. The first is servitude.
      Forcing someone to buy insurance “for their own good” was, and remains, a popular criminal enterprise designed to redistribute wealth.
      Forcing people to work against their will is the very definition of slavery.

• Garnet92 says:

Agree 100% Kathy – Omammy isn’t yet down to rock bottom. If this fiasco were allowed to continue until around September/October next year when the business plans start being cancelled, we might even begin to see talk of impeachment for Omammy (I know that’s a dream of mine).

Best thing we can do is keep the pressure on him – let him twist in the wind.

Good post. This is just another episode of Lucy with the football and Charlie Brown. The message from the GOP should be as Saltwater outlined.

6. Buck says:

The GOP keeps saying they need to come up with an alternative plan to Obamacare.
    What I want to know is when did it become incumbent upon the government to be responsible for public health care?

7. Garnet92 says:

Now THIS may be interesting: last night I saw a short interview with Ted Cruz on Megyn Kelly’s show and he said that he is working on a plan to “fix” the Obamacare problems and it’ll be done in a couple of weeks. He has an opportunity to illustrate that he is more than just talk – let’s see what he comes up with – I wouldn’t expect it to be another “me too” style of plan, but something more substantial. He has a chance to elevate his stature among 2016 candidates if it’s good and damage it if it’s just another half-assed plan.