“I AM A VETERAN”

For my Veteran Brothers, of All Branches, Everywhere, and Everywhen!!

I AM A VETERAN

I am that pimply faced kid down the street, stumbling over my own feet on the smooth sidewalk.

I am the kid in the backfield on the High School football team.

I am the file clerk, working in the back room, in the mail room, on the phone trying to soothe the temper of an upset customer. I am the young person, trying to sell a home, an insurance policy, or putting the roof on your home.

I am your brother, your sister, your son, your daughter.

I was there at the Battle of Boston, Appotomax, the Battle of San Juan Hill, Argonne Forest, and the Battle of the Bulge.

I walked the Burma Road.

I was there, on Pork Chop Hill, and fought in the battle for Saigon. I was there, in Desert Storm, and in the War in Iraq, and Afghanistan, and I still serve there.

I am the nurse, who hears the screams of a young man, who has just lost an arm or a leg, to a mine, laid by someone who has no respect for human life;, his, or that of any other.

I am a soldier, a sailor, an airman, a marine, who cares not for the politics that sent me where I am, not after seeing a child, horribly disfigured by mustard gas or lying dead from a fanatic’s bomb.

I am one who hears the cries of the blood from the ground, shed by those who died, for a dictators palace. I am one who has freed the prisoners from the gas chambers of the Third Reich, and from Abu Ghraib, and from Fallujah.

I believe in Freedom. Seven letters, but a long memory.

F – Faith, in God and in humanity
R – Respect, for myself, and for my fellow man
E – Endurance, to survive and release those in bondage
E – Eradicate injustice, and enslavement of the human body, the human mind
D – Deliver those who are bound, that they may seek their own way
O – Openness of dialogue, and acceptance of others
M – Maturity, my own, and that of Humanity

And when it comes time I pass through the veil of the Shadow of Death, I will do so, knowing I did what I knew was right. For I have seen the oppressed, the downtrodden, the slaves, and the prisoners, and done what I, in my small way, could do to relieve their oppression, that they may choose their own way.

I am a Veteran who served his country, for reasons of my own, in the service of a greater good.

I have stood alone, both honored and condemned, yet knowing that no other eyes who did not serve, could see what I saw, nor feel what I felt.

And when I stand before my God, and look back upon my life, I will tell Him,  “I did what I knew was the right thing at that time. Given the same circumstances, I would do it again!”

For Freedom is NOT Free!

©The BridgeWalker
11/11/2004

Let us honor those who served in Courage and Honor, in all the campaigns fought, that we may have the freedom we have this day.
Remember, always, It is not the “common soldier” who starts the war, It is those who would enslave and oppress,  in one form or another.

When will we realize, the common person of any nationality puts on their pants, one leg at a time,,,

Pees either squatting or standing,,,

That the same Creator created us ALL,,,

And loves us all equally?

That the folks of Iraq get just as horny, as the folks in the U.S. or Russia or China,,,???

Were we to meet on the street, in a suit or whatever, where is the difference, that the leaders demand we see?

And yes, I am a Disabled Viet Nam Era Veteran,,, and my father (Rest his soul) served in WWII and Korea, in various theatres of action.

~ ~ Grouchy ~ ~

Tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to “I AM A VETERAN”

Thank You Veterans !
    And Great Job, BridgeWalker.

2. Mrs AL says:

Thank you for your service, Grouchy.
    And I echo Terry’s comment.

3. pepperhawk says:

Great post Grouchy. God bless our military serving today and years gone by for their never ending courage and honor.

I love this piece, and thank you for your service, Grouchmeister.

Take a bow, GF. And THANK YOU for your service, and sacrifice.

6. Just Gene says:

THOUGHTS
    by
    JUST GENE
    on
    VETERANS DAY
    (a repeat)
    There are some I know who will not appreciate this but I can’t even explain how disgusted I am with the narcistic, sadistic, pathological liar we have as our DICKtator. If you’re not an ideolog and want to have a serious discussion about the DICKtator I’d be happy to discuss any subject with yo. If you don’t care about your children’s and grandchildren’s future, just let me know and I’ll take your name off my contact list, and if you request your name be taken off you don’t even realize YOU are the problem, but I still love you.
    THE GOVERNMENT HAS DEFAULTED
    As a vet, no, as a human being, I can no longer stomach the dispicable treatment of our military and their families. With a shutdown, we can still find funds to have park police harass our vets!!! Where the hell are we living!!! Are we back to U.S. Marshalls rounding up runaway slaves, just like the “good” German soldiers who pushed the Jews into the boxcars. All of them claiming,”We are just doing our job”. They all sold their souls, especially the park police for a pay check. There wouldn’t be parks for them to even have a job if it wasn’t for the brave military
    DERELICTION OF DUTY
    Generally, dereliction of duty refers to failure through negligence or obstinacy to perform ones legal or moral duty to a reasonable expectation. In other words, it means willful or negligent failure to perform assigned duties or performing them in a culpably inefficient manner. Dereliction of duty is a specific offense in military law. Under the regulations of military law, avoidance of a duty or failure to follow an order from a superior, noncompliance with procedural rules, misbehavior, malingering, self-injury with intent to avoid service, or straggling can result in a charge of dereliction of duty. Ineptitude is a defense against the charge. A person convicted of dereliction of duty can be given a dishonorable or bad behavior discharge from his or her branch of service, and may forfeit pay or be sentenced to six months confinement. U.S. Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), addresses dereliction of duty within the regulations governing the failure to obey an order or regulation.

J’accuse
    Chief of Staff U. S. Air Force
    General Mark A. Welsh III
    Chief of National Guard Bureau
    General Frank J. Grass
    OF
    DERELICTION OF DUTY

There are others who do not fall under the UMCJ, but have abrocated their right to be part of the human race – including:

Secretary of the Interior
    Sally Jewell
    U. S. National Park Service Director
    Jonathan B. Jarvis

Some of those refused admission have already passed away – in their memory please pass this along!!!

7. Thank You all, for your replies. Let us never forget what and who has made this Nation a shining star in the History of Earth.