Ahhh…. Yes. Such Efficiency.

The charade of “wind power” keeps churning along.

At this rate of return, the Earth will be GONE before this asshattery pays for itself. From The Daily Caller.com

This wind turbine will pay for itself in 452 years, generates $8 a month

This wind turbine will pay for itself in 452 years, generates $8 a  month.

3:13 PM  11/07/2013 by Michael Bastasch

Click on the above link to see “efficiency” in action.

Government bureaucrats have just been given a sobering reminder that you  can’t place a wind turbine just anywhere. Welsh  officials have been chastised for building a wind turbine in a calm area that  will only generate about $8 of electricity per month — a 452-year payback  period.

The Welsh government claims that the turbine is generating a low return  because of mechanical problems, reports the Daily Express, but the company that built  it says it’s the poor location that’s causing the turbine to underperform.

“The problem is quite simple — it’s been put in the wrong place,” said Paul  Burrell, a wind turbine  expert. “It’s very important with any wind turbine to ensure it’s in the most  exposed location possible. They need unobstructed access to wind from all  directions.

“Unfortunately the Welsh Government’s one is located in a valley two miles  from the sea and has quite a short tower,” he added.

The wind turbine was built near the headquarters of the Labour  Party-controlled Welsh government in 2009, but it’s performance was not  monitored until a year ago. The turbine has only generated 33 kilowatts of power per month  in that year, meaning it only generates about $8 worth of electricity per  month.

Even if the turbine is repaired, it will still not run at full capacity and  won’t generate much more electricity.

“If this project had been started when Elizabeth I was on the throne, it  would only be reaching break-even point now, sixty years into the reign of  Elizabeth II,” said Jonathan Isaby, political director of the TaxPayers’  Alliance. “It would seem that the turbine’s installation was nothing more than  an obscenely expensive vanity project, with unwitting taxpayers footing the  bill.

The company that installed the turbine, Quiet Revolution, said that it was  skeptical of the location where the government wanted to build the wind  turbine.

The Welsh Labour government says that the turbine is part of their strategy  to curb carbon dioxide emissions and fight global warming.

“We have an ambitious carbon management strategy  for the whole of our estate which includes a wide range of activities aimed at  reducing CO2 emissions,” said a Welsh government spokesperson.

“Regardless of the mechanical problems experienced so far, this turbine will  never achieve value for  taxpayers’ money and whoever took the decision to install it should be held to  account for approving such egregious waste,” Isaby said.

~

It doesn’t matter where in the world this asshattery is tried, it is a HUGE waste of resources.

Governments can’t even run THEMSELVES right, what the hell kind of hubris do they possess to make them think ANY of their schemes will work, anywhere in the world they are tried?

Proof positive government, while we recognize the need of SOME regulatory oversight, NEEDS to stay the hell out of something the private sector CAN do better, and MUCH more efficiently. Too bad Mr. Isaby’s last sentence will never come to fruition.

Hat-tip to Garnet for the wind turbine video.

~

Clyde

Tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Ahhh…. Yes. Such Efficiency.

1. upaces88 says:

Except for Lubbock, Texas, We don’t have much wind here!

• Clyde says:

Do I denote facetiousness? haha

• Kathy says:

She had to be, Clyde, I’m about 120 miles from her and the wind blows here every day. Put one in my yard and I could make a fortune…as long as I can keep the government’s hands off it.

• Clyde says:

Was always my contention the wind NEVER stopped blowing across the Great State Of Texas.

• upaces88 says:

I live in the Northeast part of Texas…I’D LOVE TO SEE SOME WIND!!

• Kathy says:

I’ll send some your way next time. Watch out what you ask for. 🙂

• upaces88 says:

The last time I saw wind was about 6 yrs ago (came with Tornado Warnings.
                I sat on the floor in my front bedroom pushing against the window outward to keep it from blowing INTO the house. I sat there for 30 minutes and it finally passed. That was just wind…not a tornado.
                That was the last wind we had here….believe me it was!
                It is bad when you have to go outside to actually catch a breeze. Hmmm, must be the position of my home or other homes blocking the wind…cuz, I never get any.
                —–
                And, in the summertime you don’t want to leave your windows open anyway, it would be HOT wind anyway.

• upaces88 says:

That WAS during Tornado season here.
                  My home (the land) is pretty low…they have jumped over my house and never touched down.
                  This is weird!
                  When I was about 10 yrs old, my aunt called. A tornado hit her house. It blew the roof off….this is the weird part. Their garage was not attached to the house. The Tornado picked the garage up and set it down on the other side of the house. Nothing was disturbed. The hammers and saws were still on the nails and hooks on the walls of the garage.

2. No matter how well you execute a bad idea with a bad premise, it ain’t gonna end well.

Accountability only applies to the private sector.

4. Mrs AL says:

Well golly gee, there’s enough wind breaking from the U.S. Capitol area to power a hundred of these things. Just close down the ‘town’ of D.C. and surround it with those turbines. POWER FOR ALL.

Seriously, Clyde – good post.

5. Buck says:

If wind turbines had any possibility of being efficient and capable of turning a profit don’t you think private companies would be on it like white on rice???

The ability of government, any government, to piss away the people’s money in the search for unicorns is infinite.

7. Anne says:

I can’t help but think that if a private company was the one building this, someone would have looked into how effective that location would be and built it someplace WITH WIND! But why waste taxpayer money on all that research when you can just use that money (to attempt) to make yourself look “environmentally concerned.”

I’m all for buying wind energy from a company who invests in it themselves, assuming it is cost effective for me. It actually came out cheaper on some of the plans I looked at, but I’m not interested in paying for someone else’s laziness and/or incompetence.

• Clyde says:

Thanks for dropping by, Anne. I agree. If the energy companies want to build these as a viable alternative, fine. Let THEIR shareholders take the risk, and reap ANY rewards for same.