The Ship Of Fools

American and even World Literature is replete with stories using the allegory, “Ship of Fools.” Katherine Ann Porter wrote a novel by that name, in 1962, and in 1965, a movie was made of that novel.

I was a librarian on an Air Force Base at the time the novel came out, and the name stuck with me all these years. Now, I know why. Brieitbart and John Hayward have the story.

CBS: ObamaCare Launched After Failing Hundreds of Tests

by John Hayward 30 Oct 2013

The hits just keep coming. Every time we think the full depth of the Administration’s incompetence and mendacity has been plumbed, a fresh bombshell revelation detonates.

Here’s a new report from the mainstream media’s most persistent Obama gadfly, Sharyl Attkisson, in which we learn the exchange system failed hundreds of tests administered by employees of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. These were the simplest sort of “beta” tests, the kind of thing I used to do all the time in my IT career. You plug in some simple manufactured data and see if the system can swallow it and regurgitate on command.

The tests were postponed until late September—an early warning sign of disaster that was kept hidden from the American people. When they finally occurred, they were a complete failure. The system “ground to a halt,” “froze,” and “crashed” under the lightest and most rudimentary data entry by a tiny pool of CMS testers.

“It was unequivocally clear from testing this wasn’t ready,” was the conclusion forwarded to HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius… who serenely ignored these desperate warnings and launched anyway. And worse, the head of CMS said the site’s issues “did not show up in testing” during testimony on Tuesday.

Attkisson is carefully willing to allow for the possibility that this was incompetence on a cosmic scale, rather than perjured testimony, by suggesting CMS honcho Marilyn Tavenner might simply have been completely unaware that several rounds of testing resulted in red-alert warnings from her own agency. I find that rather difficult to believe, and I suspect the redoubtable Ms. Attkisson does, too. But a lot of unbelievable things have been happening lately, haven’t they?

At the very least, this makes mincemeat of the last quivering chunks of that stupid “so popular we couldn’t keep up with demand!” excuse peddled by the Administration for the ObamaCare crash, and should serve as another mortal blow to both the Affordable Care Act and the Democrats’ entire philosophy of super-intelligent central planning by an all-wise, supremely capable government.

~ ~ oOo ~ ~

One thing I wish to say right now. I respect the Office of the President of The United States. I respect the Offices of the Presidential Cabinet, and the Leaders of the Military of the United States, as exemplified by the Joint Chiefs of Staff. One can respect and honor the OFFICE, and totally abhor the holder OF that office. Character, Integrity and competence are the primary evaluating factors I use, and any sane individual uses to judge the competence and retention ability of the incumbent (s).

However, that said, there are INDIVIDUAL members of the above named OFFICE groups who could easily be replaced, increasing the competency levels of the various positions almost beyond measure. To say nothing of the Intelligence Quotient, by what ever standard it is measured~! And that includes some individual members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

What makes this all so despicable is the manner in which these individuals were placed in their posts. A few were elected, I’ll submit. In that case, the onus devolves onto the electorate, as a majority. ( Ballot box stuffing notwithstanding.) But then on top of that, selections have been made that chose those of ever greater incompetence and foolishness, to say nothing of the detrimental effects of the decisions of appointed bureaucrats~!

I am so bloody well fed-up to my hair roots with, “I didn’t Know” and “I am not aware of,,,” and “I was not told”, that I could let out with a Cosmic Scream.

Plug your ears. Because I am beyond pissed off.

~ ~ Grouchy ~ ~

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to The Ship Of Fools

Good post GF. My belief is this shitbag is working EXACTLY as it was designed. Yesterday, the asshat was ALREADY trying to pin blame on the insurance companies, just as I had predicted a while back. It also appears as if this post ALMOST let YOUR inner-truck driver escape. Let it GO,man!!! haha

• You’re right, Clyde,,, Thank GOD I live in a rural area~! But the horses down the road damn near bolted~!
      We are being lied to, front and back, top and bottom and all kinds of sideways.

“Integrity? What’s that got to do with anything~!”,,, It is totally irrelevant in this current administration~!

Where’s my teeth guard~!,,, Oh,,, I already chewed the hell out of it~!

Yes, good post, Grouchy.

This is what happens when we have a president motivated by self-interest and politics above everything else, including the welfare of the nation he’s supposed to be looking out for. It would be nice if Americans finally learned something but the lesson will be lost on those who need it most.

• Garnet92 says:

Grouchy, I can, with confidence, forecast that our new “‘Noxious Rants” rubber room is going to get a lot of activity!

How can any of this administration’s supporters consider that when told of the website’s condition, they still allowed it to go online? This is just one more illustration that a distinct lack of judgment is pervasive throughout this bunch of fools.

What dumbass, when told that “it don’t work” says “let’s go anyway”? These people are supposed to be in charge of 1/6 of our economy and all of the confidential health information for all of our citizens and this is how they make decisions?

I’m gonna need me some of Hardnox’s foam bricks, for sure.

“Lesson lost on those who need it most”,,, OMGawsh, what a mouthful~! And so very, VERY true.
      Tiger’s have Stripes, Leopards have spots, and Looters got to Leech .

3. Mrs AL says:

It HAD to be launched no matter what. Had it been postponed, it would have been perceived that the law had been postponed and this “law” had to be perceived as fully implemented to begin to become entrenched and accepted as settled law.

Good stuff, Grouchy. Yes, it is extremely maddening to know we have such morons in charge of this fiasco, but there’s one thought to bear in mind that will give you a chuckle, or at least it does for me.

Remember Clyde’s story from a couple of days ago, where he pointed out that Moochelle’s college classmate, who runs CGI Federal, is responsible for the design of this website.

This failure of a website, handed to CGI on the silver platter of a no-bid contract, now being run by incompetents, couldn’t be saved by all the Geek Squads in the country. It’s just a matter of time before it goes boom. Now that’s funny – expensive, but funny.

• Kathy, I think Canada will disown CG I Federal. I don’t think they want anything to do with this fall that will make the Fall of Rome look like a tennis ball dropped in the dust~!

5. Folks, re-reading the comments, and re-thinking this post, Einstein had a comment that really fits this whole scenario, and that includes the “residents” re-election.
    “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and over, and expecting a different result.”

Thank You, Uncle Albert~!

6. tannngl says:

“super-intelligent central planning by an all-wise, supremely capable government.”

That is your ‘ship of fools’. God must have given consercatives the vision to see because the prigs can’t. They are stuck on stupid, blind.

I’m tired too, of the ‘I didn’t know that til I saw it on TV.’ It’s so idiotic and progs fall for it. Posted a tweet the other day that was just boss…

“Obama Legacy: The President who knew nothing about everything.”

• Hello, Tannngl~!
      And a wise and welcome comment, “Stuck on Stupid~!” for sure

Did you see the original movie, “Rollerball” with James Caan??? That is what this brings to mind. The whole philosophy of government. Truly an amazing similarity in political principles~!

7. tannngl says:

I don’t think I saw it but I do remember the ads for it.
    It did away with the individual’s independence and responsibility? Just can’t remember what it was about.
    (I’m old 😀 )

• 😀 I’m in my eighth decade, so don’ worry about age~! 😀 )
      You pretty well summed it up. Let me see if I can dig up more info. (My forethought went behind the screen door, and got locked outside.)

• The 1975 movie is available from Amazon, about $16.00. It is well worth the price. There is a 2002 remake, but I know nothing of its quality. I remember the technology of that movie was stupendous for the year of the film~!

8. myfoxmystere says:

The loons never learned from their queen bee Pelosi, but followed her buzz: Pass the bill, so we could find out what’s in it! They just had to follow up and launch the website so they could find the bugs in it. Their bloated egos will erupt like a volcano, and explode in utter failure.

Good post Grouchmeister. I am certain this mess was intentional. It was never meant to work.