Marco Rubio: Thinking Inside the Box

I’m going to have to put a shield of Plexiglas around my TV to protect it from the onslaught of household objects that I routinely hurl at it these days, so maddening is it to watch the nonstop parade of politicians who are either lying or putting up a hopelessly inept fight against the lies. In an interview with Marco Rubio last night Greta Van Susteren talked about the latest demon slithering out from the Pandora’s Box known as Obamacare: people being dropped from health insurance plans deemed “substandard” by the elitists running our government. Gee, what a surprise. Playing devil’s advocate, Greta asked Rubio what should be done about people who have plans that don’t cover basic insurance needs like hospitalization: “…if someone gets hit be a car,” she asked, “and then ends up in the emergency room, it somehow becomes an expense for the rest of us, no?”

The correct answer is “No,” followed by something like this:

“The false premise that the rest of MUST pay for those who fail to plan for their own medical needs is the foundation that the entire Obamacare scheme is built upon. WHO says the rest of us have to pay their bills? WHO wrote that law?

“What’s happened here is a classic example of liberals insulating people from the laws of natural consequences and subjecting the rest of us to the laws of unintended consequences. We see this over and over again, whether it’s the rest of us paying for welfare babies, someone else’s college expenses or a mortgage that someone walked out on. If you’re an adult who fails to plan for yourself or your child and you wind up in the emergency room, you should be prepared to face the consequences and pay that bill even if you have to do it on a long-term payment plan. Ironically, simply letting things work the way they should have would have been the best way to naturally entice people to buy insurance on their own. So why did we stop doing it that way? My guess is that if you follow the liberal policy trail you’ll find the real problems started with the increases in out-of-wedlock births and illegal immigration, two groups that have pushed the limits of the system and made collection particularly difficult. So if you really want to solve this problem, the first order of business is to get liberals or progressives or whatever the heck you want to call them out of the business of running our government.”

Here’s Rubio’s response:

“…that needs to be up to the individual to choose what kind of insurance plan they have.”

Huh? As you can see, he not only missed a prime opportunity to explain how liberal policy led us to the debacle of Obamacare (assuming he’s ever bothered to think about it), he didn’t even answer the question that was asked, exposing him and all republicans to the charge that we have no answer to Greta’s question.

We are doomed.

˜CW

27 Responses to Marco Rubio: Thinking Inside the Box

Better solution. DON’T WATCH what passes for “news” these days. TV’s are cheap, but CAN add up to a MAJOR expense if one keeps hucking things through them. As for Rubio, no surprise. He’s turned into a BIG disappointment as well.

• Garnet92 says:

Great topic CW! Rubio was riding the crest of a big wave when he accidentally let the curtain slip allowing his true character to show through with his stand on immigration – he “split his britches” as we used to say.

2. Buck says:

Yep. He needs to be sent home. That would be a real message for folks who are elected for their conservative speech but somehow forget all when they arrive in DC…

It sounds like you need one of Hardnox’s foam bricks, CW.

We the people do have answers, it’s the congress critters that don’t. They don’t defend themselves from the Dems’ name-calling and they don’t bother to explain to us what they’re doing, so seizing the moment never occurred to him. First he’d have to see that it was an opportunity.

Like Clyde said, Rubio has turned out to be a huge disappointment. I think he got ‘Washingtonized’ – the one thing he hoped wouldn’t happen to him.

4. Garnet92 says:

Rubio has greatly diminished his “rising star” status by veering off of the conservative path and into the dark side. I don’t think that he will recover.

Rubio is a lesson in relativism and conservative desperation. We are so desperate to rid ourselves of republicans like Charlie Christ that we have a tendancy to get over-excited over anyone who is more conservative by comparison. That would be fine if we didn’t always try to make superstars out of these people.

• Mrs AL says:

BINGO — FIVE STARS — EXCELLENT!! That’s the bottom line, CW. I don’t trust any of these people. I watch, listen and agree or disagree. Except for Harry the Rodent. Ooops, is my bias showing?

6. Buck says:

Yeah, CW. You give me cause to stop and think about it… Rubio is more conservative by comparison but surely he knows his consitutents do not want any form of amnesty or “path to citizenship” for folks who have no love for this country.

• CW says:

Unfortunately Rubio has the same thinking flaw that so many wannabe conservative politicians have. They let liberals define the problem, then they get stuck thinking inside that box and can no longer see the forest for the trees. Liberals tell us we MUST find a way to deal with (i.e. absorb) the millions of people who are here illegally, and Rubio has accepted that premise just as he accepted Greta’s premise that we MUST pay for people who don’t pay up when they go to the emergency room. Once you accept those premises, all “solutions” lead to liberal gov’t policy. That’s not an accident. As soon as I see a politician who accepts the liberals’ definition of the problem, I know he won’t be part of the restoration of our republic.

7. myfoxmystere says:

Rubio may have gone off track, but it could be worse: Chucky C, the huge RINO, had he been elected, would have done even more damage from the start.

• CW says:

There’s no doubt that Rubio was the right choice when he was up against Christ (assuming there was no one more conservative in that race, which I don’t believe there was), but he’s not the conservative leader for the nation that some folks want to make him into. We MUST learn to start making true conservatives into stars, and stop trying to make stars into true conservatives.

Good post. I submit that we are doomed if we continue to pin our hopes on the Perpetual Stupid Party. Today, everything is about messaging in a bumper-sticker soundbite world. The GOP sucks at it.

The GOP with the help of the RINOs miss almost every opportunity to point out the disaster that is this administration.

• CW says:

You’ll get no argument from me, Hardnox. That’s why this blog and others is critical to the fight. SOMEONE has to tell it like it is!

I can’t tell you how broken hearted I am over Rubio.
    I feel like a cheap date (but not too cheap…I contributed several times to my former D.C. hero’s campaign).

• CW says:

Well how much did you give, Terry? Maybe you’re not so cheap. 
      Please read what I said to “Myfoxmystere” and to Buck. Rubio was the right thing to do in Florida at that time. Weeding out the posers is going to take time. We could have worse than Rubio – much worse.

10. PT Bohan says:

excellent post CW. Republicans are their own worst enemy. Thinking outside the box is not something that is common in Washington. I try not to watch too much News these days – it is unhealthy.

11. Mrs AL says:

I hesitated to pose this Q too early, so I will ask now …
    What is “the box”? It was exceedingly popular concept a while back, but I never did get a bottom line answer from anyone as to what “the box” is, sans a specific context.

• CW says:

Hi Mrs. AL. The “box” is a self-imposed limit on one’s thinking, as when people refused to accept the possibility that the world was round. Setting up such boxes is one of the keys to advancing liberalism/progressivism because it confines people to thinking only of solutions that will expand the Left’s control. With respect to both illegal immigration and healthcare, for instance, we have been programmed to become reactionary thinkers so that we steer clear of going back and analyzing what went wrong in the first place (that kind of investigation will ALWAYS lead to progressivism). It is drilled into us that we are in a state of crisis and emergency surgery – not preventative care – is the only answer. Stuck-in-the-box thinking is probably my greatest frustration as a conservative blogger.

• Mrs AL says:

Thanx so much for the response, CW. Am struggling a little bit with what I see as a contradiction (you know me … the goofy one). Will keep munging. Thanx again for your help!