Army Defines Christian Ministry as Hate Group

By Todd Starnes at Fox News:

660-Starnes-AFA-briefing.jpg

Several dozen U.S. Army active duty and reserve troops were told last week that the American Family Association, a well-respected Christian ministry, should be classified as a domestic hate group because the group advocates for traditional family values.

The briefing was held at Camp Shelby in Mississippi and listed the AFA alongside domestic hate groups like the Ku Klux Klan, Neo-Nazis, the Black Panthers and the Nation of Islam.

A soldier who attended the briefing contacted me and sent me a photograph of a slide show presentation that listed AFA as a domestic hate group. Under the AFA headline is a photograph of Westboro Baptist Church preacher Fred Phelps holding a sign reading “No special law for f***.”

American Family Association has absolutely no affiliation with the controversial church group known for picketing the funerals of American service members.

“I had to show Americans what our soldiers are now being taught,” said the soldier who asked not to be identified. “I couldn’t just let this one pass.”

The soldier said a chaplain interrupted the briefing and challenged the instructor’s assertion that AFA is a hate group.

“The instructor said AFA could be considered a hate group because they don’t like gays,” the soldier told me. “The slide was talking about how AFA refers to gays as sinners and heathens and derogatory terms.”

The soldier, who is an evangelical Christian, said the chaplain defended the Christian ministry.

“He kept asking the instructor, ‘Are you sure about that, son? Are you sure about that?’” he said, recalling the back and forth.

Later in the briefing, the soldiers were reportedly told that they could face punishment for participating in organizations that are considered hate groups.

That considered, the soldier contacted me because he is a financial contributor to the AFA ministry.

“I donate to AFA as often as I can,” he said. “Am I going to be punished? I listen to American Family Radio all day. If they hear it on my radio, will I be faced with a Uniformed Code of Military Justice charge?”

The soldier said he was “completely taken back by this blatant attack not only on the AFA but Christians and our beliefs.”

“The American Family Association has received numerous accounts of military installations, as well as law enforcement agencies, using a list compiled by the Southern Poverty Law Center, which wrongfully identifies and defames AFA,” reads a statement they sent me.

Bryan Fischer hosts a talk show on American Family Radio. He called the Army’s allegations “libelous, slanderous and blatantly false.”

“This mischaracterization of AFA is reprehensible and inexcusable,” he told me. “We have many military members who are a part of the AFA network who know these accusations are a tissue of lies.”

Fischer said their views on gay marriage and homosexuality are not hate – it’s simply a disagreement.

“If our military wasn’t headed by a commander-in-chief who is hostile to Christian faith, these allegations would be laughed off every military base in the world,” he said.

Hiram Sasser, of the Liberty Institute, told me the Army’s briefing is a smear.

He recalled what President Obama said last year when Muslim extremists attacked our diplomatic outpost in Libya.

“Since our founding, the United States has been a nation that respects all faiths,” President Obama said. “We reject all efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others.”

Sasser said he wished the president and the Army would treat the American Family Association with the same deference and respect they show those who mean to harm us.

“Why must the Army under this administration continue to attack Americans of faith and smear them?” Sasser wondered.

I fear the answer to that question. Because it appears the Obama administration is separating the military from the American people – and planting seeds of doubt about Christians and some of our nation’s most prominent Christian ministries.

~~~~~~~~~

Never in the history of this country has there been such an attack on Christianity and never has it been brought on by our president and propagated throughout our military.

The communist muslim commander in chief is doing all he can to undermine our soldiers. These guys are in no position to argue, so they have to ‘go along’ in spite of their beliefs.

Obama said “We reject all efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others.” and he should have added ‘except Christians.’

Our founding fathers must be spinning. Let’s be part of a hate group and pray for our military.

~Kathy

Tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Army Defines Christian Ministry as Hate Group

1. bullright says:

Its almost beyond belief. (pardon pun) He’s politicizing the military the way he politicized every other part of his administration. He has us a nation under one man. Who are they kidding? SPLC is out of control.

2. Garnet92 says:

Au contraire, bull – the problem is that the SPLC is IN control. But seriously, I know what you mean.

Today our world seems to be a bizarro world where everything that is wrong is Wright and what’s right is wrong. WHAT THE HELL has happened to us? As a people, we are ALLOWING our country, our morality, our religious beliefs, and our way of life to be turned upside down by those who have their own personal axes to grind – so their un-American views can become mainstream, and thereby, acceptable.

For those of us old enough to remember, the good old days, compared to where we’re headed, were the GOOD OLD DAYS – where lies were wrong, where one took responsibility for one’s screw-ups, where we worshipped God and were proud of it, and where men who preferred men and women who preferred women were unnatural. The human race has survived because men and women came together to continue the species – that’s natural, and whether one chooses to believe that God or evolution made it so, that’s why we’re still here. There is nothing natural about being homosexual – it is unnatural, but we are being force-fed the party line that it is OK and just as normal as being heterosexual – sorry, but science, evolution, and God are on my side.

[we now return to your regularly scheduled content]

• Kathy says:

Garnet, you crack me up! I wish we had those good old days back too. Put the homos back in the closet, put education back in schools, put the truth back in the media and most of all put obama back in Kenya!

• bullright says:

Right the control thing, spot on, I stand corrected.
      “The human race has survived because men and women came together to continue the species – that’s natural,…”

Right, and that sure was not as easy as it sounds either. 🙂

3. Buck says:

THERE IT IS!
    The Army, then the rest of the military, will punish soldiers for participating in hate group organizations.
    First the AFA is classified by the perfumed princes as a hate organization with membership a punishable offense.
    Then the Christian Churches.
    Then the rest of the government will start punishing civilians for participation in hate group organizations, too.
    They will classify participation in a ‘hate group orgnaization’ as a violation of the Hate Crime Act….
    Man,
    It’s not far down the pike, is it?

4. Mrs AL says:

Congress is not doing their job and clamping down on this ____ (fill in the blank yourself). And don’t tell me it can’t be done. It can. But instead we are witnessing the great deflection which keeps Congress busy whining about this and that, posing for photo ops, making statements about the budget/debt ceiling, wringing hands over their re-election prospects, etc.

Be nice if we had those in the Pentagroin who would call this shit out for what it REALLY is. But, oh, no, can’t be seen as racist, can we? Do the military a favor. Pick up a faggot, and beat a liberal with it.

• Kathy says:

Yep, it’s okay for us to be tolerant and understanding of all the muslim crap, but we have to label all the others as hate groups.

I’m drawing a mental picture of your last statement there and it sounds like it’d be fun.

I echo Buck. The military is the last bastion of American principles and tradition which is why the Left wants to change it.

Odd though that they don’t decry Islam with regards to all that head chopping stuff, killing infidels, and the like.

7. upaces88 says:

I aave heard about the “Anti-Christ” since I was a child.
    I do believe Obama IS the “Anti-Christ.”
    He has made himself and his intentions very “transparent.”