The Mess and the Hook

Welcome to the national government of the United States of America.

(pic from idreamofclean.net

The table above represents the Declaration of Independence and is buried under all this stuff. The preservative of the table is the U.S. Constitution. The preservative will eventually be obliterated as all this stuff rots.

What we are witnessing in D.C. can be likened to those unable to work in an office that is so cluttered, ‘they don’t know where to begin.’  Is the national government out of control?  No, because being out of control implies it can be brought under control and, it cannot be brought under control. The national government is unmanageable on any level.

So what to do? Attorneys involved in a jury trial (at least the ones I worked with), developed a singular theme (hook) from which all communication with the jury hung. From opening to closing statements, it all had to hang from this one hook.

Hook

Back to the mess in D.C. Is there a single theme on which all might agree? Perhaps not. But I am going to share mine.

Shrinking the size of the national government is the key. And that begs the question, how do you shrink it?

Enter the hook …  Isaac Newton’s Third Law:

“To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.”

• For every piece of legislation passed, there must be included the elimination of 250 laws
  • For every Executive Order signed, the President must eliminate 2 others he has signed and eliminate 100 from other Presidents
  • For every regulation issued by any Department/Agency, 150 must be eliminated.

This should clean up the table and stop the rotting.

While not a perfect idea, it’s a start.

What do you think?

Tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to The Mess and the Hook

1. Blessed B. says:

Great Ideas! It’s kinda what I have had to do at home….for every new item that comes into the household… two or more must be thrown out!

• Mrs AL says:

Thanx, Blessed B. Isn’t that something, that you are actually doing this. Guess I better take my own medicine and follow your example. You should see some of my tables- haha

• Blessed B. says:

LOL! The living room is the worst of it all…the kids just have so many toys! It’s difficult for them to have to get rid of any! So I quietly remove a couple when they are asleep!

Kitchen table is a depository for papers, receipts, pens and whatevers! I’m forever cleaning it off!

It’s a never ending story!!

• Mrs AL says:

The kitchen table depository is one of the great mysteries in life to me. It’s the same with us and it was like that in my parent’s home. As you said, “a never ending story.”

That’s a great start, and I’d add that next we need to move onto all the various departments and agencies, and cull out the ‘non-essential’ employees as they’ve been labeled.

Here’s another off-the-wall though I’ve had for a while – how much could we save if they all drove their own cars to work like the rest of us do? Except for the king, of course – he’s got to have his bullet-proof carriage. I read somewhere that in 2011, there were over 250,000 federal government vehicles – that’s a lot of car payments we’re making!

• Mrs AL says:

Not to be cynical Kathy, but I will, I would think that non-essential employees are about a dime a dozen by this point in our history.

And I like the car idea. They can get to the job just like everyone else!

3. Buck says:

Someone needs to make a list of all the government agencies that are either nonessential or duplicated or could be better administrated on a state level.
    That would clear out about 99% right there.

I’m with Buck. We have far too many agencies that overlap with State agencies. The fedzilla could easily be trimmed down. We could start with the EPA, The Dept. of Education, Dept. of Agriculture, – all are duplicates. We pay for both.

Another thought I had, especially after this shutdown fiasco with our national parks – wouldn’t it be great to get rid of the NPS and revert those parks back to the states? We don’t need this national level of Gestapo, and it’s a given the states could run them more efficiently.

6. bullright says:

Hey, Mrs AL, I kike the idea and I really like the hook metaphor. Yea, Its a start. I have a little pet peeve on legislation. Any new legislation (after meeting the other criteria) must be labeled truthfully — like real estate.disclosure. That ends the lying in the title. Then people know something by the title. ( a joke, since we’re using the “hook”….remember most of these pols are attorneys so they’re good at getting off the hook, or around it)

Good post, Mrs. Al. Definitely a thought-provoker. All have good ideas, but I like mine. ONE well-placed meteor would fix it. GOD, YOU READIN’ THIS??????

• Mrs AL says:

Thanx, Clyde. You can always be counted on for a bottom-line solution to what could be perceived as a complex problem! Glad you’re back.

8. Bobbie Kelley says:

It’s a great idea. My sons work in DC a lot; with the DOD, NAS and other agencies. they are practically bald now due to pulling their hair out dealing with the tsunami of regulations piled on regulations, many of which are in conflict with each other. Every newcomer to every agency writes ‘bright’ new regulations. The problem is they never do away with the old ones. Chaos and incompetence is the order of the day EVERY day in DC.

• Ayn Rand said,
      There’s no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren’t enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What’s there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted and you create a nation of law-breakers — and then you cash in on guilt. Now that’s the system.
      From her book, “Atlas Shrugged”

• Mrs AL says:

Hey, Bobbie, maybe there is a government subsidy your son’s could apply for in order to get those hair plug thingies — haha

Actually, what you describe is sad to the core.

9. Grey Neely says:

Mrs. AL, I agree. But who “Bells the cat”? The trouble is you and I are dealing with a bureaucracy. Bureaucrats will do anything to protect their “empire” that they manage. Even Ronald Reagan was unable to do much more the limit the growth of the “empire”.

I am afraid that we have reached the point that will require a complete takeover of DC by the “people”. This could mean bloodshed or at the least the show of force. At that time the “reset button” could be pushed. I see no other viable solution at this time (short of Clyde’s meteor strike).

• Mrs AL says:

Indeed, Grey, the empire people will do most anything to keep their position, etc. I worked in State government for a few years and it drove me nuts. And the national government has to be much worse.

If we manage to hit the point of being able to push the “reset button,” I wonder to what point or time the button pusher will reset to? Hope the right folks win and the button they push is the correct one.

10. Gunny G says:

It is also high time to seriously look at the various useless gov’t agencies and start to get rid of them. The EPA for one, is holding back the economy and w/o them, we’d be kicking some serious butt.

• Mrs AL says:

You and Buck are right, of course. I was kind of thinking that eventually, many agencies/departments would eventually just go away given their inability to regulate us to death.

• Mrs AL, the only way to get rid of an agency, once it is in power, is to have a Sunset Provision in the originating legislation, with a DEFINITE statement of purpose in that legislation. At least, this is the way I see it. As far as I know, there are NO Sunset provisions in any federal government regulations, originating legislation, or other pertinent bureaucratic nonsense.
        Further, there should be a LAW, that ONLY amendments to the basic legislation that PERTAIN TO THAT BILL would be permitted, and EACH piece of legislation stand on its own passage.

Personal Opinion.

11. Gar Swaffar says:

I like it, it sounds like a plan I could easily live with, and the problems would go away sooner, rather than later.

12. vonmesser says:

I’d settle for a 3:1 ratio. Write one, delete 3. That’s an overall reduction of 2 each time.

Then add this: Every law passed expires on the 31 of December on the even numbered year either 4 or 5 years from passage. It may be extended in 4-year increments by simple majority vote with NO change or amendment.

What that will do is limit how long the law is in effect, and allow citizens to vote on their reps just before the law is due to expire.