The Discussion Zone – Sept. 25, 2013

As the population grew in the United States, so did the national government.  The national government ought to be shrunk in proportion to the population.

The Republican Party is not a mess.  I would much rather be part of a political party that is “divided” on some issues than be a part of a party whose membership engages in sheep-like agreement with a failed ideology.

Anyone who makes speeches or comments about guns and talks about guns being loaded with “bullets” should not be speaking.  Guns are loaded with rounds, not bullets.

The concept of being “law abiding” is in the eye of the beholder.  While there used to be a pretty consistent definition, today the term has been perverted and jumbled to the point of being meaningless.

Ineptocracy – (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy): A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.  (H/T Rose Ann)

How pathetic that there are so many chronically unemployed that they can’t sing this song.

There you have it.  Comment on what’s written or add your own to open a new line of discussion.

Request:  I am looking for a permanent pic to put at the top of these posts.  Ideas will be appreciated.

~ Mrs Al

Tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to The Discussion Zone – Sept. 25, 2013

Mrs. Al, a good post, but with one flaw. The Republican party LEADERSHIP is a mess. They have strayed WAY too far to the left, as to be indistinguishable from the democrats. McCain, Graham, McConnell? Cornyn, Cantor, et al ? Not exactly conservatives, IMHO.

• Mrs AL says:

I agree the leadership is a mess, Clyde. They have been for quite some time. That said, I guess I would still rather have a ‘messy party,’ than one that is a massive undifferentiated and often rigid whole. That’s dangerous, IMHO.

2. Buck says:

Well, Clyde, the problem will not be solved in any near future time because the RINO’s in charge of the party are living well off the crumbs from the party in charge plus there are so many rich contributors that a stick of dynamite wouldn’t budge the established.

The government will never voluntarily shrink until we revolt and demand it. They’re much too full of self-importance, and that is our fault. The people run to them wanting solutions for so many things, now they’re giving us solutions we didn’t want.

The Republican party is a mess, but it’s still the lesser of two evils. They’ve been busy fighting the alligators for so long they forgot their main objective was to drain the swamp.

My suggestion for a picture would be to choose one of our founding fathers in talks. Without them, this discussion wouldn’t be possible.

Great thread, Mrs AL !!

• Mrs AL says:

Thanx for the recco, Kathy! I will certainly munge on that for a pic.

> “The people run to them wanting solutions for so many things, now they’re giving us solutions we didn’t want.” And that appears to be the crux of the matter, doesn’t it? Well said.

4. Saltwater says:

The change of meaning for words and phrases, such as “law abiding”, is no accident of linguistic evolution. I see the deliberate perversion of our language as just another step in ‘disarming’ American citizenry. I wrote on this subject at the now defunct Townhall blog site back in December 2008. With your permission, I repost that essay here:

>>>
    Leftists and Language

I have always been cognizant of words. More specifically, the definitions of words and the ideas they conveyed. Reared by an English teacher, books of all types abounded in my childhood home. Reading American classics and English literature became a natural pass time. I devoured prose, poetry, and parable, constantly awed by the vivid images past masters painted using only words.

To be sure, many of the words were unfamiliar. Webster and Roget became my guides as I explored the nuance of each word and context in which it was presented. Five decades later, I still marvel at the majesty of words. My lifelong companions, Webster and Roget, still hold their places of honor on my desk.

Yet, my concern grows for their legacy as leftist politicians corrupt our language in quest for ever expanding power. From quibbling over the definition of is, to proclaiming words are just words, these would be thieves of heritage strive to blunt that sword most threatening – the exchange of ideas and information among a free people. Sadly, their efforts may be succeeding.

AP’s Anne Gearan has placed a figurative shot across the bow of conservatives expounding the values of private enterprise and free marketing. Not content with lambasting US policy, and both Presidents Bush in her article, “Analysis: Pirates, poverty mark US Somalia failure”, Ms. Gearan goes on to equate piracy on the high seas with owning a family business.

“The Somali pirates may be bandits and thugs, but they also are entrepreneurs making do in a place without a functioning government, laws or normal commerce.”

Noah and Peter are turning in their graves.
    >>>

So it continues, from describing pirates as “entrepreneurs” to excusing those involved in criminal activity as (basically) “law abiding”, Statists warp language in effort to convince low information voters there really is no problem. However, if there were, the Statists are ready with a solution in search of a problem.

5. Mrs AL says:

> “The change of meaning for words and phrases, such as “law abiding”, is no accident of linguistic evolution.” Could not agree more, Saltwater. Like you, I have a sensitivity to language and I become infuriated when language is bastardized for illicit purposes. To put it as eloquently as I know how … pine cones!

Thanx, Saltwater.