7th Grader Suspended Over Airsoft Gun on Private Property

Fox News reports: A seventh-grade student in Virginia Beach, Va., has been suspended from school for playing with an airsoft gun with a friend in his front yard while waiting for the school bus.

WAVY-TV reports that 13-year-old Khalid Caraballo will find out soon if he will be expelled for “possession, handling and use of a firearm” because the guns were fired at two others playing in Caraballo’s yard.

A neighbor saw Khalid shooting the airsoft gun in his yard and called 911, telling the dispatcher, “He is pointing the gun, and it looks like there’s a target in a tree in his front yard,” the station reported.

Ironically, the caller’s son was playing with Khalid and Aidan in the Caraballo front yard.

Khalid and his friend Aidan, 13, were suspended for “possession, handling and use of a firearm.” The airsoft  guns reportedly never made it to school property. The bus stop is reportedly 70  yards from the yard.

Khalid claims he never took the toy gun to the designated bus stop or Larkspur Middle School, according to the report. Two other students who fired guns were also suspended.

In a letter obtained by WAVY.com, school principal Matthew Delaney found that the “children were firing pellet guns at each other, and at people near the bus stop.” Delaney states in the letter that one child “was only 10 feet from the bus stop, and ran from the shots being fired, but was still hit.”

The school’s so-called “zero-tolerance” policy on guns extends to private property, according to the report.

Khalid’s mother, Solangel Caraballo, said it’s ridiculous that her son and his friends were suspended because they were firing the airsoft gun on private property.

Khalid told WAVY-TV he thinks the punishment is unfair and may hurt his chances of getting into a good college after graduating from high school.

“It’s on your school record. The school said I had possession of a firearm. They aren’t going to ask me any questions. They are going to think it was a real gun, and I was trying to hurt someone,” he said.

~~~~~~~~~

Here we go again. Peoples’ rights being trampled because gun-grabbers hit the panic button.  The school officials say their zero-tolerance policy extends to private property, but the fourth amendment to the Constitution says otherwise. A person is supposed to be secure on his own property, yet these kids are being punished because of an unconstitutional policy.

The sight of this would alarm any neighbor, but the incident should have stopped there, once it was realized that it’s an airsoft gun AND on private property. End of story.

Are these kids ‘gangstas’ in the making? I don’t know, and it shouldn’t matter as far as their rights go. His concern about his school record tells me no.

I can’t speak to the firepower or velocity of this type of gun, so if you guys have knowledge on airsoft guns, please jump in with your comments.

~Kathy

Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to 7th Grader Suspended Over Airsoft Gun on Private Property

It matters NOT what type of gun the kid had. IT IS A GODDAMN TOY. It “fires” Styrofoam bullets. He was on PRIVATE property. It is NONE of the school’s business. Jesus. There went the pisstivity meter. The Caraballos would be wise to file suit.

2. Mrs AL says:

Note the grip. This young man has been taught something, Unlike the educational system in that district. They are the ones hold the ‘gun’ gangsta style.

• randy63ism says:

Yes, I noticed that too, but I’m not too comfortable with his “booger hook on the bang switch” while the person taking the photo is in front and close. His stance and grip appear pretty good though. Yea, I don’t think he’s a thug-in-training, he is just a kid doing what kids do and have done for the past several hundred years. Just as I did when I was a kid.

• randy63ism says:

Also, notice that he is wearing “eyepro” for safety. Yes, even with airsoft guns, a most wise choice. He’s a smart kid.

• Kathy says:

The educational system has their grip on our kids’ throats these days, Mrs. AL, they aren’t allowed to be kids anymore.

3. BrianR says:

Sounds like it’s time for the parents to fire up the lawsuit machine. I sure as hell would.

As Clyde wrote, airsoft guns fire soft foam “bullets”. They’re completely harmless, and in fact are designed for kids to use to shoot each other when they’re playing cops and robbers or cowboys or whatever.

4. randy63ism says:

Oh dear God! Where do I begin? Massive, and I mean MASSIVE overreach by a school district. I am so appalled by the blatant liberal stupidity that has been running rampant in our nation’s public schools (indoctrination centers) for far too long. Could we not muster the will to organize nationally, a movement, a tax revolt if you will, against all tax revenues used to support school districts, ad valorum property taxes, federal tax dollars, etc? Will the mortal threat to cut off most or all sources of public school funding scare the bejesus out of these administrators of leftist propaganda, and their “re-education camps” that our schools have become? They are OUR schools, we fund them! These asshats are nothing more than parasites on the public dole, using OUR money to fund THEIR sickening agenda of social engineering and implementation of groupthink as per their disgusting ideology. This is a road map towards authoritarianism and our own enslavement, which could quite likely spin out of the leftists control and veer towards outright nihilism (or an islamist coup d’état).

These idiot’s pathological hatred of guns and our 2nd Amendment (along with the 1st, the 4th, etc.) is so rabid, illogical, and counter productive as to distract from any real, meaningful action to resolve the root causes of our social ills, which as we all know, would prove all their cherished notions wrong.

God, these people sicken me, it’s airsoft for Christ’s sake, not C-4 or Kalishnakovs!

• Kathy says:

Excellent rant, Randy and I agree with every word you said. I’d love to see some sort of national movement to get our message in their face. It’s time we took our schools back and put a stop to the indoctrination of our kids!!

5. motopsyco says:

Perhaps a massive pro gun protest march is needed in this neighborhood, with a long deliberately intimidating pause in front of the home of the idiot who made the first phone call. At the very least this should involve a massive lawsuit against that person & the school district, say 2 or 3 million each?

6. motopsyco says:

BTW Airsoft guns make great indoor target practice tools and there are actually 6mm paintballs available to fire through them. Many are fairly realistic replicas of actual firearms but with a big red muzzle to let everyone know they are not guns. Lots of fun!

• Kathy says:

So that’s the red thing at the end of the barrel, eh? I didn’t know that – thanks, Moto.

• motopsyco says:

I think the red on the barrel is a federal requirement to distinguish them from real guns. I had to learn these legal things when I had a my C&R license. I let it expire when zero took office because I figured it might not be worth the hassle under demoncrat rule.

This is so absurd that it ranks right up there with the kid getting suspended for chewing his poptart into the shape of a gun.

Oh, how we long for adults to be in charge!!!!!!!!!!!

I can’t wait for the asshat principle to be fired.

8. Buck says:

Here’s the damn problem:

““My son is my private property. He does not become the school’s property until he goes to the bus stop, gets on the bus, and goes to school,” Caraballo told the station.”

The school’s property??????????

Update – Yesterday, those kids got suspended from school for 9 months!!

• Mrs AL says:

Is there ever going to be a time again when kids were expected to work out their differences between them? Golly when I was a kid, I was expected to get along and figure it out. Even in grade school. The only time a parent got involved was when there was excessive violence. Bloody noses happened. Gosh that seems like 200 years ago (no cracks, please — hehe)