What Event Changed the USA Forever?

Those who read, comment and blog here tend to agree that our country is in a mess.

Yesterday we remembered 911 in various ways.  While reflecting on that September day 12 years ago I got to thinking …

IF there was ONE event in the history of this country that has led us to being in this mess, what was that event?  A myriad of thoughts flooded my brain.

So I am asking YOU … what ONE event in the history of the United States contributed most to the mess in which we find ourselves today and WHAT leads you to conclude it was that particular event?

Yes, I have one in mind, but I want to hear what you have to say first.

TAG – YOU’RE IT!!

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to What Event Changed the USA Forever?

Well if I can only pick ONE it would have to be the birth of Thomas Woodrow Wilson on December 28, 1856 for reasons best described by the one and only Thomas Sowell here:

2. clyde says:

The nation being fooled into thinking FDR was a great president. Ushering in the phrase “democrat for life”.

Only one?!? Wow, there’s so many events that changed our history, it’s hard to choose.

I’m gonna go with that Hollywood actor who became president, in spite of the odds, and showed the world what this country was capable of becoming under a true conservative leader. Ronald Reagan, one of the few men who changed the world for the better, only to have it undone by those who followed later.

I just wish he’d had lots more children and grandchildren who were so inclined to follow in his footsteps.

Good, thought provoking topic, Miz A.

4. I would have to say, the assassination of A. Lincoln, for that opened a road leading to the festering boil of liberalism, in all its various manifestations. INCLUDING the assassination of JFK and ITS aftermath.

That’s a tough one, Mrs. AL. So many events have shaped this country.
    But I’ll have to stick to modern time, and the obvious choice for me is the election and re-election of BHO.
    It has torn and divided this country in every way The lies, scandals, further race division, outright hatred among the political classes, the pouring in of dangerous aliens, economic disaster,…etc etc …have made this country unrecognizable.

6. Buck says:

Brown v Board of Education

I agree with Grouchy – Reconstruction under Johnson and the dismantlement of states’ rights. Had Lincoln not been assassinated, states’ rights might have survived. Since the late 1800’s the unconstitutional expansion of government has continued unabated.

8. Mrs AL says:

Fascinating comments all. I thank you for giving me food for thought. FYI, Buck, my husband person would likely agree with you.

9. Saltwater says:

As noted by others, there are very many events leading us down the current disastrous path. I am inclined to agree with clyde’s assessment that our National march to dystopia began under FDR. However, as bad as the “New Deal” policies envisioned were, they could have been relegated to history’s dustbin had it not been for the rise of judicial passive activism at the Supreme Court level.

In the Marbury v Madison decision (1803), the Supreme Court established the principle of judicial review where it gave itself the power and authority to review all legislation for Constitutional compliance. That system worked fairly well until 1937 when FDR, stymied in advancing his “New Deal” policies by a Supreme Court which struck down many of laws as unconstitutional, moved with his court packing plan under the Judicial Procedures Reform Bill of 1937. Although defeated, that put great pressure on sitting Justices to reconsider their positions in face of being marginalized on a larger court.

The gambit apparently worked as a former “New Deal” foe, Justice Owen Roberts, suddenly switched sides, joining the majority opinion in West Coast Hotel Co. v. Parrish (1937) upholding a Washington state minimum wage law.

The floodgates were opened as a series of decisions which essentially rewrote interpretation of the Constitution – codifying most of the previously “unconstitutional” laws passed as part of FDR’s great plan.
    In United States v. Darby Lumber Co. (1941), the Court upheld the Fair Labor Standards Act regulating production of goods shipped across state lines. In that decision, the Court also stated the 10th Amendment was not considered to be a limitation on Congressional power.

In United States v. Wrightwood Dairy Co. (1942) the Court upheld federal price regulation on interstate milk. Followed quickly by its upholding of the Agricultural Adjustment Act of 1938 in Wickard v. Filburn (1942). These two decisions effectively gave Congress a signed blank check when it came to asserting Commerce Clause standing behind nearly every harebrained scheme hatched by Liberals/Progressives on Capitol Hill since.

Great commentary, Saltwater, I hadn’t realized how all-encompassing the Commerce Clause had become, and it appears to be huge ‘miscellaneous file’ that’s vastly overused.

11. Buck says:

Mrs AL:
    I’m glad to know I’m not alone in the thoughts…

12. Mrs AL says:

I echo Kathy’s comment, Saltwater. Great commentary! And Buck, you are certainly not alone in your opinion.

13. pepperhawk says:

Mrs. Al,

Always thinking are you! I would have to say Woodrow Wilson and the creation of the Federal Reserve which was done so secretly they all met on a train at different places to go to Jekyll Island and hatched up this retched and evil scheme. From there it’s been downhill ever since. Reading the “Creature from Jekyll Island” has the whole story of what was going to happen to us even now. It’s a scary book to read since it is so prophetic.

• Mrs AL says:

The Federal Reserve never even occurred to me, Pepperhawk! Thanx for stopping by. Will be putting up a new one very soonly. I think you will like it better — hehe

• pepperhawk says:

Mrs. Al, I cringe at your evility. You always come up with these hard questions you ask. But that makes it interesting and intriguing. BTW, everyone is liking your term “resident’ on my blog. LOL! 😀

• Mrs AL says:

It’s free of charge! I notice neither you nor hardly anyone on your blog use the Resident’s real name.

Actually the next post will be more light hearted!

• pepperhawk says:

Bloody hell NO I don’t like using that ridiculous Muslim name of his. The things I’d like to call him are unfit to write or read. They would even go against my own blog policies. Hee, hee.
            I’m glad the next will be light hearted. I always enjoy your questions we have to answer. Those are good ones, although you may have something else in mind.

You know I’m signed up to get posts from this site but for some reason I don’t get yours. Don’t get it. So I have to come here and hunt down yours. 🙂

• Mrs AL says:

Oh well, I am sure there is a good reason you don’t get mine, Pepperhawk. I will let you know when I have the new one up.

And btw, don’t blame anyone for not using the Resident’s name. Never thought I would say that about the President of the United States in my life time. While there have been some real clunkers in the WH since I was born, there was never anyone that I would not address as President whoever. I just can’t do with this person.

• pepperhawk says:

Mrs.Al, no I don’t blame one person for not calling him by his real name or position. I’ve never had such animus for a president as this one in all my years too. He doesn’t deserve being called the president as far as I’m concerned. You have to earn respect, not just expect it by doing nothing to get it.